• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style check on my suit please

in_motion

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just want to a critique of my first suit, it's straight off the rack. so far I want to raise the trouser length by a few inches.
It will be used for a friend's wedding in a few weeks, and another one later on this year. I chose a dark navy because I'm hoping it will be verstatile enough to wear for any funerals as well.

Its a studio italia super 100s aussie wool.
For the wedding I'll be wearing a black shoe and belt instead of brown. SF has also influenced me to definately wear a white pocket square on the day too
smile.gif

I don't trust my taste in clothes, so I would appreciate any comments.

pic2gd3.jpg

pic1ko0.jpg

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good, however:

1) The tie knot should be symmetrical.
2) I think the trousers are still a little long.
3) The shirt and the jacket both seem too long at the sleeves. Thus your arms look really long.

in_motion

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys much appreciated
smile.gif

Now that you mentioned it I think you're right about the sleeves too, although the sales assistant kept insisting it was the right length. I'm finding my cuffs are riding up the sleeves and disappears when I move my arms. I'll see if i can get that altered too

I rolled up my pants by an inch in this next photo to a height i like, changed to a FC shirt and changed the tie. changed to black shoe and belt too. I added a pocket square using a cheap cotton handkerchief
I dont know why i cant get my knot symmetrical, my knot is the one where it loops around twice in the black tie, and loops around once for the grey tie, depending on tie thickness, not sure what its called.

pic4qp0.jpg

Clark

Reaction score
The Four in Hand tie knot that I think you use is always asymmetrical, which is part of its charm. A Windsor knot on the other hand is symmetrical, which I don't think look so good.

I think your sleeve lengt is perfect and showing the right amound of shirt cuff. I would shorten the pants though.

/C

in_motion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clark
The Four in Hand tie knot that I think you use is always asymmetrical, which is part of its charm. A Windsor knot on the other hand is symmetrical, which I don't think look so good.

I think your sleeve lengt is perfect and showing the right amound of shirt cuff. I would shorten the pants though.

/C

Cheers Clarke. I have to pull the cuff out sometimes so I'll see how it behaves as i wear it.
Did you mean shorten the pants even further from the above pic where i rolled the pants up? or did you mean from the first pic where it was unrolled

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great. Fits extremely well for off the rack. I like it with the plain blue tie. It is the collar in the first picture that looks a bit askew and highlights the tie's assymetrical look. Might just be the angle of the photo.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the sleeves look fine as well. You need to put a dimple in yor tie which will also make the knot smaller..After loosely tying your tie, grip each side of the front of the tie beneath the knot between your thumb and index finger. Give it a quick, firm tug. Voila, dimple!

Enfo

Reaction score
pretty good for off the rack.

that pocket square added a lot to it... i like that.

pants are too long but you know that already.

in_motion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
Looks great. Fits extremely well for off the rack. I like it with the plain blue tie. It is the collar in the first picture that looks a bit askew and highlights the tie's assymetrical look. Might just be the angle of the photo.

it never occurred to me that my ties are assymetrical, I always thought it was just a triangle lol. I like it small though.

Originally Posted by KObalto
I think the sleeves look fine as well. You need to put a dimple in yor tie which will also make the knot smaller..After loosely tying your tie, grip each side of the front of the tie beneath the knot between your thumb and index finger. Give it a quick, firm tug. Voila, dimple!

Oh yeah have to note that, i definately need a dimple this i know how to do. It means I have to tie the tie shorter and pull down more to make the dimple. Unfortunately its late here in Sydney and i've taken the suit off to try. Thanks for pointing that out!

Clark

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in_motion
Cheers Clarke. I have to pull the cuff out sometimes so I'll see how it behaves as i wear it.
Did you mean shorten the pants even further from the above pic where i rolled the pants up? or did you mean from the first pic where it was unrolled

Oh, I referred to the first pic. In the second the pant length looks ok, even though it is hard to see due to picture quality.

/C

penguin vic

Reaction score
Pretty darn good fit for off the rack with no alterations. The jacket shoulders are too wide but a size down would probably be too small for you.

The tie knot looks fine.

Personally, I would opt for a solid or muted / self stripe for a wedding.

JR88

Reaction score
I would not wear light brown shoes with this suit, which fits you well overall (I will not feign suprise at that because OTR fits many people with reasonably normal builds just fine.)

Shorten trouser length slightly. Tie knot is fine; I like the plain blue better.

PS I have never heard someone get excited about a suit purchase so that he could potentially wear it to funerals.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR88
PS I have never heard someone get excited about a suit purchase so that he could potentially wear it to funerals.

Depends on who died.
eh.gif
I have some "happy ties" waiting in the closet for a few people to kick.

sammy

Reaction score
Not bad for OTR. If you have room, then I would get the waist taken in a bit to give the jacket more shape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads