• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stroller to a funeral (close family member)

Dan G

Reaction score
Pretty crazy to be thinking about the "bright side" of the death of a CLOSE FAMILY MEMBER. Maybe take some time to spend time with that person rather than daydream about formalwear.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw
Wear it. It is completely appropriate. Everybody there will think you're just wearing some sort of sharp black sportscoat anyway.

Originally Posted by Sator
Yes, wear it.

Nobody will have any idea of what it is, except some much older attendees, who will understand the meaning of your attire. The clueless majority will only have a vague feeling that you have gone to the trouble to dress respectfully for the occasion - with a sports coat and striped odd trousers. Thus to the clueless you will appear more casually dressed in a sports coat, whereas to the small number of those in-the-know you will be seen as being more respectfully dressed. In any case, you will find others have turned out in much more clownish attire such as bright reds, chinos - even jeans. To that crowd any tailored coat would be considered monstrously overdressed - especially if the trousers match.

It's only when ask the SF crowd about it that they actually know enough to say "oh my God, that would be way too dressed up!"

In the real world (where people don't wear 3 piece suits to the beach) something that is going to garner you any attention at a mother ******* FUNERAL is not appropriate or a way to show respect...at all.

While half the clowns on SF probably just make up their faux-style and guidlines as a way to live out their fantasies on the internet, I actually will do "runway to reality." However, at any funeral even I wouldn't wear something aside from a black suit, black shoes, white shirt and dark tie.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dan G
Pretty crazy to be thinking about the "bright side" of the death of a CLOSE FAMILY MEMBER. Maybe take some time to spend time with that person rather than daydream about formalwear.

I thought the modern attitude was to "celebrate" the deceased's life?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
In the real world (where people don't wear 3 piece suits to the beach) something that is going to garner you any attention at a mother ******* FUNERAL is not appropriate or a way to show respect...at all. While half the clowns on SF probably just make up their faux-style and guidlines as a way to live out their fantasies on the internet, I actually will do "runway to reality." However, at any funeral even I wouldn't wear something aside from a black suit, black shoes, white shirt and dark tie.
It seems that these days, wearing a dark suit at a funeral is already flamboyant enough. I'm going to do a Curb Your Enthusiasm at a funeral one day.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect even the people here have no idea about what a "stroller" is. You are just substituting morning trousers for matching trousers on a three piece lounge suit. That's all. Simple.

Top hats, button boots, cane are fine with a tail coat. But a lounge coat HAS NO TAILS. Ergo top hats are incorrect with the lounge coat.

Many non-SFers regard a charcoal two piece to be the equivalent of spats and top hat anyway. Even dressed in a charcoal two piece lounge, you would outdress nearly everyone else there as it is. That is why it is better to "dress down" for the clueless in "sports coat and striped trousers".

Dan G

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I thought the modern attitude was to "celebrate" the deceased's life?

Thats a great idea in theory, but out of the many funerals I have attended, none of them seemed like celebrations.

Secondly, this person hasn't even passed away yet. Seems like a premature celebration, heh?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that there should be photo opportunities with the deceased after the funeral. It might even be a way to make money--similar to those Memories of Disney photos that they hawk at amusement parks. The Victorians used to take posed photos of the deceased.
%20%20Victorian%20post%20mortem%20photos-1.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator

Many non-SFers regard a charcoal two piece to be the equivalent of spats and top hat anyway. Even dressed in a charcoal two piece lounge, you would outdress nearly everyone else there as it is. That is why it is better to "dress down" for the clueless in "sports coat and striped trousers".

Aside from the voices in your head, please cite your sources.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would feel incredibly awkward wearing a stroller to an event (particularly a somber one) where no one else would be. Would you wear a tuxedo to a dinner party when you know everyone else will be in suits? You would look ridiculous.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a good chance that you may be the only one wearing a charcoal colour two piece lounge suit to the funeral. Would that stop you?

BTW all we are talking about is substituting a pair of striped trousers. That's what all this fuss is about!!!!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More times than I care to remember, the death of a loved one has been at hand. The notice provided time for last moments with the person as well as preparations for the anticipated passing and funeral.

If it were me, I'd discreetly make sure my charcoal suit, black tie, black shoes, and white shirt were clean and ready for wear. If anything needed to be purchased, then I'd send someone out to fetch the items. I personally wouldn't want to be perceived as being more concerned about my appearance during a time of bereavement than about the loss of a loved one.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
I will admit that my knee-jerk reaction was "no" because I was conflating morning suits with strollers. I think the former would stand out too much and garner too many "monopoly man" remarks as to be a distraction. But for goodness sake - a stroller is perfectly fine!

lordofpi

Reaction score
Well, now that many of you have weighed in, let me address the criticism that I expected:

(1) As stated by other posters who read the inital post, I am not attempting to outdress anyone or appear foppish by coming in full morning dress. There is not going to be any walking cane, top hat, ascot, or rickshaw -- let alone tails and cutaway.

(2) Just because I have time to ask a question about proper attire at a funeral, a funeral which I've accepted is very likely imminent, does not mean I am not spending as much time as nature permits with my family. Do the rest of you never think of possibly needing a black suit until you get out of the shower the morning of a funeral? I am just trying to be prepared, since I know that my attire will be the least of my worries when the day comes.

(3) Independent of (and before I was aware of) an impending solemn daytime event, I was already going to buy a stroller suit sometime this month. My tailor already knows I want one, and is just waiting for the day I walk in to start fitting. Once I became aware that a member of my family was on his death bed, I thought it may be more fitting to have the stroller made with black jacket / black waistcoat to honor my uncle instead of the typical neutral colors that would be used on some other occasions. I am the closest family he had in recent years; all I want to do is show respect to the man and the people who love him.

(4) Oft-times in life, especially nowadays, we are confronted with the dichotomy between what is apropos and what is commonplace. Would I wear a tuxedo to an event that was listed as semi-formal eveningware, even though I knew the people who were attending would ignore the host's request? Yes.

If you can comprehend the above, then I restate the crux of my question: all I was ever really asking was if it would be appropriate to wear, essentially, a black three-piece suit with different patterned trousers to a funeral?

I know many of you may feel a stroller to be inappropriate, but please say so while at least acknowledging the spirit in which this is asked. I hope this clears things up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads