• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stretch selvedge denim choices

Andurew Choi

Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently trying to find a pair of good stretch selvedge jeans. My thighs and glutes are quite large and I unfortunately like a slim silhouette. I've tried APC's petit new standarards, two pairs of unbranded, and I can't quite find the perfect balance of comfort and aesthetics. I've tried momotaros on once, and I loved them, but the size was one too small, and now I can't find a store near me that carries them.
So I'm looking to try and find a pair of stretch selvedge that will fit me well. Like I said, I like room in the upper thighs, but nice taper below the knee. I know of naked and famous and nudie jeans, but can anyone vouch for those specific stretch jeans or recommend another pair?

Thanks!

ultravisitor

Reaction score
So I'm looking to try and find a pair of stretch selvedge that will fit me well. Like I said, I like room in the upper thighs, but nice taper below the knee. I know of naked and famous and nudie jeans, but can anyone vouch for those specific stretch jeans or recommend another pair?

Try the Brut Knute from Nudie. You may have to size down more than usual as they run pretty large, but they can look fantastic. Don't just go by pics of them. You really have to see how they fit in person.

Andurew Choi

Reaction score
Try the Brut Knute from Nudie. You may have to size down more than usual as they run pretty large, but they can look fantastic. Don't just go by pics of them. You really have to see how they fit in person.
My, thighs and glutes are pretty large so that fit would work out, but I'm not sure if they're worth 300 dollars. Do you own a pair?

ultravisitor

Reaction score
My, thighs and glutes are pretty large so that fit would work out, but I'm not sure if they're worth 300 dollars. Do you own a pair?

Yes. They probably fit me the best of any jeans I've tried on in years. Nudie is a good company to buy from, too, so I don't mind spending that much. Instead of the Dry Orange Selvage version, you could opt for the Dry Navy Comfort. Sure, they won't be made of selvage denim, but they'll still be made of nice, organic denim, and you could probably find them for less than $185 somewhere online. Plus, the pocket stitching is navy instead of orange, so the back of the jeans won't look so loud.

Andurew Choi

Reaction score
Yes. They probably fit me the best of any jeans I've tried on in years. Nudie is a good company to buy from, too, so I don't mind spending that much. Instead of the Dry Orange Selvage version, you could opt for the Dry Navy Comfort. Sure, they won't be made of selvage denim, but they'll still be made of nice, organic denim, and you could probably find them for less than $185 somewhere online. Plus, the pocket stitching is navy instead of orange, so the back of the jeans won't look so loud.
Ahh I see, that might be a better option, but for 185 dollar for jeans that do not have the selvedge stitch would be sort of a shame for a jean thats supposed to be rolled. All my denim are really short right now, so I am looking for a sort of longer pair. I just ordered a pair of easy guys from NF, I'll see how those fit.

I recently bought the Shockoe denim that has 2% elastane, and I absolutely love it. First denim I've owned with "stretch" and really only stretches when I need it (like when bending down and crouching)

Interesting, I'll have to check out the fits. Does the elastane cause the denim to have a larger permanent stretch than a 100% cotton denim would?

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Ahh I see, that might be a better option, but for 185 dollar for jeans that do not have the selvedge stitch would be sort of a shame for a jean thats supposed to be rolled.

Why? Selvage denim isn't that big of a deal when it can be bought for less than $50 these days. If your concern is that people recognize how much money you spent, then make sure to point out the pocket stitching and branded leather patch on the waistband.

mcdecker1

Reaction score
Re: permanent stretch, my assumption was that there would be LESS permanent stretch, but the sales associate said it would be about the same. I haven't worn mine enough to comment on how/if mine have stretched.

akjc

Reaction score
Rag and Bone are surprisingly good for this. I can't recommend them enough.

Andurew Choi

Reaction score
Why? Selvage denim isn't that big of a deal when it can be bought for less than $50 these days. If your concern is that people recognize how much money you spent, then make sure to point out the pocket stitching and branded leather patch on the waistband.
Its not so much that I want other people to know, the stitch just really appeals to me when I cuff, and I usually cuff.

Re: permanent stretch, my assumption was that there would be LESS permanent stretch, but the sales associate said it would be about the same. I haven't worn mine enough to comment on how/if mine have stretched.
ahh, my assumption is that there would be more stretch. Back when I used to wear the stretchy jeans when i was younger, and I hadnt washed them for a few wears, they would get pretty loose, and then tighten back up after i washed them. I would think if I had constantly wore them for 6 months straight without a wash, they would get pretty loose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads