• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stocking a Kitchen

coachvu

Reaction score
For a nice, cheap 10" pan, look at this Calphalon on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Comm...2468441&sr=8-4
This is their old top-end end before they came out with Calphalon One.

I also agree about cutting boards. I got some thick, heavy duty plastic ones from a kitchen supply store. You don't have to worry about them cracking or absorbing other foods, and they're easy to clean in the dish washer. Plus, they have multiple different sizes.

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
*Also, which knives are essential for the kitchen? I've been told either an 8" Chef's or a Santoku, a paring knife, and a bread knife by google. Does that sound about right?

That's what I started with, and those are still my go-to knives. I think my Chef's knife is a 10", though. Go with Forschner, either the plastic handles or rosewood. Plastic is cheaper and dishwasher safe, but the rosewood looks nicer. This brand routinely comes up as equal in quality to Wusthof and Henckels at a much better price.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
That's what I started with, and those are still my go-to knives. I think my Chef's knife is a 10", though. Go with Forschner, either the plastic handles or rosewood. Plastic is cheaper and dishwasher safe, but the rosewood looks nicer. This brand routinely comes up as equal in quality to Wusthof and Henckels at a much better price.

i'd probably argue the equivalence of forschner and wusthoff ... but it certainly is a good value. BUT, don't EVER put good knives in the dishwasher. it takes two seconds to wash and dry them by hand and it will prolong the sharpness of the edge immeasurably.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you know nothing about kitchens why spend a fortune on stuff? Buy cheap brands/tools and upgrade when or if you decide to kick things up a notch.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am not much of a cook, but that will not stop me from suggesting "splurging" (for this budget) on Sabbatier 4 star (the ones made in Thiers) 10" chefs and 5" boning knives with the white pressed linen handles, a bunch of el cheapo Forschner paring knives, and 140mm Misono santuko, with relevant steels and stones.

- B

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Vox, if someone touched you with something inexpensive (let's say, I dunno, an acrylic freezy-mug), I fear you would turn to stone.

el grande tempo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Vox, if someone touched you with something inexpensive (let's say, I dunno, an acrylic freezy-mug), I fear you would turn to stone.

Probably it would turn him into frozen ****, not stone, revealing what he is quite clearly full of.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas

Those are inexpensive. I think.

Originally Posted by el grande tempo
Probably it would turn him into frozen ****, not stone, revealing what he is quite clearly full of.

I was worried that you were too depressed to post, so it is good to see some signs of life.

- B

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I am not much of a cook, but that will not stop me from suggesting "splurging" (for this budget) on Sabbatier 4 star (the ones made in Thiers) 10" chefs and 5" boning knives with the white pressed linen handles, a bunch of el cheapo Forschner paring knives, and 140mm Misono santuko, with relevant steels and stones.

hmm, who am i to argue with the great Vox? but really, all you need for 99% of cooking is a chef's knife and a paring knife. boning knives you can pick up if you decide for some reason you want to fabricate meats ... santokus? never really did understand the appeal. if you're starting out, i would definitely splurge on the chef's knife ... sabatier 4-star is fine, as is elephant. but that's tricky advice because there is so much crap sabatier out there. i'd really recommend a standard, high-quality brand like wusthoff. for the paring knife? pick up whatever is cheap that feels good in your hand.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
hmm, who am i to argue with the great Vox?

Feel free to argue with me on this topic...I hardly ever cook and do not have the amateur interest in it that brings joy to many. I like eating what others cook, generally.

but really, all you need for 99% of cooking is a chef's knife and a paring knife. boning knives you can pick up if you decide for some reason you want to fabricate meats ... santokus? never really did understand the appeal.

Well, with the 10" chef, a smaller lighter and very sharp knife is handy as an alternative.

if you're starting out, i would definitely splurge on the chef's knife ... sabatier 4-star is fine, as is elephant. but that's tricky advice because there is so much crap sabatier out there. i'd really recommend a standard, high-quality brand like wusthoff. for the paring knife? pick up whatever is cheap that feels good in your hand.

If I remember correctly, there isn't trademark exclusivity to the Sabatier name, even within France. So, wise cautionary note.

- B

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
If I remember correctly, there isn't trademark exclusivity to the Sabatier name, even within France. So, wise cautionary note.

you do remember correctly. sabatier and laguiole are two of the most bastardized brands in cooking. both are umbrellas with separate marks that offer among the best and among the worst of their types.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
you do remember correctly. sabatier and laguiole are two of the most bastardized brands in cooking. both are umbrellas with separate marks that offer among the best and among the worst of their types.

smile.gif
That's funny, because I think that Thiers-Issard, who make the four star Sabatier also make a set of bee-decorated steak knives.

- B

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1 sauce pan
1 frying pan
1 bigger pot (stock pot/dutch oven/something like 6qts)
1 baking sheet

This will take care of you...then add on as you see fit. Maybe you decide your frying pan isn't always big enough or you want some cast iron--get a 12" lodge skillet. Maybe you find yourself reheating a lot of small servings of soup/sauce--get a little tiny saucepan

It is much better to buy a few essentials and then grow your collection to fit your needs rather than end up with a bunch of crap you don't use.

Also, its good to know where you can cheap out. My 6qt stock pot is pretty cheap (not super-thin covered in non-stick cheap) but it works right for boiling large quantities of things--it will only be replaced with a le creuset since it would be a little more versatile (and I grew up using one in place of a 6qt stock pot). Your skillet should probably be pretty good, I can't see why you would want to cheap out here. Saucepans could swing either way--My bigger one is rather nice but I just bought a mediocre small one from ikea for heating up a cup or two of liquid. Baking sheet can be cheap as hell if you are just going to mostly use it for frozen things (and not extensive baking)--avoid the non-stick coatings and get a chunk of metal that you can scrape on with a scotchbrite pad.

For knives, I have some henckels/wustoff look-alikes from a cheap set, as well as a good 8" chefs knife, a bread knife, and another paring knife. The only time I use anything other than the chefs knife or the paring knife when cooking is if the knife has just been used to cut raw meat and I need to cut a vegetable or something...in which case I grab the big santoku from the cheap set.

8" might seem big...but I actually wouldn't mind growing to a 10" now that I am used to the proper technique...I just need a bigger cutting board to have room for all of that blade.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Also, its good to know where you can cheap out. My 6qt stock pot is pretty cheap (not super-thin covered in non-stick cheap) but it works right for boiling large quantities of things--it will only be replaced with a le creuset since it would be a little more versatile (and I grew up using one in place of a 6qt stock pot).

this is true ... in fact i'd ask why in the world you would ever want a cast-iron stock pot? total waste of money and it'll be heavier than a mother. Get a decent one with a relatively heavy bottom. since everything you're going to be cooking is going to be suspended in water, scorching won't be an issue. and be sure to get one that comes with a pasta pentola and a steamer. that's among the most-used pots in my kitchen.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
+1 on the bigger yet cheaper pot. In fact, I'll be picking up a 7 or 8 quart stock pot this weekend from a kitchen supply store. Should be no more than $35 but I have been seriously needing one for a long time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads