• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, I realize this is a St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread, but I'm planning my first order for St. Crispin's and am wondering if any member has ever been regretted a St. Crispin purchase due to the cost versus other high end brands? Value is all relative in the "luxury shoe" market, but wanted your thoughts given relationship with the brand.

I like St Crispins over other high end UK brands such as EG/G&G/JL. Have no experience with Besttetti, Meccariello, or the Japanese MTO makers so couldn't comment.

But SC's leather usage is not quite as good as the rest, IME.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have yet to regret any purchases from St Crispins (2) but then again I have yet to regret any of my purchases from Edward Green (10) or John Lobb (1). But I think you can tell my experience level with these brands are probably on the low side compared to most here. But I am a shoe enthusiast and the 2 pair I have received with regards to look, feel, and finishing of the shoe were outstanding. The box they came in, which won't be used for anything but storing is a bit underwhelming. But these are boxes and they do what they are intended to. They certainly however do not detract from the over all experience in my opinion. The shoes I received equaled if not surpassed the pictures I saw that made me desire to purchase the shoes I chose. Mostly because I can now say I own those shoes, and yes they do look and feel every bit as good if not better than I though they would.

However when you ask whether someone regrets their purchase or if something meets their expectations I think besides getting their opinion it might also be helpful if you had an idea as to what their experiences with buying that level of goods are so you would have a better idea as to what their expectations might be. But if you were to also scan the entire thread I think you would probably find that St Crispins generally meets or exceeds most posters within this threads expectations. I may have missed something but I think most of what I have read here is positive if not highly praising the brand.

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, I realize this is a St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread, but I'm planning my first order for St. Crispin's and am wondering if any member has ever been regretted a St. Crispin purchase due to the cost versus other high end brands? Value is all relative in the "luxury shoe" market, but wanted your thoughts given relationship with the brand.

The perception of value is not only relative, it is highly subjective. As one ascends the RTW hierarchy, progressively higher premiums are paid for smaller increases in quality. Whether it is "worth it" is very much a subjective perception. Some would argue that EG / G&G are not "worth" the premium they command over Carmina. I would not be one of them, but I could see their point.

I am well pleased with the value equation of my 3 pairs of St. C.

@gusvs - those are just gorgeous - Santa was very good to you.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IOW, there's no significant difference in the techniques or the materials used in a $600.00 RTW GYW shoe and a $1200.00 RTW GYW shoe. (Where have we heard that before?)

I do get a kick out of the patterns. On a fairly regular basis, an individual will pop in here with question after inane question. Within a week or two, that same person is answering the next new guy's inane questions with information gathered from his own questions the week prior. The process completes the circle when the first individual starts debating the merits of shoe care with the guys who answered his questions in the first place.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IOW, there's no significant difference in the techniques or the materials used in a $600.00 RTW GYW shoe and a $1200.00 RTW GYW shoe. (Where have we heard that before?)

Saint crispins is hand welted and pegged at waist. So it does offer differentiation against high end UK makers.

The upper leather used is different tho, they do use more parts of the hide for making.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Saint crispins is hand welted and pegged at waist. So it does offer differentiation against high end UK makers.

The upper leather used is different tho, they do use more parts of the hide for making.

Yes, I understand...perfectly. That's why I specified GYW (goodyear welted). IMO, St. Crispin's are good value...they could probably and reasonably charge more...esp. in the global village.

And FWIW, only about 25% of any hide is prime, #1 leather...so using more might be arguably less.

--

Last edited:

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he was just drawing a parallel between patrick_b's post and...that...discussion that we've had in the past. I don't think he was chiming in on the current topic of the quality of St. Crispin's. DWFII knows full well that StC's are handwelted and pegged at the waist as I've seen him talk about them before.

EDIT: ninja'd by the man himself.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think he was just drawing a parallel between patrick_b's post and...that...discussion that we've had in the past. I don't think he was chiming in on the current topic of the quality of St. Crispin's. DWFII knows full well that StC's are handwelted and pegged at the waist as I've seen him talk about them before.

EDIT: ninja'd by the man himself.

:fistbump:

Last edited:

Itsuo

Reaction score
I am in agreement with everyone here. It might seem odd to hear but I've often felt like for what you get in quality and customiszation (compared to shoes priced right below) St.Cs represent a deal. I also think that those who have trouble with fit in the other RTW and even MTO brands will find St.Cs Customized/Personal Last service to be an excellent option.

I also think the service you get at this level far exceeded that which is offered by similarly priced brands with higher production (and perhaps thinner margins).

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in agreement with everyone here. It might seem odd to hear but I've often felt like for what you get in quality and customiszation (compared to shoes priced right below) St.Cs represent a deal. I also think that those who have trouble with fit in the other RTW and even MTO brands will find St.Cs Customized/Personal Last service to be an excellent option.

I also think the service you get at this level far exceeded that which is offered by similarly priced brands with higher production (and perhaps thinner margins).

Great points across the board.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Given its flexibilities and construction methods, Saint Crispins should really be compared with the likes of Bestetti, Meccarriello at the low end and semi-bespoke order of Yanagimachi, Fukuda, etc at the high end.

Saint Crispins last modification is okay. YMMV.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

With all of the cheap bastards that flood the secondary clothing market I think you'd be lucky to get $400.

:paranoia: damn. That's no good. Thanks man.

I recently sold a lightly used pair for $850, although I had it resoled and recrafted.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads