• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of using the 25% off offer on the VBC black/white houndstooth.

For winter trousers, I have navy, a couple shades of grey, and a very pale camel; I can see it probably working with navy, but not the others. Any ideas on what else it would pair well with?

I can see it pairs nicely with the dark brown moleskin.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all, quick question.
Tl;dr version: how huge (read: noticeable) of a difference is 1" in jacket length (i.e. The difference between 42r and 44s). Will the 44s look stupidly short assuming the 42r length is perfect?

Full version:
I have a bit of a sizing dilemma. I ordered a 42r contemporary suit. The waist is pretty significantly too small and I could use more room in the chest as well. The 44r measurements on the site actually seem to be closer to what I should be wearing but I realized that too late. What is causing the dilemma are the sleeve and body lengths for me. If I were to exchange, I could go with either 44r or 44s. The 44s sleeves will be perfect at 25" as will the shoulders but I'm worried that the 1" difference in length between the currently perfect-in-length 42r is going to be extremely noticeable. Thoughts?

Just me but to me it would depend on where the jacket length of the 42r is already at. It would bug the hell out of me if 1" difference means above or under my first thumb joint. And I'll say it's easy to shorten the sleeves, not lengthen the jacket.

Last edited:

A-Mart

Reaction score
You're 100% on with easier to shorten the sleeves. I would need the sleeves on a 44r shortened a lot, though and would probably lose a button in the process

ElliotG

Reaction score
for anyone out there, was the best/most common basic fabric for solid white, light blue, and pink to wear under a suit? need to pick out some MTM fabrics for this purpose

In my experience, poplin wears a lot cooler under a suit than broadcloth, oxford, or twill, so you'll get more wear out of it in the summer. It has a nice, basic, "flat" look to it, which I appreciate, but does tend to wrinkle more easily.

You're 100% on with easier to shorten the sleeves. I would need the sleeves on a 44r shortened a lot, though and would probably lose a button in the process

I'd say you're still better off shortening the sleeves. A good tailor can move the buttons, and even if not, 3 buttons are not too weird, in my opinion.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slub, lavender oxford, and brown moleskin trousers. I own a lot of Spier & Mackay lol.

B2EDFE66-524C-4DC7-88FF-71D63558839F.jpeg

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Burgundy and Green slub sportcoats really make me hungry for burgundy/olive suits. I'd get the sportcoats, but I can't justify dropping 500 bucks for a sportcoat just yet.

But anyone know if there's plans for Burgundy suit offerings from SM? I know we're at that intersection between individual style demands and what SM as a company needs to sell in a mass market to remain healthy, but man, I'd love a burgundy suit in 44 Contemporary. The right shade would be an instant buy for me.

konix

Reaction score
The Burgundy and Green slub sportcoats really make me hungry for burgundy/olive suits. I'd get the sportcoats, but I can't justify dropping 500 bucks for a sportcoat just yet.

But anyone know if there's plans for Burgundy suit offerings from SM? I know we're at that intersection between individual style demands and what SM as a company needs to sell in a mass market to remain healthy, but man, I'd love a burgundy suit in 44 Contemporary. The right shade would be an instant buy for me.

maybe the tobacco fresco?

Becon

Reaction score
In my experience, poplin wears a lot cooler under a suit than broadcloth, oxford, or twill, so you'll get more wear out of it in the summer. It has a nice, basic, "flat" look to it, which I appreciate, but does tend to wrinkle more easily.

The great twill versus broadcloth/poplin debate rages on. I can never get a broadcloth shirt to lay flat around the collar and the placket. Twill drapes much better. But twill is too bloody shiny.

lsu123

Reaction score
Are you all sold out of the Moon Brown Merino Tweed SC in Contemporary Fit? I'm size 38 and its showing that size as available on the site, then when I go to add to the cart it tells me the product is out of stock.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52