• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[SOON , A TITLE HERE ]

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think that also describes Don Delillo and Cormac McCarthy.

To be fair, I don't recall DeLillo ever saying he aims to be profound; it just sort of happens with him, occasionally. Not sure about McCarthy...but both writers are ultimately concerned with beauty over meaning.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
See, this is what I'm saying. We should NOT let grad students and those young overzealous professors ruin this for us. Whatever it says, it says by accident, purely from the unconscious noggin' of D. DeLillo.

(You trollin' me, bro?)

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, not trolling. Just poking fun at Delillo's lack of subtlety.

EDIT: I read the free preview pages in that Amazon link you included. I don't know, maybe it's just personal preference, but Delillo's writing is definitely not my favorite. The last full work I read by him was this short story in the New Yorker (http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2009/11/30/091130fi_fiction_delillo), figuring it was short and so I'd give it a chance. I found it to be really inconsequential. I get the impression that he writes without knowing really what he means, basically as you were saying. If I suspect a writer is writing around the point I can deal with that (and like it when it's done well), but if I feel like a writer is writing without a definite point it makes me crazy.

Last edited:

miran

Reaction score

Nah, not trolling. .

Your wife was right about one thing though...this place is full of useful information, about the Mr Porter sales site...

I saw several posts were made, when items that had been listed as SOLD OUT at sales prices resurfaced again...
I don't think the alert option is available on Mr Porter's site, but if styleforum started an alert service, I'd be all attention...

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
“You're not me. You can't feel like I feel."
"I can feel."
"No you can't. You just choose not to feel or something and everything's fine."
"It's not fine. It's just not so bad.”

Nothing is true, everything is permitted. It is difficult to grow older, no?

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, about Ferran Adria's new incarnation of El Bulli... it's supposed to be some sort of all encompassing destination, not just for food. Anyone have more details?

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

“You're not me. You can't feel like I feel."
"I can feel."
"No you can't. You just choose not to feel or something and everything's fine."
"It's not fine. It's just not so bad.”
Nothing is true, everything is permitted. It is difficult to grow older, no?

Literally Every Fight I've Had With A Girl Ever

Last edited:

sdedalus

Reaction score
a fusion of my (strange?) love for webcomics and literature.

Quote:
been reading this off and on for about two years now. each illustration, or comic, can be clicked on and it takes you to a blog posting explaining the scene in relation to the novel and other little details.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^That is really great.

EDIT: I guess that was a pretty weak post, so here's something similar: Zak Smith's page-by-page illustrations for Gravity's Rainbow. Really neat.

MV3yi.jpg

fpfaC.jpg

c74we.jpg

mHJLQ.jpg

V3kmh.jpg

Buy the book or view them here.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads