• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Smart Casual' advice for larger man

Ringerman

Reaction score
Hi,

I am starting a new job where the dress code is 'smart casual' - no denim. My current job just requires jeans and a t-shirt/top so I am starting this wardrobe from nothing. I have 18.5" collar, 50" chest, 42" waist, and I am 6'2" tall, 33 years old, based in the UK. I want to be more smart than casual and have an initial budget of around £1,200. Most of the current staff seemed to be wearing formal trousers and shirt - no tie. Salary is £50k.

Can anybody give me some ideas what would work well for my build, and suggestions on where to buy from in the UK.

Many thanks!

steveabdn

Reaction score
I'm a larger man myself, 50" chest but 38" waist and I think the best advice is to get on a diet. I'm not saying this to be offensive I have just found that most things are made for thinner guys, I'm currently working my way down from 281lbs with a target of 220.

You'll struggle most places but I think TM Lewin may do a 50" suit and I'd suggest starting there, probably with their shirts as well, certainly my thinking has been I'm not spending money on my current shape, I'm wearing low level suits etc until I get myself in shape enough to warrant an outlay on a few bespoke options if required.

Slightly off topic but the fashion for slim fit has been driving me nuts, any time I see something nice, boom, slim fit.

What works well for the build is simple, charcoal and navy suits, blue / white shirts but most importantly don't kid yourself about size, I have suits and shirts I've done this with and they look terrible. All the normal "rules" apply as far as pairing colours etc for outfits is concerned

Good luck with the new job

Ringerman

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advice. You're right about the diet - how are you going about it? I came down from 280 to 260 at the start of the year and have kept it off, I guess I need to get back to eating healthily.

I've got a couple of suits that fit well and are adequate for the moment. I'm unsure about wearing suit trousers without the jacket though - I think with some patterns it's obvious and I figure it's probably a no-no.

As for slim fit I know what you mean - although I did buy a classic fit shirt recently that turned into a tent... I've had some success with John Lewis for shirts.

Again, thanks for the advice and good luck with the diet!

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ringer -

The most important thing is to get clothes that fit well. Also, even nobody else is wearing one, wearing a jacket will help you or two reasons - 1) the jacket can give you a silhouette closer to what you want. 2) it will cover up, and therefore allow you to wear more easily, braces.

The trousers-sliding-down-the-gut issue is a tough one for larger guys. It accentuates the belly, ruins the trouser line, and flares open the pleats that your trousers should have to give you more room. So wear a jacket and braces, and wear trousers with pleats that will sit at your waist rather than your hips.

steveabdn

Reaction score
Hi Ringer,

Unbel has hit the nail on the head, as I said earlier don't cheat on the size, a cheap suit that fits right is always going to look better than an expensive one that's too small!

Sounds like you've got enough to get by for now, I've got my first 2 week weigh in today so will see how that goes but once I hit 220 I'm getting a fantastic suit!!

steveabdn

Reaction score
Hi Ringer,

I'm going low carb and interval training, first 2 week weigh in today and dropped 12lbs so far, expect big losses for the first and maybe second weigh in but I'm 16% through my total of 71lbs to lose already and then I'm going all out on a new wardrobe

In the meantime I'm going to reward myself with little milestones along the way, brigg umbrella for stone and a half down, pair of Vass shoes at 3 stone, things I can keep regardless of size and shape

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Going trough that process in the last 3 years, I can tell you is not easy, but rewarding :) . What you need is a little bit of planning - you will need 2 - 3 pairs of good trousers, a blazer and half dozen shirts, which is very feasible in the budget you have, just to pass the autumn and winter, if all things good, next winter, you will "grow smaller" your clothes. In the UK, for one season clothes M&S is a good source, buy 2pairs of grey flannels, a pair of chinos, and you are set for the season. A navy blazer would not be the best solution, but is the best compromise, and start a fund for your new wardrobe. If you want to reward yourself for the effort you are making, buy some good quality shoes - C&J, Trickers, Etc. or some really good ties. Keep the good work.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The most important thing is to get clothes that fit well. Also, even nobody else is wearing one, wearing a jacket will help you or two reasons - 1) the jacket can give you a silhouette closer to what you want. 2) it will cover up, and therefore allow you to wear more easily, braces. The trousers-sliding-down-the-gut issue is a tough one for larger guys. It accentuates the belly, ruins the trouser line, and flares open the pleats that your trousers should have to give you more room. So wear a jacket and braces, and wear trousers with pleats that will sit at your waist rather than your hips.

Bingo. +1

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics