• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I still tip 15%?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Does a law firm partner deserve less money than an associate because he's doing less work? Should you get a discount on a partner's hourly rate because you did not use the entirety of his knowledge on precedents and cases that are not applicable to yours? More experienced, knowledgeable and customer-oriented waiters get paid more money because the restaurant wants this type of waiters interfacing with the customers. They will not take the risk of hiring less skilled or experienced waiters and have them ruin the experience for the patrons, thereby foregoing future business. You, as a patron, do not make these decisions for the restaurant manager or owner, you just accept the tacit contract that comes with better / higher priced restaurants, which is that service will be more expensive in absolute dollars. If you're going to refuste to pay customary rate for the service, then you should probably not eat at more expensive restaurants, because you're essentially breaching a tacit agreement you made when you booked that table or walked into the restaurant.
I think you're basically agreeing with me. I pay 20% because of a tacit agreement (i.e., a custom), not because the waiter necessarily knows more or deserves more or provides a higher quality service than the waitress at the diner.
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I tip 20% so I don't feel cheap, not because I really give two ***** about service unless it is great or terrible. Let's not kid ourselves here.
+1

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I think you're basically agreeing with me. I pay 20% because of a tacit agreement (i.e., a custom), not because the waiter necessarily knows more or deserves more or provides a higher quality service than the waitress at the diner.
I love agreeing with you. I was also reacting to your rethorical questions about paying someone for skills or knowledge you don't personally use.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Ok, fine, but explain this to me: the waitress at the diner and the waiter at Red Lobster both have about the same level of knowledge, training, qualification, etc. A meal at the diner for two people costs $30 so if you're leaving a 20% tip you would leave $6. A meal at Red Lobster for two people costs $100, so if you're leaving 20% tip you would leave $20. Is there any reason based in logic why the waitress at the diner is getting $6 and the guy at Red Lobster is getting $20? I say no - it's just custom.

Lol. Who does this? Seems incomprehensible, but I have not been to one in many years.

I always tip around 20% regardless of the service or type or restaurant. And if it's a place I frequent, I'll usually do around 25% or more-- helps ensure good repeat service.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 x app - $10
2 x LOBSTER DROWNED IN GARLIC BUTTER ABOMINATION - $50
4 x cocktails/wine - $25
throw in dessert and you're pushing a bill before tax

Which is simultaneously why Red Lobster is an event dinner for a lot of working/middle-class Americans, and why their abysmal reheated frozen food is extra pathetic.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I certainly would not spend good money on one of Red Lobster's concoctions, but if you just want a fresh steamed lobster it is pretty much the only game in town in a lot of municipalities.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
I certainly would not spend good money on one of Red Lobster's concoctions, but if you just want a fresh steamed lobster it is pretty much the only game in town in a lot of municipalities.
They have good biscuits.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to bring back an age-old post, but hopefully I'll be able to provide some insight that the extremely well-off community of SF has never considered about various points brought up in this thread...

1. Re: Indians not tipping/their ordering preferences. For most Indians, America is not their first home. India is very much so a family community, to the point where every person shares plates and food. If they order multiple entrees, it's not done with malice (and if you had any Indian friends, you'd know this) but moreso out of what feels familiar to them. Also, I can't always disagree that Indians can be fairly cheap, but many of them are extremely wealthy and generous with their money (moreso than most white folks I know).
2. While you may all laugh at the idea of "Red Lobster" being considered "high class," just remember, not everyone is as well off as you. Don't knock other people down just because they didn't have the same fortunes growing up that you did; it just makes you look like a huge douche.
3. I always tip based on service. If my point from #2 wasn't clear enough, I'm nowhere near as wealthy as the majority of this board, which is reflected on my dining choices. Ultimately it's both a financial as well as a personal decision for me based on what to tip. As others have mentioned, when I go to a "Denny's" or something of the nature, I tip extremely well (usually in excess of 100%) because the waitresses that I have met there have all been extremely friendly and given constant grief by other awful customers. When I go to a sit-down restaurant, I expect a certain level of service. If, over the course of a meal, a waiter will walk right by my table several times without once asking me if I require anything, or even refilling my water, s/he loses a tip. I've tipped $0.01 to make a point that someone fucked up bad, and I've tipped over 50% of a non-discounted taxed bill for service that was, as someone stated earlier, "artistic." This rule of "always tip 20%" is frankly appalling to me. It's my [hard-earned] money, and if a lazy waiter thinks s/he's getting my money anyway and won't give me quality service, they're in for a treat.

KeatonCollar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Also, I can't always disagree that Indians can be fairly cheap, but many of them are extremely wealthy and generous with their money (moreso than most white folks I know).

I've lost count how many times SA's at stores help those that come in after me. My feeling is that they think cause I'm brown that I'm cheap and that I'm not worth wasting time on to get that commission. I ******* hate that so much. If they only knew the truth...

Hollowthorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KeatonCollar
I've lost count how many times SA's at stores help those that come in after me. My feeling is that they think cause I'm brown that I'm cheap and that I'm not worth wasting time on to get that commission. I ******* hate that so much. If they only knew the truth...
For everyone one of you, there are 99 other cheap asses.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KeatonCollar
If you have an issue with tipping, then don't go out for dinner.

Having to hunt down a waiter who isn't even your own waiter just to get your first refill of water 30 minutes into a meal is a great way to ensure no tip from me. Waiters can do their damn jobs, or I don't tip.

Monaco

Reaction score
Having come from a background in the hospitality industry I can tell you guys right now, giving tip whenever the server does NOT deserve it, will only fuel the ****** service even more. You're not doing anybody or yourself any favors by feeling pressured to give a tip just because it is customary.

Whenever I feel service hasn't exceeded my expectations, I will tip accordingly. I've walked out of establishments without tipping anything. I've tipped well for excellent service, it all depends on the server. But if I see the place is wild and they are short staffed, the server is running back and forth trying his or her best to provide the best service possible given the situation, I'll totally understand.

kmwrestle

Reaction score
I work at a car dealership and the joke re: Indian people is:

"Actually, my cousin in New Jersey, he bought this car for <<Insert stupid low number>>

Indian people always say actually and they all seem to have a cousin in new jersey who bought a car for a totally unrealistic number.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads