• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should a man have a signature scent? How many of you do and what is it?

rjc149

Reaction score
Jersey represent.

Scents and fragrances have a way of evoking fond memories of loved ones. Women especially form strong links between scents, memories, and emotions. My father (by no means a man of small means) wore cheap drugstore Old Spice cologne every day. I remember the dog smelled like it in the morning after getting petted on the head by my father before he left for work. I wear Old Spice deodorant because it reminds me of my father.

My signature scent is Old Spice mixed with slight armpit BO and Bleu de Chanel Parfum, one spritz on each side of the neck, enough to fade into a nice, masculine musk by the time I leave the office. I've been told by women that it's "my scent." I think it's good for a man to have a signature scent that women remember him fondly by.

Knoxwille

Reaction score
I have a signature fragrance until it happens that I meet several people with the same fragrance in a short period of time. Then I want switch :)

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
My routine:
  1. I shoot for that one signature scent and buy something that I think will work.
  2. I realize that I'd like something else for special occasions.
  3. I decide to get something for those really hot days.
  4. Some great smelling odd-ball fragrance catches my attention.
  5. I see a bad review of one of the fragrances I already own and decide I need to replace it with something else (but I keep the original one too, just in case)
  6. Someone gives me a bottle as a gift.
  7. Ahh but what about a fragrance for fall & winter?
  8. Etc.
The closest thing I have to a signature scent right now is Montblanc Explorer because it's pleasant and seems to work for most occasions. I think people who are deeper into the fragrance thing would call this a "dumb reach" or a "daily driver" as opposed to a signature scent.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't believe in "should" but think it's pretty cool to have a signature scent. My dad had his go-to cologne all his life. I reserve cologne for social occasions only - don't the value of any scents at the office, but when I do wear it I try to stick to one. For now I use Sauvage by Dior. I recently got Terre d'Hermes as a gift so I suppose I will add it to the mix.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my boss puts on silver mountain water by creed and it just smells heavenly to me.
I don't have it, but I've seen Armaf Sillage reviewed by quite a few as a spot on Silver Mountain Water clone that is real close.
If you don't like it, you're not out much money.
1636397450471.png

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Here is a question for those who rotate lots of scents, especially like a different one every day.

Do you, gentlemen, rotate your entire outfits with the same frequency as scents tend to linger on clothes and sometimes for quite a while like in days.

And if one uses a new one with the clothes one wore yesterday, wouldn't there be a clash between the new scent and the old?

stinkybarbour

Reaction score
I
Here is a question for those who rotate lots of scents, especially like a different one every day.

Do you, gentlemen, rotate your entire outfits with the same frequency as scents tend to linger on clothes and sometimes for quite a while like in days.

And if one uses a new one with the clothes one wore yesterday, wouldn't there be a clash between the new scent and the old?
Not sure about others, but I wash my clothes after each wear. If you're spraying your jackets and coats with scent then that's a bit strange.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
I

Not sure about others, but I wash my clothes after each wear. If you're spraying your jackets and coats with scent then that's a bit strange.
I don't spray my clothing--a fragrance doesn't develop when it's sprayed on fabric--but my clothes will still often smell because they were touching my skin. With some fragrances, like Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade or Nouveau Monde, the scent will literally linger on the clothing for weeks. Hell, I've even washed some shirts and weeks later I can still smell Ombre Nomade on them. That fragrance is awesome, but sometimes it never goes away.

Karlus72

Reaction score
Simple answer: no.

I wear scents as I wear clothes. My choice of scent depends on the activity, season, weather, time of day, mood, outfit etc. There is already a scent thread on SF, a good idea would be to check it out.
Same thing with me. wearing the same thing every day would bore the **** out of me and make me even hate a fragrance. Its like listening to the same song over and over again

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads