• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell Cordovan Wallet Pron

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

back in the heyday of the B&S forum, there was a steady stream of really well-priced alligator wallets. I purchased an alligator Nieman Marcus for $75, it's served me well over the last 10 years but needs to be replaced. Current cost on the NM website is > $500, so I'm thinking shell is the way to go.

looks like current forum favorites include ashland and chester mox. I also found a reference to angelos leather, these look pretty nice to my eye:
http://angelos-leather.blogspot.com/

Any other suggestions?

best,

Deusis/Guarded Goods

Deusis

Reaction score
back in the heyday of the B&S forum, there was a steady stream of really well-priced alligator wallets. I purchased an alligator Nieman Marcus for $75, it's served me well over the last 10 years but needs to be replaced. Current cost on the NM website is > $500, so I'm thinking shell is the way to go.

looks like current forum favorites include ashland and chester mox. I also found a reference to angelos leather, these look pretty nice to my eye:

Any other suggestions?

best,

Deusis/Guarded Goods

Thanks for the recommendation!

I actually have a few hides of Nile Crocodile, Saltwater Crocodile, and American Alligator on hand if you're still going for something made from that.

Chestnut Saltwater Crocodile (from Heng Long... same tannery Hermes uses)

Black Nile Crocodile

Brown Nile Crocodile

Cognac Gold American Alligator

Otherwise if you want to move to shell, I have plenty of those colors on hand as well. Regardless... send me a PM if you're interested!

Deusis

Reaction score
I'm doing a Trunk Show at the Rider Boot Shop in Richmond, VA the first weekend of May so I've been doing a little prep. It also has been a good excuse to do a few more machine stitched goods as practice.

I'm starting to really feel comfortable with where my machine stitching is. Feedback is always appreciated!

Rocado Whiskey Shell Cordovan Card Holder

Rocado Steel Grey Shell Cordovan Card Holder -- I particularly like this color (this one is hand stitched)

Horween Natural Shell Cordovan Exterior and Horween Pebble Grain Saddle Shell Cordovan Interior

Horween Dark Cognac Shell Cordovan

Stillmaticbeat

Reaction score

Thanks for the recommendation! I actually have a few hides of Nile Crocodile, Saltwater Crocodile, and American Alligator on hand if you're still going for something made from that. Chestnut Saltwater Crocodile (from Heng Long... same tannery Hermes uses) Black Nile Crocodile Brown Nile Crocodile Cognac Gold American Alligator Otherwise if you want to move to shell, I have plenty of those colors on hand as well. Regardless... send me a PM if you're interested!
How much for the alligator I don't see it listed on the site

DavidLeigh

Reaction score

Any other suggestions?

best,

Deusis

Reaction score
I made something a little crazy... I was inspired by Voyej (who made a similarly styled wallet) to make something pretty unique.

I call this the "Frankenstitch" wallet. The entire exterior is made up of different colors or Horween Shell Cordovan in various pieces which are machine stitched to some horsehide. The rest is hand stitched. It was pretty fun to make something like this but it took a ton of time. You can see the entire documented process here.

Irish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up this foldover in No. 4 shell. Beautiful piece of leather. Made by first settlement goods -- it's the same wallet that Context sold. But damn if this thing isn't TIGHT. Can barely get a cc and license in one side.

Product description on Context says it can fit up to 12 cards. That's not happening. But anyone have experience with whether and how much these stretch over time? Thanks.

Deusis

Reaction score
Picked up this foldover in No. 4 shell. Beautiful piece of leather. Made by first settlement goods -- it's the same wallet that Context sold. But damn if this thing isn't TIGHT. Can barely get a cc and license in one side.

Product description on Context says it can fit up to 12 cards. That's not happening. But anyone have experience with whether and how much these stretch over time? Thanks.

Give it time. It'll be tight at first but stretch out a bit as you put more cards inside of it. I bet you'd be able to get 12 cards in there.

Deusis

Reaction score
Let's get this thread back in action with the new upgrade.

I came across a few pieces of Horween Shell Cordovan on eBay. The seller indicated they were from a factory closing down (my guess is Highland), so I picked up a few of the shells. I have three shells of this Dark Red Whiskey (almost looks like a mix of Color #4 and Whiskey) and some Natural as well. The first thing that was curious to me was the stamp on the back. It isn't the stamp Horween currently uses so I emailed Horween to ask when they used this stamp. It turns out the stamp hasn't been used for 20+ years so these are some old shells. Pretty awesome!

WdUn7fA.jpg

WWc40mn.jpg

DzJ4Z7u.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads