1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

SF groupthink requested on sports coat.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PTWilliams, Mar 1, 2011.

1. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Well-Known Member

I just successfully finished the Jan-Feb no purchase club, and will need to sign onto the March club. But first, I am considering this jacket, but as many here may know, my tastes could probably benefit from incorporating some SF groupthink. This used Hermes jacket woud probably cost me $500 plus. I already have a cap that might work well with it, and I am shallow enough to to be swayed by the brand. Your thoughts much appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

I approve of the sportcoat, but would not wear that cap with it. Too matchy-matchy.

EDIT - Also, looking at the pic I would wager a dollar ninety-five it's a 3 roll 2, not a true 3 button. Be guided accordingly.

3. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

Also approve of the sportcoat, but would not wear that cap with it. WAAAAAYYYYY Too matchy-matchy.

4. ykurtz

ykurtz Well-Known Member

5. ykurtz

ykurtz Well-Known Member

If you like that style of cap, I'd go with a glenplaid version for the sportcoat. Or even a solid. Having too many patterns, especially noticeable one's, tends to cause visual chaos.

6. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

I think that pattern would work much better on a shirt or a waistcoat than on a sports coat...

7. CaymanS

CaymanS Well-Known Member

Every PTWilliams thread is WINNING (c) Charlie Sheen

8. MadAboutPlaid

MadAboutPlaid Well-Known Member

I will agree with the general consensus here. I think the sport coat is great and would add it to my rotation in a second. I would not, however, wear the hat with it .

9. tim_horton

tim_horton Well-Known Member

I really don't like the sports coat, but it goes against what I think looks good on me (bold pattern, light base color) so what the hell do I know! [​IMG]

But I agree with the others that i wouldn't wear it with the hat, they look way too similar.

10. AE7

AE7 Well-Known Member

why not stick to the lovely leather jacket with Berlin logo on it? it will look cool with this cap.

11. PTWilliams

why not stick to the lovely leather jacket with Berlin logo on it? it will look cool with this cap.

I wore the Berlin jacket (without the hat) to dinner and a talk on the herpetofauna of New Guinea. Received several complements.

12. Metlin

Metlin Well-Known Member

I wore the Berlin jacket (without the hat) to dinner and a talk on the herpetofauna of New Guinea. Received several complements.

Hereptology creeps me out.

13. acridsheep

acridsheep Well-Known Member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    I don't care for the SC either.

14. Metlin

Metlin Well-Known Member

I don't care for the SC either.

I am guessing that's a hacking jacket? Bookster has a similar looking jacket that's cut better (IMO).

15. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

What is going on with the bondage lining thingy?

16. awxg

awxg Well-Known Member

The SC would have been really nice as an odd vest instead.

17. pvrhye

pvrhye Well-Known Member

Is PT a snakehandler? Somehow this explains a lot. Anyway, I like the coat (though it does feel kinda full through the boobs).

18. PTWilliams

Is PT a snakehandler? Somehow this explains a lot. Anyway, I like the coat (though it does feel kinda full through the boobs).
    Aspired to be a herpetologist all through college, and then found that few people actually had careers in it. Went into statistics instead. There are lectures every two weeks that I attend. Yesterdays talk included discussions of the lizard with green skin, green blood, green bones, etc. Turns out that this seemed to evolve from being unable to eliminate bile, made them jaundis. So the lecturer hypothesizes that maybe this evolved because it was distasteful and would be avoided by predators. So how did he test this? He ate one, raw. The guy is curator of herpetology at the Univ of Louisiana, not some nut case. If the jacket is a bit full in the boobs, maybe I'll grow into it.

19. Jan_

Jan_ Well-Known Member

If the jacket is a bit full in the boobs, maybe I'll grow into it.

I vote for that jacket. Wear it and enjoy it.

20. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

I think the jacket looks spiffy.

I went to UL. What professor? Also, what sorts of statistics? Oddly enough, I spent two years working in nonparametric Bayesian statistics for machine learning.