• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco in June

MyTailorIsRich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
We have zipcar. Parking is expensive, and tough.

And City CarShare.

And consider buying a Muni Clipper Card at one of the big Muni stations on Market Street. You can pay cash on the Muni but the card is a lot less hassle and you don't have to deal with transfers etc. $2 for any entry within 90 minutes (change trains, change directions, no additional fare).

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I missed this thread. Lots of good suggestions for you Huntsman... some I've never heard of. I'd add the bar at Nopa to your list for cocktail places. It's a restaurant bar so not really a place to hang out for a lengthy time, but the bartenders know what they're doing. Maybe go before the dinner rush. Beretta is sort of the same thing. Great drinks, but you're in the middle of the dining room.

You should come a week earlier for the SFxSF meetup at House of Shields. :)

Originally Posted by HORNS
I used to love the Orbit Room on Market St., but I haven't gone there in a few years. They are still known for their cocktails, but I used to go when there was this utterly uncharming cock-eyed chick who made the best drinks.

She used to make an Emma Peeler. Cucumber infused gin martini. Delish.

Originally Posted by Huntsman
Anyone been to this spirts/wine/gear store called Cask? I want to know if their website is making me unduly excited.

Neat store. Nice interior design. Lots of small batch bourbons a few of which were made just for their store.

Originally Posted by binge
I'll also +1 Alembic for both cocktails and food. And the whole Upper Haight experience.

Never been to Alembic, but my friends rave about it.

I need thrift store recommendations. Seriously. Hook me up.

PM me!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, our trip was a little fraught. Those of you who spent time traveling the past few weeks know how bad the delays were -- we missed a day and change of a three-day trip, basically, which meant we missed some stuff and were just too rushed generally.

The Good:
Wilson & Wilson. Superb bar. Excellent cocktails. Gracious service, despite our being 1 hr late for our reservation (really, never expected it would take nearly 2 hrs to get from Mill Valley across the GGB back into SF, and since their number is unlisted, I couldn't call them).

Bodega Hwy/CA-1 from Sonoma south: Wow, what a beautiful way to experience Cali scenery. Even though it was so grey when we were there, the coastline is incredible, and the windingness of the road absolutely terrifying.

Muir Woods: Just wow.

The Golden Gate Bridge: I'm an engineer. I like bridges, but always thought the GGB was kinda meh. Until I saw it. Intense.

D&M Liquors: I missed getting to Cask (Damn, damn, damn) but D&M was pretty awesome, and they had four bottlings of my favorite whisky, Mortlach, of which two came home with me.

Touristy things: We did ride a cable car. It was fun! Plus, it was great talking to the brakeman -- the cars are old, and well made, and the system is technologically very interesting. They also made a wrong turn so we got off a Lombard, which was fun to walk down, and has a nice view to boot. We also got up early the day of our flight out to go to Pier 39 and see the sea lions -- neat to see such large sea mammals waking. I had a 300mm lens with me, so the pics were good too. Alcatraz was surprisingly interesting.

Local Fare/sights: Cheapo mexican and some late night pho were both excellent. Loved the architecture, especially how colorful everything is.

The Bad:

Travel: Everything took longer to get to than anticipated. Traffic was fairly frustrating and weird. That 2 hrs to get back across the Golden Gate (seemed to be merely toll delays) was exasperating.

Mass Transportation Conductors: They know nothing, and clearly would steer us wrong -- out of fun, perhaps? Plus the trolleys are packed to Japanese train-car density.

Haight at night: Seriously scary way drugged out crazy people. Couldn't leave fast enough.

~ H

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Travel: Everything took longer to get to than anticipated. Traffic was fairly frustrating and weird. That 2 hrs to get back across the Golden Gate (seemed to be merely toll delays) was exasperating.

Haight at night: Seriously scary way drugged out crazy people. Couldn't leave fast enough.

~ H

The Bay Area has the worst traffic in CA - far worse than LA.

Agreed - The Haight has a very dark energy about it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you enjoyed a lot of it. It sounds like you did manage to get a lot in just a three-day trip.

Bodega Hwy/CA-1 from Sonoma south: Wow, what a beautiful way to experience Cali scenery. Even though it was so grey when we were there, the coastline is incredible, and the windingness of the road absolutely terrifying.

It's such a beautiful drive.

The Golden Gate Bridge: I'm an engineer. I like bridges, but always thought the GGB was kinda meh. Until I saw it. Intense.
Can you extrapolate?

D&M Liquors: I missed getting to Cask (Damn, damn, damn) but D&M was pretty awesome, and they had four bottlings of my favorite whisky, Mortlach, of which two came home with me.
My friendly neighborhood spirits and wine shop. Picked up a nice Barbera d'Alba there earlier today.

Touristy things: We did ride a cable car.
I dig the cable cars, as an engineer I imagine you had an appreciation for the mechanics underfoot.

Local Fare/sights: Cheapo mexican and some late night pho were both excellent.
For sure, some of our best.

Guessing upper-Haight. Lower-Haight can be sketchy, but in a different way.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Shout out for Mortlach! I'm fairly certain that D&M has the best selection of single malts in town.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Glad to hear that you enjoyed a lot of it. It sounds like you did manage to get a lot in just a three-day trip. It's such a beautiful drive. Can you extrapolate? My friendly neighborhood spirits and wine shop. Picked up a nice Barbera d'Alba there earlier today. I dig the cable cars, as an engineer I imagine you had an appreciation for the mechanics underfoot. For sure, some of our best. Guessing upper-Haight. Lower-Haight can be sketchy, but in a different way.
It actually was more like a two-day trip with the delays -- but I have a good travel partner so it worked out OK. About the bridge? Well, all those Top Ten lists of bridges always has the GG at the top, and I didn't really get it -- I wanted to see the Firth of Forth bridge in Scotland. But seeing the GGB in person you really feel how extra special it is. I envy D&M being your local! I spoke with the grip on the cable car about how it worked, pretty neat indeed. Sketchy section of Haight was near Alembic -- I was properly weirded out.
Originally Posted by imatlas
Shout out for Mortlach! I'm fairly certain that D&M has the best selection of single malts in town.
Glad to see another Mortlach-lover -- it is my favorite whisky.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
About the bridge? Well, all those Top Ten lists of bridges always has the GG at the top, and I didn't really get it -- I wanted to see the Firth of Forth bridge in Scotland. But seeing the GGB in person you really feel how extra special it is.

Even I will acknowledge that it is a pretty good bridge. The view of it emerging from the fog as walk Crissy Field is spectacular.

I need to go lie down now.

lefty

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Even I will acknowledge that it is a pretty good bridge. The view of it emerging from the fog as walk Crissy Field is spectacular.

lefty

Don't worry Lefty. I won't tell anyone that you actually appreciate something about SanFran. Your secret's safe with me.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

lefty

The drive back in to the city from Marin on a nice day with just a little fog still makes my heart race a little.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Similar sentiment perhaps but you're coming home whereas I'm eyeballing an escape route.

Still, nice bridge.

lefty

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even I will acknowledge that it is a pretty good bridge. The view of it emerging from the fog as walk Crissy Field is spectacular. I need to go lie down now. lefty
Is it usually grey and very, very hazy in SF until 3:00-4:00 o'clock or so, and then get grey again by 6:00pm? Or was that just an anomaly of our trip? Unfortunately, it makes for bad photo opportunities:
ggbpano1a.jpg
dsc5773a.jpg

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Morning fog, burns off, fog in afternoon. From my deck, the bay/Marin turns a lovely pastel colour at sunset - pale pink, blue and orange.

Unfortunately, the bridge is rather unspectacular at night.

lefty

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar sentiment perhaps but you're coming home whereas I'm eyeballing an escape route.

Still, nice bridge.

lefty

Have you made it across and into Marin yet?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads