• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In their opinion, rubber would only detract from the look of the boot; or unnecessarily subject it to risk, like ohyehh. And in any case what are the benefits? 

It won't detract from the look of the boots/shoes if done right. There is a proper way of doing it, by removing a layer of the sole and placing a rubber piece in there of the same height then shaving it off and painting the midsole (not sharpie) so that it looks flawless. It's those small details and proper way of doing it that makes a difference.

As for benefits, no more sliding around and crack your head on the pavement when you slip? It's much more comfortable with the rubber sole? Though there are some debate on it, I am on the side that topy does make shoes last longer (especially on the toe and heels which deteriorate faster, metal toe or heel taps works too).

Honestly, just the traction is enough of a reason for me, I walk in too many building with marble floors that is just waiting for ****** to land on them.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classic Shoe Repairs would definitely do a better job than that, and it's not particularly expensive either (cheaper than Timpsons who do terrible work). I don't know if the rubber has any brand, but it's been high quality because it's been very durable so far and I wear these cropped jodhpurs from SS14 almost daily.

On whether to add them or not, the way Classic Shoe Repairs add the rubber sole doesn't really detract from the look of the shoe whatsoever, and for me they're a necessity as regular leather soles get worn down far too quickly, especially with pointed models such as the French / duckies.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classic Shoe Repairs would definitely do a better job than that, and it's not particularly expensive either (cheaper than Timpsons who do terrible work). I don't know if the rubber has any brand, but it's been high quality because it's been very durable so far and I wear these cropped jodhpurs from SS14 almost daily.

On whether to add them or not, the way Classic Shoe Repairs add the rubber sole doesn't really detract from the look of the shoe whatsoever, and for me they're a necessity as regular leather soles get worn down far too quickly, especially with pointed models such as the French / duckies.

Do you mind posting a picture of your jodhpur beaters? I want to see how the leather ages and if it really is that necessary to baby these boots that much.

Death24xASecond

Reaction score
@Death24xASecond hey, I would just ask you slp shop for a cobbler recommendation. I shop at the sf store and they told me a few. I vibrated my black Wyatt's and put topy on my suede jodhpurs. I'm getting suede Wyatt's this week and topy on those as well. The only ones I'm not worried about are mr Santiags as I don't use them as much. I like knowing that I can keep replacing the vibram/topy as it wears out and it also adds a bit of grip. I'll dm you a pic if you are interested in seeing .
Would definitely appreciate it. B Nelson quoted me $40/pair for Topy or similar which is quite reasonable, I think. I'm planning on visiting SLP in NYC on my return to ask about recommendations as well.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
B. Nelson is well regarded.

Whichever shop you use, make sure you leave specific instructions (if not handling it in person).

Last edited:

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thorns I will when I have some time. I don't use a smart phone so it's a bit of an effort for me to get out a camera and then connect it to my computer etc. Hopefully I'll have some time at the weekend.

Honestly though, they hold up really well. I've hammered these in all weather conditions, and worn them to gigs and raves and they still look great after a clean and shine with an old t-shirt (I don't even use polish). They're obviously creased but I like that about them - I personally don't like the look of new shoes.

Death24xASecond

Reaction score
So, somewhat related question. I've realized that the Hedi 30 look is really growing on me. I might get the suede version in the near future. But who else makes similar stuff? My guess is I'll need to look at non-US makers: C&J, Carmina, and the like. But what do you guys think? Particularly interested in the combination of sleek last + higher-than-usual heel.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Story et Fall has 30mm heel boots. More English looking lasts so not quite as sleek/sharp.

hmtwrk

Reaction score
i don't know what the hype is about story et fall. a super round toe on a chelsea boot just looks goofy to me.

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SEF to me isn't super round. I bought and returned the slp Chelsea's actually. They look like any other Chelsea and not worth the grand.

hmtwrk

Reaction score

yeah it's super round and i can't stand the way it looks. if you wear these with SLP you need to get punched.

hmtwrk

Reaction score
...but enough about wack boots. the tan french snap boots have been my goto lately, love the design -- i'd even get a pair in black calf if they offered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads