• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just don't like the advice, it read like you could just go to any cobbler deemed "competent" and they would do a good job and won't damage your shoes. It isn't as basic as you think it is. I've had to go through a handful of cobbler before I found one that does it well and all the others I've tried were deemed "competent" or "good" and been around for ages.

Same goes for tailors, there is this very well regarded tailor that's been in the same spot for decades so I was confident in getting the sleeves on a suit jacket altered but they completely messed up, closed off the functional cuffs and it really looked like these guys had no idea what they were doing.

Death24xASecond

Reaction score
1) To my mind most of the problems you mentioned shouldn't crop up with a competent cobbler, but

2) What do you suggest, then? I'm based in NYC--I'm sure someone in that city is capable of slapping on rubber onto a pair of shoes without wrecking it.
smile.gif

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Again, you would think it is that simple but it just isn't, I learned this the hard way.

I am in Los Angeles and there are many cobblers here that has existed for a decade or longer, many highly recommend them but their work is pretty sub-par. Maybe if someone do not frequent this forum and constantly see great work then you may think the work done is good enough but it really isn't. I've had a pair that the rubber came loose after 2-3 weeks, I have another that was wobbly by the heels, etc... these sounds basic knowledge but most won't take the extra time and work if they didn't have to or some simply do not know to do it.

I am sure there are a handful (a "handful" not all a whole lot) of good cobblers in NY, check out the baller boots thread or maybe even on the MC side (they probably have a thread there) for advice and recommendation.

As I said before, many people here wouldn't spend the time and money to pack and ship their shoes to cobblers halfway around the country if it was as easy as going to a cobbler you found on yelp near your house with 4 stars.

Last edited:

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speak to your local SLP store and see which cobbler they use for shoe / bag repairs. London uses Classic Shoe Repairs - took mine there and they did a fantastic job. Tapered down the rubber at the edges so you hardly see it and it looks really sleek. They have stayed stuck well too even though I wear one pair almost every day in all weather conditions. Other cobblers work has come unstuck after a while and just didn't look as good.

Any luxury store that you have a good relationship should be able to advise you.

AB77

Reaction score
They should be spring summer 2014, seen a similar model but with zippers instead of elastic panels.

The boots arrived today. There's been discussion about the current season boots having wider ankle opening, this one is older model & literally wrapped around my ankle.
BTW this one says made in Italy, I notice a new Santiag in the store marked as made in Spain. Are all the new one made In Spain now?

Last edited:

slann01

Reaction score

The boots arrived today. There's been discussion about the currents season boots having wider ankle opening, this one is older model & literally wrapped around my ankle. BTW this one says made in Italy, I notice a new Santiag in the store marked as made in Spain. Are all the new one made In Spain now?
Then it's probably ss14 since they began with the bigger shafts only with aw14. As far as i know only the santiag batch was made in spain, the majority of footwear is still made in Italy. Quality is on par anyway.

8888oscar

Reaction score
Hi, ive realized the fw15 red black nashville shirt is gone on the official website, and will they ever restock again??

Randeep

Reaction score
Speak to your local SLP store and see which cobbler they use for shoe / bag repairs. London uses Classic Shoe Repairs - took mine there and they did a fantastic job. Tapered down the rubber at the edges so you hardly see it and it looks really sleek. They have stayed stuck well too even though I wear one pair almost every day in all weather conditions. Other cobblers work has come unstuck after a while and just didn't look as good.

Any luxury store that you have a good relationship should be able to advise you.

Silly question but do you know if they use Vibram/Topy/Some other good thin rubber sole there? And can it be done whilst-you-wait? I stupidly went to a .. how can I say it.. working class cobbler that has his stall set up outside of the local Sainsburys (been there for years).. to be fair he has done a decent job of putting on the vibram rubber sole I supplied BUT when he shaved off the excess rubber on the machine he also managed to graze the entire side of the boot (so his angle was too acute, didn't do it with as much care as I'd have liked). When done he simply pulled out a loosely matching marker pen type thing to gloss over the wood!!!! Is this normal ? Should I expect that service elsewhere? The marker has made **** all difference as well cos in daylight you can see the ligher wood where he has shaved through (unless I dab it with say water in which case the wet, 'deeper' looking shade conceals the defect but obviously this makes a fleeting difference). I'm *slightly* pissed off but again the overall boots look a bit more 'worn' in anyway and I always wear with jeans with distressing or detail so it's coherent..

He also managed to like shave into the leather sole where he didn't put vibram either... not sure if he mis-hit with his hammer or just sloppy machine work... for **** sake.

Would Classic Shoe Repairs do a better job based on your experience or are all cobblers like this? :S Presumably Classic Shoe Repairs have a slightly better handle on knowing the value of the shoes they are working with....

I'll attach pictures later on to show the damage, in case anyone is interested.

youwhat

Reaction score
sounds like a nightmare that.

one of the annoying things about shoe repairs / clothing alterations is you usually only get an idea of how good / bad someone is after the damage is done.

Last edited:

therattler

Reaction score
I talked about this at length with the dudes from Sloane months ago, who were of the opinion that I ought to just wait until the sole needed repairs, and then to slap on a new one (only from Classic Shoe Repairs).

In their opinion, rubber would only detract from the look of the boot; or unnecessarily subject it to risk, like ohyehh. And in any case what are the benefits?

The bigger fear for me is suede or the delicate leather of the jodhpurs getting ruined in the rain.

OakGhost

Reaction score
@Death24xASecond hey, I would just ask you slp shop for a cobbler recommendation. I shop at the sf store and they told me a few. I vibrated my black Wyatt's and put topy on my suede jodhpurs. I'm getting suede Wyatt's this week and topy on those as well. The only ones I'm not worried about are mr Santiags as I don't use them as much. I like knowing that I can keep replacing the vibram/topy as it wears out and it also adds a bit of grip. I'll dm you a pic if you are interested in seeing .

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jesse at FJ Western handles all of my cobbler needs. He's a forum favorite for much more expensive/rare footwear than SLP. Put a heel tap and topy on my Wyatts.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads