• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rubber sole/heel

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
I've been looking at dress shoes on ebay, and I've come across numerous pairs that have rubber soles and/or heels. And I'm referring to shoes that retail for 300 dollars and upwards. I feel that this cheapens the shoe, and as far as I'm concerned, automatically rules out that shoe as an option. What is everyone else's opinion on rubber heels/soles?

P.S. To Boot New York is having a sample sale...can anyone comment on their product (quality, appearance, etc.)

Dan

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally don't mind rubber heeled/soled shoes as well although I like leather ones as well. It really depends on the circumstance, I think rubber sole/heel is good for poor weather.

TBNY is a nice affordable/stylish shoe for a decent price.

marc37

Reaction score
[With the exception of a few cowboy boots], l only buy shoes with the rubber/leather heal/sole combo. Much better looking for my tastes.

Leather/rubber combo = real shoes. Wouldn't buy anything else eventhough it makes the shoes wear down quicker.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P.S.  To Boot New York is having a sample sale...can anyone comment on their product (quality, appearance, etc.)

Dan
Details if you can please. Where, when, how much, sizes etc.

-thanks

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
(amirrorcrackd @ 03 Nov. 2004, 10:18) P.S. Â To Boot New York is having a sample sale...can anyone comment on their product (quality, appearance, etc.) Dan
Details if you can please. Â Where, when, how much, sizes etc. -thanks
To Boot New York Men's Annual Warehouse Sale New York's best-dressed men wait all year for this fall sale. This sale features over 2,000 pairs of the city's top dress, business and casual shoes, also boots, sneakers, socks, belts and more at prices 40-80% off regular retail. Men's shoe sizes are 7-13. Prices are: Dress and Business shoes regularly $255-$1100, now $99-$299 Casual and athleisure shoes regularly $150-$495, now $69-$199 Boots Casual and dress styles regularly $350-$795, now $99-$249 Belts regularly $95-$150, now $29 Event Begins: 11/12/2004 Event Ends: 11/14/2004 Event Times: Fri 8:30am-6:30pm Sat 10am-6pm Sun 12pm-5pm Location: 603 Washington St. (btwn. Morton & Leroy) Ground Fl. New York, NY 10014 Payment Type: Cash ONLY

johnw86

Reaction score
While I would prefer to wear only leather-soled shoes for appearance, I have to spend hours on my feet on a time--and my feet just won't take hard soles and heels. I can't consider most of the shoes mentioned on the Forum.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden makes some very nice rubber soled shoes.

Their "commando sole" is quite discreet.

I don't know that I would wear them for a very formal occasion, but for everything else, I think they look fine. Unless you have your feet propped up on your desk, nobody will be able to tell the difference between an Alden commando sole, and a leather sole.

Kai

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Alden fan shoes in the style of the norwegian front blucher oxfords shoes in either shell cordovan black or burgundy are dress shoes which are appropriate dress business shoes. Also, the plain toe blucher oxford in black shell cordovan is appropriate attire for a business suit. These shoes are worn in the conservative business environments. My bias, I do wear these shoes.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the shoes I wear have hard leather heels and soles (Alden, Crockett & Jones). The AE shoes I've bought on the internet have rubber soles and heels, and, for that reason (which is probably subjective), I feel that they are a cheaper product.

profjmb

Reaction score
Rubber soles and heels are more comfortable and last longer. I wouldn't wear them with a suit, but I prefer them with jeans, khakis, and can go either way with nice wool pants.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The shoes I mentioned in my prior reply have a commando sole(rubber sole). These shoes can be worn with a business suit and look very classic.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you need at least one pair rubber sole shoes for rainy/snowy days.

But in general I prefer leather sole and 1/2 leather 1/2 rubber for hill. But for leather sole ones, for 1st 1/3 of the sole, I put rubber thin rubber pad.

johnw86

Reaction score
Alden makes some very nice rubber soled shoes. Their "commando sole" is quite discreet. Â Kai
Thanks to Kai and Michaelw for the Alden heads-up. I'll check them out.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads