• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolex advice please

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I wouldn’t count on anything that old being store for sale, plus why would you want it? It’s almost 30 years old and since then they have made a massive jump in construction. Jon.
Aside from things like the OysterQuartz, some people suggest that the older Rolex models were much better made than their modern counterparts. Indeed, the "Golden Age" (and most expensive era) of Rolex seems to be the '50s through the '60s.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Aside from things like the OysterQuartz, some people suggest that the older Rolex models were much better made than their modern counterparts. Indeed, the "Golden Age" (and most expensive era) of Rolex seems to be the '50s through the '60s.
That’s subjective. I honestly think modern Rolexes with their solid cases and CAD designed and updated manufacturing are better than those of days past. Patek on the other hand? They have gone downhill a bit in quality control from what I hear. Jon.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a hardcore watch guy, but I have and greatly enjoy a stainless Datejust with a plain bezel, white face, and roman numerals. It's understated (at least as far as a Rolex goes), and can be worn casually or with a suit.

I covet the stainless Submariner with the black face. Sure, it's somewhat ubiquitous, but that's because it's a great looking watch (IMHO). Obviously, more of a casual feel.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stainless Daytona. Classic style, and it holds a scarcity value as they are very hard to get. My local go to jeweller has a long wait list to get one. If you end up getting one, I would gladly take it off your hands.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I may have an opportunity to purchase a Rolex basically at cost (met the President last night). I don't really know much about the model lineup. If you were getting a Rolex, what would you get and why? (No diamonds please)

Thanks very much!

Obviously the Daytona, which is limited and grossly overpriced aftermarket.

If he can get you a Daytona at cost, buy 10. Then sell them each for unbelievable to fund a Patek.

Aristocrat

Reaction score
Buy alot of watches, like 5 pieces.
After a week you will know what to pick(Pick two!) Then sell the three left, and buy yourself an patek phillipe!

P.S I would like a 5% for the tip-off
wink.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
That’s subjective. I honestly think modern Rolexes with their solid cases and CAD designed and updated manufacturing are better than those of days past. Patek on the other hand? They have gone downhill a bit in quality control from what I hear. Jon.
Walt Odets famously wrote a scathing review of the modern Rolex watches and from my experience, the ones from the '50s also have a solid case and a very nice bracelet. I honestly feel the finishing on some of the older ones are superior to their modern counterparts. Rolex's basic movement hasn't changed much, I believe with the possible adaption of ceramics.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WIS;

Why do you think that model is a better buy than the Daytona? Are you going by what model you'd actually want to own, or what makes sense in terms of resale? It was my impression that in the latter case, the resale would be the best since a lot of people are looking for them right now.

If someone gave me the offer of buying a Rolex at cost, I would do it only for the flipping potential.

UMass

Reaction score
I have a SS Day Date. I choose it because it is not too flashy and the design is timeless.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stainless Steel Explorer with Black Face

Personally, I have the overly large cyclops on most Rolex watches. A S/S Daytona or Submariner is also a safe bet.

saunderscc

Reaction score
I own two current Rolex models, white stainless Daytona and 50th Anniversary Submariner. I agreed to buy the Sub to get the Daytona--both new at MSRP from a local dealer.

I didn't particularly want the Sub. However, I find I wear it far more freqeuntly than the Daytona because the Daytona lacks a date--which is a total haze. Plus, the green bezel has grown on me and the hands (including seconds) are VERY visible at night.

If I were going to purchase an additional Rolex it would be one of the following:

Daytona/band white gold
Daytona with meteorite face w/ leather strap
Platinum/stainless Yachtmaster
Explorer II

I suppose, if I could get one of those at cost it would be the most expensive of the bunch (that I want), the Daytona in white gold. Although, the platinum Day/Date might an interesting choice.

Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads