1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Rock hard leather inner and outer soles can beat your poor feet to a pulp. Here's what I do....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Sep 26, 2011.

1. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

One further comment...I really do sympathize with you...your whole attitude comes across as someone who has had aching feet all day long...for weeks and weeks. It would seem to me that the obvious answer is to wear running shoes, if you can't handle leather shoes.

But with all due respect, the very fact that many, many people wear leather shoes and never experience the discomfort you cite...don't agree with your extreme hyperbole...ought to move you to question both your assumptions and your conclusions.

That you feel pain is not at issue here. No one doubts that.

Your categorization of leather and leather shoes, however, is suspect at best.

2 people like this.
  2. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Put rubber sole protectors on or buy bespoke shoes with rubber soles. Darltons are pretty bad shoes with non-existent heel pocket that is constantly slipping and super-tough soles that woudl not develop hinge in 20 wears. The fact that they are made of extra-thick shell does not help the issue. Darltons are hands down the most uncomfortable shoes that I still own.

3. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

+1. My leather-soled shoes are more comfortable than my sneakers. Soft != comfortable, at least for more than 30 mins of wear.

You have to be meticulous with getting a perfect fit though.

4. Reevolving

Reevolving Well-Known Member

Yes, and they also died at 25.
    Life was nasty, brutish, and short.
    Give me the neoprene any day of the week.

Well, I have classic Florshiem's, Vass, C&J, and several pairs of Allen Edmonds.
    ALL destroy my feet after a full day. Without exception. Only those with a rubber sole (or heel) are more forgiving.
    I guess one needs to either drop down to the $100 Johnston and Murphy range
    (Heavenly insoles. TOPS in the industry, bar none, unless you're a brainwashed groupthink SF labelwhore)
    or the mythical $1000+ range to get a comfortable pair of shoes. (I wouldn't bet my money on that, however)
    For me, I will stick to $10 gels to make do with my shoddy collection of shoes.

[/quote]

LOL. Like I said, it's 1st grade physics.
    Hard leather is way forgiving than puffy soft cloth and rubber padding.
    Ignorance, indeed. (Or just plain bullshit of the most brazen caliber)
    [/quote]

Ok, NOW we're getting somewhere. Yes, I certainly can't handle wearing leather soles. They are hard as shit on every shoe I own. Looking fabulous is what it's all about, but my feet need a vacation from all this leather soled glamour! Even the ladies can't wear their brutal heels EVERY day. I will be shifting to my workhorse J&M's for the next few days. Thank GOD for $100 shoes with rubber soles and padded inner. Real footwear. Not impractical decorations. Just like high heels. In fact, maybe I should carry a 2nd pair of shoes in my manpurse, just like the smart women do.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  5. hendrix

Honestly if you can fit one of those gel insoles in your shoes they were probably too big to begin with. hence the fit issues.

6. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

only, if they are not fitted, imo.

7. Reevolving

Good point, but these are the very smallest and thinnest heel gels.
    http://www.amazon.com/Scholls-Massaging-Heel-Cushions-Womens/dp/B00099E8W8
    They are from the women's section, in fact. (flame on, trolls)
    They are not like the big footlong inserts you need to cut to size.
    Those kind do not fit in my shoes, like you said.

Regardless, I've already addressed the mythical fit issue.
    I bet I could drive a nail with the insoles, if the shoe were somehow turned inside out.
    Take your pick: Vass AE C&J Florsheim. All could drive a nail, I bet.

8. Reevolving

Ok, some actual reality & facts. Thanks. The shoes do feel bulletproof and thick. I love them. I can tell they're going to last forever.
    The fact that I can only endure wearing them perhaps twice a week should make them last a solid 20 years.
    So, your soles never broke in? Is that b/c you gave up on them? I love how these shoes look.
    I can pay the price of looking fabulous, and if that means feet that are beat to shit, so be it !
    I will break these in, esp, considering that they are $800 shoes. I don't give up that easily !

No, I have not. Do they have padded insoles like Johnston and Murphy?
    (the most comfortable shoe in my collection, bar none (Vass/AE/C&J/Florsheim/Cheaney)

9. hendrix

meh, they're comfortable for me so i guess all i can say is i'm sorry for your situation.

If finances allowed i'd suggest trying bespoke. As we have a similar collection and i feel no discomfort, it is likely an issue of fit.

10. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

+1

this

imo, bespoke wouldn't help as he hasn''t comprehended the concept of shoes and their fit, yet.

11. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

I'm hardly a label whore. No one on this forum or any other would confirm their own ignorance by even suggesting it.

I can see why you have a problem...if you bring the same depth of ignorance to physics as you do to shoemaking and leather.

Your feet would probably hurt a whole lot less if you would take them out of your mouth every now and again.

2 people like this.
  12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

I gave up reading this thread after page 1 so if I am repeating any suggestions, my apologies in advance.
    Some people have bony feet. My father is one of those people, and so am I. Your Darltons, having a double sole are going to take many wearings before they finally give in and moled to your feet. As Teddieriley suggested back on page 1, 27 wearings should do the trick and I would agree with this. DWF always gives excellent advice as well. Try to stick it out and it will be worth it. This reminds me of the old Florsheim Kenmoors. 3 weeks of blood and blisters and they finally break and become a mans favourite shoes.
    If you are really finding it intolerable to wear dress shoes, may I suggest Allen Edmonds Orthotic line and if this doesn't work you may have to resort to the ultimate and final solution; that being feather-lite Rockport DressSports or ECCO's. They may not be 'SF approved' but if your comfort is at stake, then wear what you have to wear. Bally also has quite a selection of featherlite shoes that feel like slippers and may be another option.

13. Yachting Man

Yachting Man Well-Known Member

I also only read the first page and the last comment posted.

I will agree all leather shoes can hurt at FIRST, but after they are broken in, they are quite comfortable and some are very comfortable.

On a side note though, there are many older men (70+y/o) where I work and due to comfort issues many of them wear ecco's. Not that they are completely satisfied with them, but I assume as we get older all leather shoes hurt much more. I'll update you in 15 years when I know more.

14. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Well-Known Member

After being barefoot and or wearing loafers for a good majority of the summer, I find all shoes to be somewhat uncomfortable.

15. Chris Waffles

Chris Waffles Well-Known Member

Hobbes FTW.

16. Reevolving

To clarify, it was the balls of my feet that took the most abuse. With the heel gels, that wasn't an issue. Just the bedrock of the rest of the soles, and the balls being the other main contact point.

If it's really a double sole break-in issue, like the Tootsie Pop owl, I will keep track of the wears, and update you on the day I come home with no tenderness in the balls of my feet.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  17. viator

viator Well-Known Member

Maybe try wearing them for shorter periods of time until fully broken in? You could wear them to work and then change at lunch.

18. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Like DWF has been saying, your feet are designed to be much better at absorbing shock than any shoe. People run marathons on pavement barefoot, even today. Thing is, your foot needs to be able to flex to absorb those forces. Inflexible shoe means your foot can't flex, which means lots of unabsorbed impact.

I have several pairs of leather soled shoes that are just incredibly comfortable. I can be on my feet all day with no problems at all. The last works, and they're nicely broken in. On the other hand, most of my double soled shoes are painful and I still haven't broken them in enough. They seem to take just forever to break in and are a lot less forgiving until they do.

I don't really like wearing athletic style shoes at all now, feels strange being swaddled up in padding.

19. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

I love how the above quote comes from the same hideous, offensive dunce who started a thread about things that aren't worth spending money on and proclaimed shoes are second on the list:

You amazing, toxic, godawful moron.

Dumber and dumber and dumber.

It's official: Reetarded has cripple feet.

Don't bother talking sense to the chimp.

See above.

1 person likes this.
  20. Reevolving

If you learned to read, you'd notice I specifically said BLACK shoes aren't worth spending big bucks on.
    How would a guy say shoes aren't worth it, and then talk about his Vass, AE, and C&J's?
    You really must be one of the dumber posters on SF. Must be tough being you.