• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help replacing Allen Edmonds for 20k steps day travel - b4 feet fall off?

BrightRice

Reaction score
We're about 2 months into an 8th month trip through Eastern Europe, and North Africa, and feet are killing me. I literally want to hit them with a hammer, or have a planet run over them... I need a change.

For several years I've been wearing my Allen Edmonds cause they have the Dainite Sole and are pretty tough to beat up. However, think they've seen their best days (leather is cracking, a hole in the bottom of one sole makes it wheeze when it rains, and no amount of inserts keeps me from screaming each night in the hotel room when my GF (thankfully) rubs my feet. Plus they look pretty dogged. I've put them through lots of snow, mud, trekking etc and some great speakeasy bars, museums and city life.

At 50yo, I just don't have it in me to wear Nike or (wringing hands) New Balance, when traveling. Yes, it would feel fantastic on my feet, I just can't do it mentally. We're typically out all day and then straight to dinner or some bars, so not going to go back to hotel to change from my 'sneakers' into dressier shoes.

I need something (single solution) with more cushioning than the AE's provide, but that still have a classic cap toe, or wingtip 'feel'.. I did some research and thought that Ecco had some passable shoes (pics below) in their 'hybrid' line. But when I went to store today here in Sarajevo - they were as flat on the bottom as a pair of converse. Just super thin sole that felt like it would be torture to walk on all day. This may not be the case?

Avg day is 15-20k steps, so the more comfortable the better. Any ideas on what brands or shoe(s) to look for?

Failing any advice will probs just buy another AE a size larger and buy some better inserts.

(pic - my AEs after light hiking around the top of a mountain today, and after about 35 countries.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 7.54.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 7.54.12 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 7.54.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 7.54.05 PM.png
    982.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5751.JPG
    IMG_5751.JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 106

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that you probably would feel better with something with a crepe sole. Still not nearly as good as sneakers (and new Balances are super hot right now, especially the Kith and Teddy Atlas makes), but that only works if the rest of your wardrobe fits.

I would highly recommend Sanders Chukkas, the style that Steve McQueen popularized but they also make a chelsea boot, and also a derby. I think that Stuarts of London has the best prices: https://www.stuartslondon.com/search/sander-crepe

but in my experience, End Clothing has the fastest shipping:

Crepe is key!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads