• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Robinson's Shoes: Dispute and subsequent resolution.

bayleyshoes

Reaction score
Hi:

Just saw this and joined onto Styleforum to respond. I've dealt with Robinson's in the past and have bought a number of pairs or shoes from them. I have definately been very satisfied with the product, shipping, and response to issues.

I too have had some issues from ordering online with Robinson's. The major irritant was respecting advertised pricing that was shown online here in Canada, and the treatment of the VAT in that case...(.apparantly Robinson's uses a satellite server for North America, and there was some mixup in the way the VAT was handled); I have had times where there were some waits on product not in stock.. ( these were immediately reported to me for my decision on how to proceed). Also..the ties and shoe trees they provided as incentives were ployester (not silk) and plastic respectively...but I looked at these as just throw-ins, as the shoes were the focus.

I found that for the most part, the staff were earnest and sincere, so could overlook some minor irritations on the rigidity of their internet sales system. I believe Robin was genuine in his offer of compensation..... I don't think I would take him up on it, but that'syour call.

I would certainly buy from Robinson's again, as I found them sincere and honest and can overlook these minor issues as they have attempted to address these as best they could.

bayleyshoes

Verrihappy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Dear Mr Stewart, Thank you for taking this matter so seriosly. I did actually receive a refund for the shipping cost, after I wrote the same text as I wrote on here on your Facebook-page I was contacted by another employee of yours and after some time I was finally refunded the money over PayPal.

But of course I still would very much appreciate if you actually would give me free pair of shoes for my trouble, that would definately be making amends for me with your company. I've sent you an e-mail regarding this.
Getting a refund plus a free pair of shoes? What a tosser.

Angeland

Reaction score
Dear Mr Stewart,

Thank you for taking this matter so seriosly. I did actually receive a refund for the shipping cost, after I wrote the same text as I wrote on here on your Facebook-page I was contacted by another employee of yours and after some time I was finally refunded the money over PayPal.

But of course I still would very much appreciate if you actually would give me free pair of shoes for my trouble, that would definately be making amends for me with your company. I've sent you an e-mail regarding this.

Another poster on this board put it more bluntly, and while I don't like to start or swell trouble in an electronic conversation (don't we have enough trouble in our real lives?) I do agree that the very serious complaints you make against Robinson's are challenged by the request you have put to the manager of the shop in public. If you buy shoes from the UK you must accept the return costs, even if the product is defective. If it were not so, English merchants would simply not ship to the USA or English shoes would cost online what they cost in the two brick and mortal English shoe stores in this country (i.e., marked up about $200 per pair).

The reasoning behind a free pair of shoes is difficult to grasp, and I don't mean that rhetorically. Not even Orvis or Allen Edmonds would give a refund and a new pair of shoes. Who has done that for you in the past? I think we will all start shopping there.

Oldguy

Reaction score
Another poster on this board put it more bluntly, and while I don't like to start or swell trouble in an electronic conversation (don't we have enough trouble in our real lives?) I do agree that the very serious complaints you make against Robinson's are challenged by the request you have put to the manager of the shop in public. If you buy shoes from the UK you must accept the return costs, even if the product is defective. If it were not so, English merchants would simply not ship to the USA or English shoes would cost online what they cost in the two brick and mortal English shoe stores in this country (i.e., marked up about $200 per pair).

The reasoning behind a free pair of shoes is difficult to grasp, and I don't mean that rhetorically. Not even Orvis or Allen Edmonds would give a refund and a new pair of shoes. Who has done that for you in the past? I think we will all start shopping there.

Did we ever learn how this saga ended??

Oldguy

Reaction score
What if we were to learn that the offer for free shoes was an offer that was never intended to be completed, done simply as a publicity stunt? What would we think of one who makes such an offer?

Straining credibility, I think refunding his shipping was the right thing to do, and, perhaps, an offer of 10% off anything you'd like...or something reasonable like this?

To offer to literally give away shoes of his choice, for free, over shipping fee, does not sound credible.

This is why I was hoping the original poster would weigh in and let us know how this turned out.

I gave some thought to a large purchase as their prices are good, but the years I have behind me tell me that if something sounds too good to be true, the floater of such is not honest. I hope I am wrong.

I'd just like to know if my instincts still serve me well, even after all these years.

Last edited:

Robin Stewart

Reaction score
You have my word that the offer was 100% genuine! I did not give this customer a free pair of shoes because his case did not justify that....it is as simple as that!
It would be wrong of me to go into the "ins and outs "of this whole affair on here,however if the supposed injured party who made the original post wants me to do that ,then I shall.

LOLHALO

Reaction score
Hi Mr Stewart,

I am writing here because i do think you subscribe to this thread.

I do not want free shoes or anything what so ever. I just want to highlight my exchange with some of your sales staff online.
And the troubles i faced communicating with them.

Please pm your email so i could send you the email exchanges between your staff and me.
Thank you

Yours Sincerely,
Mark

Robin Stewart

Reaction score
Thank you Mark ...my email address is [email protected]. I can assure you that I will investigate immediately.
I have no doubt that my company ....like every other....gets things wrong from time to time,which is why I am happy to deal with complaints personally as soon as I am made aware of them.

Cheers,

Robin Stewart

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for getting back to us. Any details on what happened to his offer?

I guess the offer was hyperbole for the sake of some free publicity.

that helps me decide.

They just didn't get back to me with that issue, that's all, most likely since I told Mr. Stewart that I already had received the refund. And that's all okay for me, since I didn't demand free shoes or anything like that (which some posters above imply), and this matter is all sorted out. I have been in contact with Robinson's Shoes on other matters after this, and everything is just fine from both sides.

Coker

Reaction score
Sharing my current poor experience with Robinson's Shoes.

Their website is misleading, and I'm not sure if it's intentional to secure more orders. I ordered a pair of Loake Cornwall shoes before the start of the UK workday on Wednesday. The website lists it as 'In stock - immediate despatch'. The website also states that orders will ship out in 1-2 days if in stock.

I wrote to them one day after I placed the order to confirm the status, and was told it will ship within 1-2 working days (even though one day had already passed). Now, after 4 working days, it still has not shipped out (their website states that they work Mondays - Saturdays, so as of today it is 4 working days and 5 calendar days).

Even though it's not been that long, I hate to be misled by intentionally false information, and have written to cancel my order unless it ships immediately on Monday.

If you need a quick turnaround, try Pediwear or Herrings or look elsewhere.

Robin Stewart

Reaction score
Sir....I'm afraid that I am not quite sure what point you are trying to make. I would love to speak to you about your "complaint". Please contact me with your phone number and I shall call you,or if you wish ring me on my mobile at any time 07545 152056.I await your response.
Robin Stewart
MD Robinsons Shoemakers

Robin Stewart

Reaction score
You ordered on Wednesday.....this is Sunday....please explain where the 4 working days are......Thursday was day one,Friday day two........Monday and Tuesday are our next working days.....I fear that you are a tad impetuous with your complaint,which along with your lack of activity on here.......makes me rather suspicious.

I look forward to your call.

Robin Stewart.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads