• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snorpley

Reaction score
Visited the Sydney outlet store (Homebush) fr the first time in ages today. $449 for factory seconds, and $499 for seasonal run-outs? no thanks. I'd be just as happy paying retail and not having the ankle hole-punch (in the case of the seconds). Similar story for the ladies boots (price wise). I'd only be buying from there if you found an exact combo you were after in your perfect size. Some online shops do better discounts than the factory seconds.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First wear of these comfort crafstmans

DSC_0354.JPG
DSC_0347.JPG
DSC_0350.JPG

quorg

Reaction score
Box says tobacco suede, but the shade is slightly lighter than I'd expected. I don't own any other footwear in tobacco suede though, so my impression's based on picture on the web.
I got a pair from The Iconic a few months back and it was a bit too light for my liking - not as light as yours though.

Suede protector spray darkened them up a shade which turned out to be perfect. Worth a try maybe?

lookingoodbarry

Reaction score
Can anyone give me guidance on Sydney sizing? I am a 9G in Roo comfort craftsmans. Also wanting to know where to find them in a driftwood or identical color with brown elastic. Thanks!

gr8man

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Quick question, does Rms Chelsea leather soles comes with dust bags in box?
Thanks!

JimC

Reaction score
Hello all,
After losing patience with Blundstone since their dramatic drop in quality over the years I'm now contemplating getting myself a pair of Gardeners to fill the gap left for general purpose/light work/winter travel/etc. boots.
My quick query of the intelligentsia is this: I own a pair of Comfort Craftsman in Vesta and they've served me well over the years (MTO bought long before the LVMH-driven upsurge in price), and I'm curious as to whether you think there's too much overlap between the two. My thinking has been that the Gardener in Greasy Kip and with the treaded sole might be a more utilitarian boot and provide more grip when I'm (occasionally) in snow and ice. But, is it enough to warrant the now ridiculous price on these boots? I figure both give enough flexibility across informal and formal settings to be suitable for travel.
Any thoughts?
Cheers.

shortlefty

Reaction score
Hello all,
After losing patience with Blundstone since their dramatic drop in quality over the years I'm now contemplating getting myself a pair of Gardeners to fill the gap left for general purpose/light work/winter travel/etc. boots.
My quick query of the intelligentsia is this: I own a pair of Comfort Craftsman in Vesta and they've served me well over the years (MTO bought long before the LVMH-driven upsurge in price), and I'm curious as to whether you think there's too much overlap between the two. My thinking has been that the Gardener in Greasy Kip and with the treaded sole might be a more utilitarian boot and provide more grip when I'm (occasionally) in snow and ice. But, is it enough to warrant the now ridiculous price on these boots? I figure both give enough flexibility across informal and formal settings to be suitable for travel.
Any thoughts?
Cheers.

To add on to the top, where is the best place to purchase RM Williams now? Do some retailers still sell for 300-400?

Hurlazza4

Reaction score
Hello all,
Any thoughts?
Cheers.

I own a recently purchased pair of Gardener boots. They are indeed a good cross over between a work boot and (while not formal) can be dressed up a bit. Not sure how that will go once they begin to show a bit of wear from being used as work boots. I bought them because I was tired of disposable work boots like Blundstone, Rossi, Redback etc. All of which are fine but not easily resolable.

My only criticism of the Gardener boots is the sole. It is very hard. Much harder than Dainite or Vibram soles. To the point where I am seriously considering spending more money to have them resolved. The sole is so hard that it's jarring to walk on hard surfaces. I'm sure they are designed for farm work and walking on dirt or grass is fine, but on concrete or other hard surfaces they are terrible.

RM do make a version of the Gardener in a Vibram commando-style sole that would no doubt be better for hard surfaces but it has a natural welt which I don't like. The other odd thing is that the black boots have a brown sole which is not my preference. I guess if I had my time again I might buy the version with the commando sole and dye the welt black.

This is just my view and nothing more but thought it might be useful to hear from someone who owns them.

Cheers

JimC

Reaction score
Thanks @Hurlazza4 . I appreciate the input from someone with first-hand experience.

Is the sole a different compound to the usual rubber soles on the Craftsman? I know my Comfort version will be slightly more cushy given what else is going on inside, so it might be a tough comparison, but I do have a couple of pairs of regular Craftsman that have had rubber soles fitted when resoled. Would they have roughly the same feel as the Gardener?

I don't think I would ever go for the commando version. Looks a bit too chunky for mine and for that I think I'd go for a lace-up.

JimC

Reaction score
Just got my 9G brown vesta comfort craftsmans in the mail (thanks Corey at NYC store!). Really like the more casual and less shiny look as compared with the yearling. So odd that G and H fittings seem to be interchangeable for the most part for me depending on the particular boot...
View attachment 1345371
I know I'm late to the party, but these look amazing. Oddly, my own pair (CC, 9.5F in Vesta) look completely different. Admittedly they were made in July 2012, but I don't remember them ever looking like that. Here's a shot of how they've aged, FWIW. Nothing more than Saddle Dressing and wear.

Attachments

• IMG_4690.jpeg
    IMG_4690.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 267

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics