• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SpeedBird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DJackson
I just received an order confirmation on some french veal calf Macquaries in tan with a screwed chestnut sole. 6 WEEKS yaaarrgh
ffffuuuu.gif

Time will go by pretty fast, it will be worth the wait.

Lancair

Reaction score
Originally Posted by labravajazz
Maybe yes, but also I notice in Australia or in Sydney at least for sure many professionals eg lawyers politicians et al wear RMW with suits - perhaps it's a kind of national dress here or perhaps also because they are about the only good quality shoes generally sold at retail here. As we know best English shoes etc are very rare at retail in Australia. Almost the only other thing you see would be either crap quality lumpy fugly shoes or clowns pointy 2sizes too big spivvy ones with turn up ends also crap quality.

Yep. As an Australian (Adelaide) native, I can testify I've seen them on partners from Big 4 accounting firms, QCs, doctors, many MPs and Senators, and of course former Prime Ministers John Howard and Kevin Rudd.

They're perfectly acceptable with a suit in Australia.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lancair
Yep. As an Australian (Adelaide) native, I can testify I've seen them on partners from Big 4 accounting firms, QCs, doctors, many MPs and Senators, and of course former Prime Ministers John Howard and Kevin Rudd.

I have two pair of craftsman boots (black & chestnut) and regularly wear them with a suit. I wouldn't classify them as sleek but they are certainly appropriate IMO. Also, since they aren't overly sleek, they also look acceptable with casual clothes. This lets me travel with one less pair of footwear since they work so well with business and casual attire.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lancair

I've worn my Baxter boots, on occasions, with a suit, and it looks and feels perfectly fine.

DJackson

Reaction score
Have any of you found a good belt match to RM Williams Tan leather in Veal? Specifically, any of you have the light brown bridle leather from LGC? It seems like that would match. http://www.leathergoodsconnection.com/brlebe.html Or possibly the LGC tan in harness leather? I know for a fact that dark brown (both in bridle and harness leather) are nicely matching to RM Williams Kangaroo Chestnut. Here is my good ol' worn in kangaroo Chestnut Stockman's boot shown with Bridle (brass buckle) and harness (nickel plated buckle) belts in dark brown LGC leather. The bridle leather especially matches more closely in real life. Both belts seem to pick up a burgundy cast in the photo.
belts.jpg
I would say everything in the photo is normally a little darker in person.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DJackson
posting out of pent up excitement - I am giving my Stockmans too much action so decided to get another boot. I just received an order confirmation on some french veal calf Macquaries in tan with a screwed chestnut sole. 6 WEEKS yaaarrgh
ffffuuuu.gif

these are gonna be sweeeeeet

edit: in the far far future I will post some photos

What is a chestnut sole?

DJackson

Reaction score
I'm just referring to the color. I think Tan would normally come with a lighter colored sole but you can pair what you want with an MTO boot so I went with chestnut. Someone posted a picture of their whiskey yearling boots with a rubber (black) sole and the contrast was really nice.

DJackson

Reaction score
Actually, hope no one minds I borrowed pics from earlier in this thread. I believe whiskey and tan are pretty similar in color.

Here is a pic of the whiskey yearling macquaries with the black sole. This is the contrast I am going for with chestnut soles but if it turns out not as striking as this, eh, no big deal:
91764971.jpg

And here are whiskey turnouts with a natural sole:
rmwwhiskeyturnout2.jpg

And whiskey macquaries on the right, with what I assume is the default sole which seems lighter than chestnut but very well could be chestnut in need of some chestnut polish?
Stockyard-and-Macquarie.jpg

HenryFlower

Reaction score
The summary page was last updated 2007. I've tried to go through the past 188 pages, but
plain.gif
. What's the latest on the most recommended purchase route? Still Steve at Nungar? Forum special still in effect?

DJackson

Reaction score
I don't believe the forum special price is still in effect but there is nothing stopping you from ordering that exact configuration.

There are three online storefronts that have competitive pricing:

Nungar http://www.nungar.com.au/
Boots Online http://www.bootsonline.com/
Aussie BushHats http://www.aussiebushhats.com.au

I ordered with Nungar two years ago and have nothing bad to say. Nungar can take custom MTO orders.
I most recently ordered with Assue Bush Hats and their customer service is very friendly and responsive. They also take custom MTO orders
Never ordered with Boots Online but others have reported good experiences and I hear they can take custom MTO orders. So it looks like you can't go wrong.

Also, I visit the NYC RM Williams store once in a while since I live in the area and they are great. They have friendly staff who let you try on boots, no pressure to buy, and are pretty knowledgeable about the different leathers and lasts. The guy who helped me was actually wearing the forum special and it was nice to see in person what worn in veal looks like, and what a screwed sole looks like. I pick up my regular supply of polish there however their boots do end up costing 100+ usd more for the particular boot I ordered than purchasing online (even after shipping & duties). That is likely to change based on AUD USD exchange rate.. right now they are about even. I do feel I owe it to them to eventually impulse buy a boot in their store due to their friendly salespeople and the fact that you can try on different lasts and look at leather swatches.

EDIT: more before you buy the forum special - I would take the Macquarie 555 last into consideration for sleekness as well. Whichever you choose, whiskey colored yearling looks to be a beautiful leather and will save you a load of money over the veal. The screwed sole vs welted did not add any cost to a boot order when I checked and as an example you could pay $270 AUD for a screwed sole Macquarie in whiskey http://www.aussiebushhats.com.au/cat...roducts_id=285. I assume the Turnout with a B529 last will have the same situation. Alas, in spite of this I bit the bullet and ordered mine in deliciously cruel & creamy veal
inlove.gif

DJackson

Reaction score
ooh cool leather. makes you wish feet spend more time at eye level....

edit: what with the intricate detail and all. that's not weird.

dk123

Reaction score

Actually, hope no one minds I borrowed pics from earlier in this thread. I believe whiskey and tan are pretty similar in color.

Here is a pic of the whiskey yearling macquaries with the black sole. This is the contrast I am going for with chestnut soles but if it turns out not as striking as this, eh, no big deal:
91764971.jpg

And here are whiskey turnouts with a natural sole:
rmwwhiskeyturnout2.jpg

And whiskey macquaries on the right, with what I assume is the default sole which seems lighter than chestnut but very well could be chestnut in need of some chestnut polish?
Stockyard-and-Macquarie.jpg
Can those turnouts w/natural sole be ordered from any of the online RM Williams sellers, or does one have to go through RMW directly?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads