• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RLPL models

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well in somehow you think everything is perfect, looking at their clothes, background, music, models you just wanna buy the damn clothes and your brain plays with you :happy:

I've never felt that at all, and I'm the kind of person who buys into almost anything with a decent advert.

To me the RLPL always looked like something you'd see trying to represent the real world. For example if you've read An Inspectre Calls, I would happily set the entire play in a RLPL advert.

There is something a little false about the whole thing. Like someone putting on a play about new money. It feels like a period drama, not a life being lived.

emc894

Reaction score

I've never felt that at all, and I'm the kind of person who buys into almost anything with a decent advert.
To me the RLPL always looked like something you'd see trying to represent the real world. For example if you've read An Inspectre Calls, I would happily set the entire play in a RLPL advert.
There is something a little false about the whole thing. Like someone putting on a play about new money. It feels like a period drama, not a life being lived.

You do have a point. But the fact is it is an ~40 year old American company that aims for an ~80 year old anglo-american aesthetic so it is inherently disingenuous.

As for the Kiton ads, I think that is more lighthearted Italian vs. British/American. Italians supposedly are more concerned about looking as if they don't take themselves or their clothes too seriously and that's expressed in these ads. The austere aesthetic in RLPL ads or what you might feel walking into a savile row shop are just a different attitude.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The primary deficiency of Ralph Lauren advertising over the years is that all of it is completely devoid of a sense of humor and lightheartedness. This deficiency always keeps it one rung below being sophisticated.

A contrary example from the off-the-rack world [images of Kiton ads]

I'm surprised at both your finding the RLPL ads lacking in humour and your feeling that those Kiton ones are sophisticated in their deployment of humour.

RLPL ads are tremendously entertaining precisely because of their over-the-top earnestness. They are overstylised to the point of being an ironic pastiche of what a clothes advert should be, in the same way that the clothes themselves are stylised to the point of being an ironic pastiche of what English clothes are meant to look like. There's a tongue-in-cheek quality to the earnestness that screams out in a very camp voice. It's terribly entertaining to see these ads, and I sincerely doubt that those creating the ads aren't aware of that quality. I doubt they'd ever say it publicly, because that would destroy the fantasy, but the clothes, the poses, and the models are all so ridiculously arch that I have to believe it's intentionally camp.

Even if not intended that way, that amusingly arch/ironic quality definitely appeals to my jaded eye, so I'm surprised it doesn't to yours! Maybe it's just a culturally embedded trait to enjoy laughing at people making an effort while simultaneously rather enjoying the effect it creates.

The Kiton ads feel far more generic to me; very typical "look at us being clever with the branding here" advertising humour.

I'd argue that the RLPL ones are better as can viewed on two levels (the superficial "serious" one, and the pastiche I see them as, thus appealing to two sets of consumers) whereas the Kiton ones are more unidimensional and feel to me like they're trying too hard to be cool and sophisticated.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
While it is possible that RL Inc and its hired hands are slyly making fun of its customers, I think it more likely that what you view as camp is everyday operating obsequiousness to the proven marketing success of s single message over three decades. Try joking about Apple at an Apple meeting, or any other dominant American enterprise.

True believers only. Period.

Those ads are less Algonquin Round Table, and more Heavens Gate. I rather doubt any advertiser finding humor in Ralph Lauren's lifestyle branding would last long in a meeting with the company's bureaucracy.

As for the Kiton ads: I'm not sure that I said that they were sophisticated...just more so for attempting to show aspects of life absent from the RL ads. They had some more interesting ones that I couldn't find quickly...in the few American publications in which they appeared, they stood out dramatically from the usual RL, Gucci, Hermes, etc type of thing. At least, I thought so.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While it is possible that RL Inc and its hired hands are slyly making fun of its customers, I think it more likely that what you view as camp is everyday operating obsequiousness to the proven marketing success of s single message over three decades. Try joking about Apple at an Apple meeting, or any other dominant American enterprise.

True believers only. Period.

Those ads are less Algonquin Round Table, and more Heavens Gate. I rather doubt any advertiser finding humor in Ralph Lauren's lifestyle branding would last long in a meeting with the company's bureaucracy.

You're probably right re: motives/intent.

Still, regardless of intent, I certainly derive more entertainment from the RL ads. And that enjoyment in itself makes me still like the brand, even if I hardly have any of it left in my wardrobe these days.

Mind you, I find myself chuckling at quite a few Tom Ford and Dolce & Gabbana ads too, so perhaps my sense of humour is rather disturbingly skewed.

Last edited:

Sir F

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well maybe you are right, never thought about it that way. I sitll like it but not all RL adv... are like this?

Sir F

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He has a twist on it, if you dont take RLPL for a second and look at this, you see that he has his own thing. And I think it's perfect...

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Purple Label ads are always great; I like to grab the pamphlets when I see them. Also good ones are Phineas Cole by Paul Stuart :slayer:.

Sir F

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Purple Label ads are always great; I like to grab the pamphlets when I see them. Also good ones are Phineas Cole by Paul Stuart
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Hm didn't know about that, google it. Looks little like purple label, there adv.. that is.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, these ads are meant to reflect the old money WASPY northeast lifestyle, or at least what people think that is. A big part of the appeal seems to be the "man of leisure" implications, such as wearing a three piece pinstripe suit, not because you're going to work, but because you are going to a nice lunch in the south of france or the hamptons.

I can definitely see the appeal behind the advertising and yes it is beautiful, even if the actuality of that background/lifestyle isn't what is depicted for many (less these days anyway).

Sir F

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, these ads are meant to reflect the old money WASPY northeast lifestyle, or at least what people think that is. A big part of the appeal seems to be the "man of leisure" implications, such as wearing a three piece pinstripe suit, not because you're going to work, but because you are going to a nice lunch in the south of france or the hamptons.
I can definitely see the appeal behind the advertising and yes it is beautiful, even if the actuality of that background/lifestyle isn't what is depicted for many (less these days anyway).
+ 1

Xenon

Reaction score

You're probably right re: motives/intent.

Still, regardless of intent, I certainly derive more entertainment from the RL ads. And that enjoyment in itself makes me still like the brand, even if I hardly have any of it left in my wardrobe these days.

Mind you, I find myself chuckling at quite a few Tom Ford and Dolce & Gabbana ads too, so perhaps my sense of humour is rather disturbingly skewed.

+1, the RLPL ads are so enjoyable on so many levels- wonderful and ridiculous simultaneously. I could see these being made into paintings, wallpaper etc. I think I need to statrt collecting them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads