• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riccardo Bestetti Bespoke projects.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now that's just brand whoring. Sure Bestetti doe great work for bespoke and novecento line, but his diffusion lines are probably not as good. Same thing with G&G with its superb bespoke shoes but way overpriced and overvalued RTW.

I would either save for Bestetti semi bespoke or go Vash. I know I would be left with a big regret for buying a much lessor version of what I want.

I personally don't see the point in buying anything Bestetti if it isn't bespoke. Kind of like these people buying RTW fosters, or cleverly. It's like asking Van Gogh to draw a smily face on a canvass for you. Got no soul.

Honestly, what are you basing your arguments on?

I've inspected and tried on Bestetti RTW and MTO, seen how they age after several months of wear, and to argue that they are "overpriced and overvalued", that it's like "buying RTW Fosters" or that it "got no soul" is just plain silly to me.

His RTW are of impressive quality and with handwork that are surprisingly close to his Novecento and bespoke shoes (which both are made to exactly the same standard, only difference is the measurement, last making and fitting shoes processes). RTW use aniline leathers of excellent quality, MTO with aniline dyed leather of also high quality leathers but with crust hand finished. The shoes are made in his small workshop by himself and his three staff members, it's not even comparable to Fosters or Cleverley's rebranded Northampton shoes. And this, that it's completely hand made shoes (except the Blake stitch on the Blake shoes), and in MTO cases hand colored, definitely gives it a lot of soul.

Vass are really great value, but that's also the case for Bestetti RTW, IMO. The waist and construction details are definitely superior to Vass, and leathers at least on pair.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not saying they are bad shoes. Never handled them. I am just saying that I don't value RTW shoes like I do bespoke shoes from shoemakers. It cheats the maker, it says I don't value your craft enough to get what you are capable of. I just hold him, and other shoemakers much higher than that. It's a spiritual thing, I guess, but then again I don't just buy clothes.

Last edited:

cgo

Reaction score

I am just saying that I don't value RTW shoes like I do bespoke shoes from shoemakers. It cheats the maker, it says I don't value your craft enough to get what you are capable of. .

but then again not everyone can afford bespoke shoes but that does not mean that a shoemaker's RTW line doesnt have a bit of the shoemaker's soul in them therefore the RTW line can be sort of an entry point

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not saying they are bad shoes. Never handled them. I am just saying that I don't value RTW shoes like I do bespoke shoes from shoemakers. It cheats the maker, it says I don't value your craft enough to get what you are capable of. I just hold him, and other shoemakers much higher than that. It's a spiritual thing, I guess, but then again I don't just buy clothes.

Okay, understand your point, though I don't agree with it. Everyone can't afford bespoke, and if a maker has decided to offer RTW shoes made a bit more simple to a lower price, I can't say that it's cheating the maker. He or she just extends his or hers offerings, an own made decision, and when it's this small businesses they put in a lot of soul and hard work to achieve great things with each RTW pair as well.

cgo

Reaction score

I have a question for some of you gentlemen that own both. If I can only purchase one and they're relatively the same price, which do you think is a better buy: a pair of RTW Vass shoes or a pair of RTW Bestetti's in Blake construction? Which do you think is the better value?

Anyone always give their personal opinions (and they have the right to do so) but may I suggest that you put more weight on those who actually has real life experience with both and therefore can give a more meaningful input to your dilemma? You do need to filter the noise from my experience.

Unfortunately I have not had a personal experience with Riccardo's RTW line (waiting for my Novecento line at the moment). Agree that Vass has a good value proposition but I dont feel their RTW sizing and last "fits" me very well based on a number of shoes I've owned in the past (again, fit is quite a personal thing)

cgo

Reaction score
pardon me I didnt throughly read your post.....you DID ask only those who has owned both. Good start :)

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, understand your point, though I don't agree with it. Everyone can't afford bespoke, and if a maker has decided to offer RTW shoes made a bit more simple to a lower price, I can't say that it's cheating the maker. He or she just extends his or hers offerings, an own made decision, and when it's this small businesses they put in a lot of soul and hard work to achieve great things with each RTW pair as well.

To me the charm of Riccardo is in his bespoke offerings. I have always dreamt of Riccardo's designs and Edward Green quality. Riccardo's shoes are the most comfortable I own, by far. I am also really, really pleased with the aesthetics and fit. But they don't nearly age as well as my Crockett & Jones or Edward Green shoes. So I would never buy his RTW, bespoke absolutely. RTW I would much prefer Edward Green.

dlind

Reaction score

All or nothing, just sayin.
I get what you are saying in your first post even though i don't agree completely. However, your second post is just arrogant. If a person can't afford or don't want to buy a pair of bespoke or semi-bespoke shoes and decides to buy RTW then there isn't anything wrong with that. You can still buy your bespoke shoes but don't put people down just because they buy RTW.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why are you jumping to that conclusion? Sounds insecure on your part. I am not even in the bespoke shoe camp, yet. I'm just saying hold the bespoke makers high. I do. If you are going to buy RTW, buy RTW, not some bastardized version of bespoke.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Honestly, what are you basing your arguments on?

I've inspected and tried on Bestetti RTW and MTO, seen how they age after several months of wear, and to argue that they are "overpriced and overvalued", that it's like "buying RTW Fosters" or that it "got no soul" is just plain silly to me.

His RTW are of impressive quality and with handwork that are surprisingly close to his Novecento and bespoke shoes (which both are made to exactly the same standard, only difference is the measurement, last making and fitting shoes processes). RTW use aniline leathers of excellent quality, MTO with aniline dyed leather of also high quality leathers but with crust hand finished. The shoes are made in his small workshop by himself and his three staff members, it's not even comparable to Fosters or Cleverley's rebranded Northampton shoes. And this, that it's completely hand made shoes (except the Blake stitch on the Blake shoes), and in MTO cases hand colored, definitely gives it a lot of soul.

Vass are really great value, but that's also the case for Bestetti RTW, IMO. The waist and construction details are definitely superior to Vass, and leathers at least on pair.

I do doubt Riccardo is selecting the leathers for the diffusion lines the same way he does for bespoke. I'd be surprised if more than two pairs of bespoke shoes are cut from a single hide. I would think inferior parts of the hide are used more for the diffusion lines. I mean, that is the way it is with many shoemaker/manufacturers.

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To me the charm of Riccardo is in his bespoke offerings. I have always dreamt of Riccardo's designs and Edward Green quality. Riccardo's shoes are the most comfortable I own, by far. I am also really, really pleased with the aesthetics and fit. But they don't nearly age as well as my Crockett & Jones or Edward Green shoes. So I would never buy his RTW, bespoke absolutely. RTW I would much prefer Edward Green.

That's interesting. Is it that he use thin uppers that makes them wear less well, or what is it? My pair is six months and have been worn a lot, and do wear very well for that period, same with a friends RTW, but I obviously can't tell the real long term wear. So it'd be interesting to hear, and also see pics if possible.

I do doubt Riccardo is selecting the leathers for the diffusion lines the same way he does for bespoke. I'd be surprised if more than two pairs of bespoke shoes are cut from a single hide. I would think inferior parts of the hide are used more for the diffusion lines. I mean, that is the way it is with many shoemaker/manufacturers.

Yes, of course. I just said that the uppers on RTW/MTO are of great quality, which they are, but not as good as his Novecento or Bespoke which gets only the best pieces of the best leathers.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics