• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
From here on out, your only clothing purchases will be: a new pair of selvedge jeans once a year or every two years, and a new pack of V-neck undershirts once in awhile. You are Marlon Brando.

Basically. I just need a motorcycle now but **** driving in Korea, I don't wanna die
frown.gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
those look cool. I was wearing my 875's this morning and still can't get used to the weight difference between my torn up MMM sneakers and the RW's, so I usually end up going with the lightweight stuff.
frown.gif
RW's will never get worn in...

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by illumin8em
I had an old guy in a farmers surplus store near where i live ell me to do the same thing. Not with engineers, with a pair of RW pecos, but what works for should work for he other... right?

where did you hear about this method?

Now that they're mostly dry but still damp after more than a day, I'll just say that it seems like it saved at least a week on the break-in process. Went from painfully tight to snug, but still needs some work to mold to the contours of my feet.

Basically on Sunday I dumped water in them, kept them on for about 3-4 hours. Put shoe trees in them at night (this was a mistake, more later).

Next day, wore for another hour. Still wet. I stuffed towels in them as tight as possible, pushing the leather up slightly. Applied mink oil and let them sit overnight.

3rd day, still damp. However, went from pain in putting them on, to having no trouble. Still too snug, but mostly good. Should be comfy in a few more days. I'm surprised how long they hold water though.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
Basically. I just need a motorcycle now but **** driving in Korea, I don't wanna die
frown.gif

lol Have you ever been to Taiwan? I go every few years and it seems like the traffic just keeps on getting worse and worse. Too many people and not enough space. Given the number of close calls I've encountered, I feel that a drivers licence from Taiwan should be accepted and valid in other countries!

rcd213

Reaction score
Any help with a boot recommendation for me? This is the third time I'm posting this exact same reply on a thread, however thus far, I've gotten no responses. I think I'm leaning toward the moc-toe beckman, however I'm open to any/all recommendations. I'm not interested in any of the boots with the white/sponge/crepe sole; I don't really like how they look. Thanks.

Looking into the Red Wing 9011(GT-black cherry), 9010(Beckman- Black cherry), 8111(IR- Brown). and the LL Bean Katahdins. I'm debating on a stylish and comfortable pair of boots, that would complement a nice pair of jeans, with a button-down, cardigan, sweaters, etc, mainly for going out to bars in NYC when the weather isn't agreeable with my other shoes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^You're looking at a few great boots. There's not massive price differences, so really you'll need to decide which ones best fit your style. The moc-toe beckman is a boot i love and want to pick up. It's classic and can be "dressed up" a bit thanks to the lower profile sole (not super chunky). same goes for the GT, which it probably the most versatile, depending on color--black cherry just doesn't work with some pants.

No one here can tell what you to get. You have to make the final call. if you have more specific questions about one of those styles, re: construction, fit, ability to pair w/ certain looks, then you need to ask it that way. you've already narrowed the field, i'm not sure what you're asking for, exactly.

rcd213

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oboy_oboy
^You're looking at a few great boots. There's not massive price differences, so really you'll need to decide which ones best fit your style. The moc-toe beckman is a boot i love and want to pick up. It's classic and can be "dressed up" a bit thanks to the lower profile sole (not super chunky). same goes for the GT, which it probably the most versatile, depending on color--black cherry just doesn't work with some pants.

No one here can tell what you to get. You have to make the final call. if you have more specific questions about one of those styles, re: construction, fit, ability to pair w/ certain looks, then you need to ask it that way. you've already narrowed the field, i'm not sure what you're asking for, exactly.

Originally Posted by rcd213
I'm debating on a stylish and comfortable pair of boots, that would complement a nice pair of jeans, with a button-down, cardigan, sweaters, etc, mainly for going out to bars in NYC when the weather isn't agreeable with my other shoes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

First, thank you for the reply. I agree, the main reason I chose the Beckman, mock-toe and the gt is due to the quality of each and the low-profile sole. The IRs/Katahdin's are very similar, and I've all but ruled them out.
I quoted above, but to reiterate, I'd be wearing them mainly with jeans (boot cut and straight-leg, moderately slim fit). My style is relatively conservative, with the mainstays being button-downs, polo shirts, sweaters, cardigans, nicer t-shirts with jeans; usually with a wool style coat (j. crew university coat) or lighter military cotton jacket. Usually I shop at stores like J. Crew, Martin & Osa, Banana Republic, United Colors of Benneton (sp?), Levis, etc.
I'm 24 years old, 5'10, 180, with a muscular build, so slim fitting shirts and jeans really don't fit me well.
I know ultimately its my choice, but i guess what I'm asking, what would be the downsides to the beckman style, and would it be okay for more than just casual outings, so i'll be able to wear it when going out on the weekends?

allreds

Reaction score
Have you tried on any RWs? I've been thinking about GTs, the Wolverine 1000 mile boots, and White's semi-dress boots. I hit my local RW shop today and found that all of the ratings on Zappos are true; they're flat and not very comfortable. As a such big name in boots, RW fails on comfort. I'm going to try on some Wolverines tomorrow.

obnavox3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rcd213
First, thank you for the reply. I agree, the main reason I chose the Beckman, mock-toe and the gt is due to the quality of each and the low-profile sole. The IRs/Katahdin's are very similar, and I've all but ruled them out. I quoted above, but to reiterate, I'd be wearing them mainly with jeans (boot cut and straight-leg, moderately slim fit). My style is relatively conservative, with the mainstays being button-downs, polo shirts, sweaters, cardigans, nicer t-shirts with jeans; usually with a wool style coat (j. crew university coat) or lighter military cotton jacket. Usually I shop at stores like J. Crew, Martin & Osa, Banana Republic, United Colors of Benneton (sp?), Levis, etc. I'm 24 years old, 5'10, 180, with a muscular build, so slim fitting shirts and jeans really don't fit me well. I know ultimately its my choice, but i guess what I'm asking, what would be the downsides to the beckman style, and would it be okay for more than just casual outings, so i'll be able to wear it when going out on the weekends?
I am the same size as you and I went with the GTs in Chestnut. The black cherry is nice too but I think the chestnut is going to be more versatile. I don't want to throw down any money on some Aldens or anything right now.

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by allreds
Have you tried on any RWs? I've been thinking about GTs, the Wolverine 1000 mile boots, and White's semi-dress boots. I hit my local RW shop today and found that all of the ratings on Zappos are true; they're flat and not very comfortable. As a such big name in boots, RW fails on comfort. I'm going to try on some Wolverines tomorrow.

My RW GTs are really comfortable. It just takes a good month of hard wearing before they reach that point. After broken in they are like butter. And the black cherry color compliments dark denim really well.

Just size down 1. I measure 9 on a brannock but 8's fit me in GTs, with some room to spare. I could probably get into 7.5s even but I couldn't wear thick socks then probably.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I got the chestnut GTs a few days ago....the leather on these does feel softer than the black or black cherry GTs. they've already broken in nicely without any of the ankle scraping that the black cherry's inflicted on me. Color is great, esp after some Dr Martens wonder balsam to give it a protective coat that deepened the color and a few polishings with brown kiwi they look sick as ****. I'm wearing them with the Red Wings socks (thick F***ers) which I think makes a huge difference in how the wear and feel

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I got the chestnut GTs a few days ago....the leather on these does feel softer than the black or black cherry GTs. they've already broken in nicely without any of the ankle scraping that the black cherry's inflicted on me. Color is great, esp after some Dr Martens wonder balsam to give it a protective coat that deepened the color and a few polishings with brown kiwi they look sick as ****. I'm wearing them with the Red Wings socks (thick F***ers) which I think makes a huge difference in how the wear and feel

woa, I didn't know they came in chestnut. Im not a fan of black and wouldn't mind owning a second pair of these boots I like them so much.

re Allreds:There's no way one can say RWs 'fail on comfort' without actually owning and wearing a pair, come on now thats silly. Don't listen to zappos reviews or go by trying them on in a store...as always YMMV.

Fiddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart

Would love to see some shots of these if you have the time!

allreds

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ge Fuzz
re Allreds:There's no way one can say RWs 'fail on comfort' without actually owning and wearing a pair, come on now thats silly. Don't listen to zappos reviews or go by trying them on in a store...as always YMMV.

They're not going to grow arch support. I don't have "problem feet" of any kind, but the RWs are as flat as Chucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads