• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

nemo

Reaction score

Is the moc toe .5 down from the chukka? I'm a 10 in the chukka.

I think the moc toes are styled from hiking/working boots (to be worn with thicker socks and inserts), they are more boxy compared some of the other RW iterations, especially the toe box . As a comparison, my 9012 feels about one whole size bigger than my IR, 4563, or GT. So, my take on it is if you have narrow feet, go a whole size down, half-size otherwise. Also, have to take into consideration being they are work boots meant for hard wearing the leather are not necessarily supple as some office shoes that shapes to your feet on casual wears. For a good fit really have to try it, or make sure where ever you buy it from has a good return/exchange policy.

Last edited:

djh1202

Reaction score
Already been addressed but I wanted to get some more info. I recently got a pair of 875's (factory 2nd's, because I'm a cheapo). What's the consensus with regards to care/waterproofing? It seems that Nikwax is a popular option if I want to waterproof without changing the color too much. I have an old tin of mink oil but I'm not sure the modest waterproofing benefit outweighs the softening/discoloring. Will mink oil help keep the leather from cracking?

Thoughts on care/conditioning? How frequently should I apply product(s) to them? Should I treat them right away or wait a few months until I break them in?

Thanks!

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Already been addressed but I wanted to get some more info. I recently got a pair of 875's (factory 2nd's, because I'm a cheapo). What's the consensus with regards to care/waterproofing? It seems that Nikwax is a popular option if I want to waterproof without changing the color too much. I have an old tin of mink oil but I'm not sure the modest waterproofing benefit outweighs the softening/discoloring. Will mink oil help keep the leather from cracking?

Thoughts on care/conditioning? How frequently should I apply product(s) to them? Should I treat them right away or wait a few months until I break them in?

Thanks!

For waterproofing use Sno-Seal.

For general care, use Obeanauf's Heavy Duty LP. Skip the mink oil.

No need to treat right away. Waiting a few months is fine.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Scott S for the feedback on the break in for 875 versus 1907. I decided to go with the 1907 as I like the shorter profile of the tread on the 1907 and I could immediately try on the 1907 versus waiting on the 875 to get shipped. I have conditioned a few times while breaking them in around the house. Any heel slippage is getting less the more I break in. The sole is pretty comfortable, softer than other crepe soleshoes I have worn, which is what I wanted so I am good there!

thanks again for taking the time to chime in

DuckOB

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update on my black cherry Beckman's. I was ankle deep in mud yesterday so they needed a thorough cleaning. The beauty of products like HDLP is that they make clean up a relatively simple task. I wiped them down with a damp/wet rag. It took a while to get the mud out of all the crevices and I spent a bit more time getting the caked & dried mud out of the welt. I normally use a stiffer horsehair brush on the welt but because of the mud, I fold over the microfiber cleaning cloth and use the wet corner of the cloth to sponge out the welt area. Lastly, followed it up with a good brushing. Obenauf's high wax content even leaves them with a bit of a sheen, especially in the sun. They almost look polished! Wish I took a before pic.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update on my black cherry Beckman's. I was ankle deep in mud yesterday so they needed a thorough cleaning. The beauty of products like HDLP is that they make clean up a relatively simple task. I wiped them down with a damp/wet rag. It took a while to get the mud out of all the crevices and I spent a bit more time getting the caked & dried mud out of the welt. I normally use a stiffer horsehair brush on the welt but because of the mud, I fold over the microfiber cleaning cloth and use the wet corner of the cloth to sponge out the welt area. Lastly, followed it up with a good brushing. Obenauf's high wax content even leaves them with a bit of a sheen, especially in the sun. They almost look polished! Wish I took a before pic.
I really wish you had taken before pictures, but those look really good considering they were covered with mud. Does HDLP do a good job in protecting against salt damage as well?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really wish you had taken before pictures, but those look really good considering they were covered with mud. Does HDLP do a good job in protecting against salt damage as well? 

Absolutely! It's like a wonder drug for its salt repelling properties.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely! It's like a wonder drug for its salt repelling properties.
I have a jar, however I have been hesitant to use it. However since I'm getting a pair of Vibergs It might just be the right time to experiment on my GTs.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a jar, however I have been hesitant to use it. However since I'm getting a pair of Vibergs It might just be the right time to experiment on my GTs.

It's akin to a good coat of wax on your car. Road grime just doesn't seem to stick to it.

squintzz

Reaction score
So I'm planning to clean and oil my 875s for the first time and i was wondering if its necessary to use the RW leather cleaner? or is a damp cloth and a good brushing fine?
Also is the RW boot oil usable for both beckman 9016 and iron ranger 8111? (planning to buy one of the two boots in the near future and i dont want to buy different oils for each shoe)

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Freshly kopped: Red Wing 2963 in Copper Yuma Leather from the brand new Fall '13 new arrivals.

Hi Bl@ster,

Do you mind sharing how you waterproof your 2963 with the Nubuck like leather?

I am looking to get a pair of 2962 and am curious to know how I can waterproof it while maintaining the original look of the leather.

TIA.

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Bl@ster,

Do you mind sharing how you waterproof your 2963 with the Nubuck like leather?

I am looking to get a pair of 2962 and am curious to know how I can waterproof it while maintaining the original look of the leather.

TIA.

I'm not going to waterproof my pair. In fact, for now I'm not going to do anything to them. In a few months I'll use Obenauf's on them.

I'd use Sno-Seal if you want to waterproof them but I'm not aware of a way to waterproof without changing the color darker. It's just how it is. If you want them to retain their original color, leave them in the closet and never wear them.

xxxamazexxx

Reaction score

This is very helpful. And sorry for being a newbie to shoe care, but what is HDLP?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads