1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Noirkw

Noirkw Well-Known Member

You could take a look at the munson ranger. It's reddish and similar to oxblood color than the ambers.

2. Werder

Werder Active Member

Hi

Anyone here familiar with the Red Wing/Nigel Cabourn Munson boot?

I have used them for six months now and it looks like they are "coloring" my socks due to the leather on the inside. It also smells really bad when i have used them. Is this normal? I have used both dry and wet socks on my feet when wearing them and the problem occurs regulary. Very disappointing for shoes that I've paid 500 euros for!

3. ElBron21

ElBron21 Well-Known Member

The leather insoles stain lighter colored socks, thats normal.
    I dont know what wet socks are though?
    But chances are youre a heavy foot sweater which is a great condition for bad smells
    I suggest buying odor eaters and throwing that shit in their regularly and heavily and the problem should go away quickly
    I doubt it has anything to do with the expensive boots mate

4. ElBron21

I wanted a dressy boot in black, so last week I had my RW store order the black beckmans and the black brogue rangers in my size..
    Went and tried them both on today and I cant decide, they both look awesome
    Def cant afford both so Im in debate mode

5. EPrest90

EPrest90 Well-Known Member

I've been looking for a deal on the brogue ranger for a while now.

What's your size? overstock as the brogue for 25% off, i think sizes 10-13 though

6. ElBron21

Unfortunately Im an 8.
    The guy that usually works at my store always gives me at least 15% off since Ive bought 6 pairs from the heritage line there
    but he wasnt working today, so thats also why i left to mull things over for a day or 2
    I also didnt help the situation by putting an offer in on these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Wing-fo...325-/271800857940?ssPageName=ADME:B:BODO:US:1

7. ElBron21

JCrew also as a sale for 25% the red wings they have too...

8. lodobazz

lodobazz New Member

I own a pair of Red Wing work Chukkas with a white sole (similar to the moc toe boots). I really hate how easily the sides get filthy on the bottom. My question is, is there a way to prevent the dirt from sticking? Something like sno seal just on the white maybe? Has anyone tried staining/painting them?

Thanks. Love the boots otherwise.

9. EPrest90

I actually contacted Red Wing's customer service. They recommended a baking soda water solution and scrub with a tooth brush. My local Red Wing store guy also said tooth whitening toothpaste

10. jmaudi0

jmaudi0 Well-Known Member

mr. clean magic eraser works well for cleaning the wedge soles.

11. lodobazz

lodobazz New Member

I'm thinking more about prevention. I can live with it, but I like darker sides or clean white. I clean them with a toothbrush toooooo often.

12. EPrest90

Something I just noticed- you can now buy boots directly from their website, with free shipping.

They're all full priced of course. I wonder if we're gonna start seeing coupons/promotions

13. ElBron21

I gave my store my email and they send me coupons from time to time. So Im sure there will be something..
    Its usually something small and doesnt affect a boot purchase decision for me, but they do send out a $10 off coupon that my store lets me use to just pick up a bottle of boot oil for free since theyre like $8. But in the past years Ive stopped using their oils and bought, in my opinion, better stuff.
    I do get %10 coupon emails too
    But luckily I get that %15 - %20 anyway, but I live in a small town in Kansas so I dont know what other stores are able to do

14. iPetronius

iPetronius Member

I am a 9.5D on a brannock device, and wear a 9D in the beckman and usually take a 9 in the wolverine. You could go with a 8.5 probably, but I find the 1000 mile boots look a little dainty for some reason, and prefer the 9 to the 8.5. They have a rep for making your feet look kind of tiny...

15. iPetronius

iPetronius Member

Yes, the general consensus, as you have already discovered, is to size down a half on most Red Wings, including the beckman and IR. They are both great boots and you will enjoy them!

16. iPetronius

iPetronius Member

If you want a dressy black boot that won't kill you financially (e.g Alden's), then the Beckman is a fine way to go. The featherstone leather can also take polish, unlike most other offerings by RW. They are very versatile boots that can be dressed up or down. That said, for the same price as a Beckman you could probably score a relatively new or barely used (or factory second) offering by Tricker's of England, on EBAY, which would be substantially nicer, but that's probably adding more complexity than is necessary here. Regardless, good luck with your decision.

17. ElBron21

I've never heard of trickers of England before? I'll check em out.
    The price issue isn't too big of a deal, I own the jcrew Beckmans and an Alden Indy boot
    Its just a tough decision, plus I won the bidding on those red wing jcrew Irish setters on eBay
    They should be in tomorrow! I'm very excited to see what they look like in person.
    I just hope they don't look basically just like my 877s, bc then I've bought essentially a backup pair (albeit for $200)

1 person likes this.
  18. ElBron21

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They look a lot like my 877s but I definitely dig em

1 person likes this.
  19. mr. burns

mr. burns Well-Known Member

current pic of my 3 year old 3140s
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. ElBron21

Those are sweet!
    NOT my style, but lookin good.
    You gonna stick with the same outsole when it's time to get it replaced?
    I've been looking at redwing Amsterdam's Instagram and those folks like to customize their outsoles after the factory ones wear out
    It's got some ideas in my head about a few of my pairs...
    They also like to purposefully not condition their leather too make them look 'cooler' which I hate but whatever.
    Here's a pic of some bloak's iron Rangers with the Beckman outsole that I'm considering doing
    [​IMG]