• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

cathpah

Reaction score
Dam I usually wear an 8.5 in regular sneakers. I bought these online in an 8.5 also because of a lot of people saying it is true to size. They fit, but I would have been better off going down to size 8. And diselman89 I wouldn't get the LL Beans either.

hmm yeah in that case i would size down. i'm regularly a 9.5 but 9 in both my iron rangers and postmans. sucks dude, maybe resell?
While there's no doubt Dasbus could resell them, in reality I don't think a half size too large is that big of a deal. Because they're boots (and the lacing therefore goes up the ankle), as long as you lace/tie them relatively tightly, that should help pull you to the back of the boot. People talk a lot about heel slip, but in my experience, a little bit of break-in can go a long way. I would wager a guess that you could probably form a heel pocket that would prevent heel slip on a boot a full size (or even size and a half) too big.

Obviously, switching for the perfect size is ideal, but if that's not doable...I wouldn't sweat it all that much.

matthewh

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm in need of some feedback. Do you guys think this is too much foot room in my boots, as in are they too big?

I have narrow feet so my boots often have too much room in the heel. If you decide to keep these, there are several things you can do to get a better fit.

1 - When I put on lace-up boots, I always push my heel to the very back of the boot before lacing up. This helps lock my foot in place for lacing and I like to have plenty of room for my toes.
2 - I usually wear thicker merino wool hiking socks. These typically have thicker heel areas. I like Smartwool and LLBean has a few good designs. There are plenty of options that don't look like hiking socks too.
3 - The lacing for the bottom half should be tighter than the top. This helps to hold the foot in place. To help this, you can do a lock heel lacing technique. On the web you can find different ways to do this. One technique I've used is to tie an overhand knot at the top of the eyelets before proceeding to the quick-tie hooks. This helps to keep the lower laces tight even if the upper ones are loose.
4 - Insoles. Any insole that you find comfortable will help take up volume in the boot but if they are too tall the heel won't lock-in well. I've recently use Superfeet insoles for the first time. They seemed to be designed to help keep the heel in place. Superfeet has different options for the amount of volume they take up and the amount of arch support. Their website also states that they have a 60 day full refund period, but I have no experience with how that works. I've used the blue ones. They don't have much padding, but they do work well for keeping my foot in place in boots that I otherwise couldn't wear.

ShakeEmUp

Reaction score
How much do the moc toe boots stretch? I just received my pair in 11D in the mail and there's not a ton of room in the toe box and they're a bit slim at the middle of my foot. Should I return them in a wider width and go up half a size or will they stretch a considerable amount?

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested in picking up 2-3 pairs of Red Wings.

Do they ever go on sale? I'm curious because I want to get some from Ebay if I should jump on them ($50 off) or if they usually get discounted like Frye, etc from the website now that the holiday season is here and everyone is giving big sales I don't know if I should look around or pay near retail.

Thanks,

Sunstealer73

Reaction score
Sign up for the Amazon shoes e-mail list. They send out 20% coupons all the time and 30% occasionally. I just bought some Beckman's with the 30% coupon for $203.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How much do the moc toe boots stretch? I just received my pair in 11D in the mail and there's not a ton of room in the toe box and they're a bit slim at the middle of my foot. Should I return them in a wider width and go up half a size or will they stretch a considerable amount?

I've found that the Moc toe Red Wings run a half size smaller than their round toe stuff. I'd order the next .5 size up.

dasbus

Reaction score
Thanks everyone appreciate your input! I feel a little better now knowing that a few people in here are having the same problem. I'll just end up wearing thicker socks and tighten up the laces a bit. This goes to show you the majority of boots run a little big so everyone don't make the same mistake I did lol. I forgot to mention they were the 3140.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed many people talking about sizing .5 down. Is this accurate?

StillFly

Reaction score
Any pros and cons between 1907 and 875?

From what I can tell the only difference is color. So what would be pros and cons between colors?

Right now I'm leaning toward 875 cause I'm not too sure about the 1907 darkening up more with Obenhauf.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads