1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. taint it sweet

taint it sweet Well-Known Member

What are the ones on the far left?

2. gfloridafan93

gfloridafan93 Well-Known Member

Look like amber harness iron rangers

3. araybanfan

araybanfan Member

8111, i changed the laces to leather thus a variation on the looks.

4. araybanfan

araybanfan Member

May i suggest this trick. I face with the same issues with the leather giving way in the front with my beckman especially. A few cobblers offered me no solution thus i came up with this. Apply bonding glue on a piece of paper, get rid of excess with another piece of paper make sure the glue is "flat". Slide the paper into the grooves and openings you have to do this fairly quickly as the glue may dry out. Clamp from the edges of the soles with paper clip with a few pieces of paper on applied areas. Let them bond for at least 15 minutes. You have to isolate portions of the boots to repeat this task. With glue stains becareful not touch the boot leather portion. Edge stains around the sole can be sand away with sandpaper. 800grade is perfect. Some obenauf LP on the edges after the job done does wonders. That is how i keep my beckman in shape.

With nails protruding internally, add an insole. I prefer flat with thin sponge inlay for all my redwings.

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  5. ChrisRocknRoll

ChrisRocknRoll Member

Thanks for the idea, they swapped out a new pair for me, so if it happens again, I'll have to give that a try. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. taint it sweet

I like the 8111 look, but I need a sole that can keep me from slipping in the ice/snow.

7. araybanfan

araybanfan Member

It never was built to counter ice surfaces. Cork sole has some oil resistance if i recall correctly. I would rate beckman having a more substantial traction on wet day out from the lot. Iron rangers are indeed beautiful and the easiest to wear thanks to the speed hooks. Comfort wise it really requires some patience. I wore iron ranger for a travelling trip for a week with no other shoes to hong kong. Worst decision ever made lol...

8. taint it sweet

Yeah, I think the Vibram soles would be good for traction (Brooks Brothers version), but I don't really like that chunky of a sole on the boot.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  9. araybanfan

araybanfan Member

I am not sure if you have any red wings on hand. I personally feel the 875 variant with the white crepe soles are iconic to the brand, it works well for average uses and takes a good beating whenever the situation calls for. I may start with those as an entry to the brand. I would avoid the brooks brother version too. Beckman's built is on the chunky side all around. The default soles do compliment the look imho. After breaking in, the comfort level is surprisingly high. I call my iron rangers vanity boots. I love them despite the pain involved. lol

10. pvoytko

pvoytko Well-Known Member

11. araybanfan

araybanfan Member

How did you find breaking in the new pair? I remember beckman was way stiff at first. The problems with split soles did surface with a few before. I hope this one will serve you better.

12. gfloridafan93

gfloridafan93 Well-Known Member

What's everyone's opinion on the crepe soles quality wise?

13. ChrisRocknRoll

ChrisRocknRoll Member

I haven't even worn them yet lol I'm waiting until my days off to wear them in the house. Last pair broke in easily. I was able to wear them with little discomfort after a couple days.

14. auto-bite

auto-bite Well-Known Member

DANG 75% off?!!

15. presidente

presidente Well-Known Member

Truly a tragedy we all cant be enlightened with 75% off.

16. presidente

Iron rangers workers beware: it might be that I'm using the hiker'a loop for anti-heel-slippage, but these new boots' laces are starting to fray, (although I do actually use my boots for work on top of fashion)

I'll need to pick up a few spares, and since I got this pair right before winter, I'm not really surprised.

17. EPrest90

EPrest90 Well-Known Member

Call the number on Red Wing Heritage's website and they'll send you a free pair, or your local Red Wing store.

If you're worried about future pairs fraying, just ask for leather laces instead.

1 person likes this.
  18. presidente

Appreciate it, definitely going to opt for the leather laces.

Also, here's a pic for the evening with my Copper heritage rangers. Potato quality, but lovely to work in the rain with some thick socks.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. EPrest90

EPrest90 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm pretty much in love with raw hide leather laces at the moment, and I think the Red Wings leather laces are pretty great that I bought a couple(5 bucks a pair at my local Red Wing store) and cut them for various other shoes(boat shoes, chukkas, desert boots, etc). Treated them with mink oil and they look and work awesome.

20. cathpah

cathpah Well-Known Member

My favorite rawhide laces out there are sold by White's and Nick's (same laces, I believe). Fantastically strong and great contrast.