• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation for carry-on luggage

brandall10

Reaction score
Yummi in my Tummi (sorry I had to) I think cglex makes a pretty cogent point about the roller B&Rs though, and it seems this is a common complaint. On the one hand, they allow a true flat-pack experience. OTOH, they give up precious interior room. Solution? Don't buy a roller
smile.gif
The main advantage of B&R over Tumi/Hartmann? Warranty. And of course price...

mike.lawrence

Reaction score
Cglex, having the bars inside may give you a few more centimeters of packing space for small items. However, I would much rather pack less in my suitcase than go through the trouble of steaming or ironing my wrinkled clothes when I have a meeting to rush to. So, I would definitely choose wrinkle-free packing over a little extra space. Plus, I am beginning to believe that Briggs and Riley offer the best warranty on luggage right now. Where Tumi offers 5 year warranty on their bags and covers airline damage only in the first year, BR's "Simple as that" warranty covers all kinds of damage for the life of the bag. This to me translates to peace of mind!

cglex

Reaction score
When I travel for a full week, I am already forced to pack less, the question is how much less.

I haven't had a problem with wrinkles with a properly packed bagged with the frame on the inside. The B&R approach is easier, however. Warranty doesn't matter when the suitcase breaks on the road. To the extent that Hartmann and Tumi sill have bolts instead of rivots, they are field repairable.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cglex
When I travel for a full week, I am already forced to pack less, the question is how much less. I haven't had a problem with wrinkles with a properly packed bagged with the frame on the inside. The B&R approach is easier, however. Warranty doesn't matter when the suitcase breaks on the road. To the extent that Hartmann and Tumi sill have bolts instead of rivots, they are field repairable.
duck_tape.jpg

mike.lawrence

Reaction score
I have finally placed an order for the 20" Verb Fuse on the Briggs and Riley website. It should be delivered to me sometime next week. I am really excited about the bag and can't wait to use it for my next trip. I'll post my experience once I return from my first trip with the bag!

Montrachet

Reaction score
What country is Briggs & Riley manufactured in?

mike.lawrence

Reaction score
Originally Posted by saimike
I would suggest you check out the travel products forum on flyertalk.com ...

Saimike, I have been following Flyertalk as well and the threads over there and Styleforum helped me finally decide on Briggs and Riley Verb Fuse. I think both these forums are great avenues to do some serious research on luggage!

exchange239

Reaction score
I swear by my Tumi (now called Vapor) hard shell roller. Durable, easy to roll, plenty of space for a carry on, and not too docile. Had it for about 3 years now, travel about twice a month and it's still kicking.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
I was surfing the Hartmann website and saw that they have their20" black polycarbonate roller on sale for $50 (down from $225). It's a "packing case" and not a suitcase per se, so you will not get as much capacity as a typical roller but it looks like it might fit somebody's requirements for a small carry-on roller.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics