1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Recommendation for carry-on luggage

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mike.lawrence, Jan 20, 2010.

1. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Well-Known Member

it would be more credible if after 30 years of knowing the brand Tumi, you could spell it

2. brandall10

brandall10 Well-Known Member

Yummi in my Tummi (sorry I had to) I think cglex makes a pretty cogent point about the roller B&Rs though, and it seems this is a common complaint. On the one hand, they allow a true flat-pack experience. OTOH, they give up precious interior room. Solution? Don't buy a roller [​IMG] The main advantage of B&R over Tumi/Hartmann? Warranty. And of course price...

3. mike.lawrence

mike.lawrence Member

Cglex, having the bars inside may give you a few more centimeters of packing space for small items. However, I would much rather pack less in my suitcase than go through the trouble of steaming or ironing my wrinkled clothes when I have a meeting to rush to. So, I would definitely choose wrinkle-free packing over a little extra space. Plus, I am beginning to believe that Briggs and Riley offer the best warranty on luggage right now. Where Tumi offers 5 year warranty on their bags and covers airline damage only in the first year, BR's "Simple as that" warranty covers all kinds of damage for the life of the bag. This to me translates to peace of mind!

4. cglex

cglex Well-Known Member

When I travel for a full week, I am already forced to pack less, the question is how much less.

I haven't had a problem with wrinkles with a properly packed bagged with the frame on the inside. The B&R approach is easier, however. Warranty doesn't matter when the suitcase breaks on the road. To the extent that Hartmann and Tumi sill have bolts instead of rivots, they are field repairable.

5. jobro

jobro Well-Known Member

When I travel for a full week, I am already forced to pack less, the question is how much less. I haven't had a problem with wrinkles with a properly packed bagged with the frame on the inside. The B&R approach is easier, however. Warranty doesn't matter when the suitcase breaks on the road. To the extent that Hartmann and Tumi sill have bolts instead of rivots, they are field repairable.
    [​IMG]

6. mike.lawrence

mike.lawrence Member

I have finally placed an order for the 20" Verb Fuse on the Briggs and Riley website. It should be delivered to me sometime next week. I am really excited about the bag and can't wait to use it for my next trip. I'll post my experience once I return from my first trip with the bag!

7. saimike

saimike Active Member

I would suggest you check out the travel products forum on flyertalk.com ...

8. Montrachet

Montrachet Well-Known Member

What country is Briggs & Riley manufactured in?

9. mike.lawrence

mike.lawrence Member

I would suggest you check out the travel products forum on flyertalk.com ...

Saimike, I have been following Flyertalk as well and the threads over there and Styleforum helped me finally decide on Briggs and Riley Verb Fuse. I think both these forums are great avenues to do some serious research on luggage!

10. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

bown overnight cabin bag - nerd alert details here

[​IMG]

gorgeous.

i use a bric's carry on.

11. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

^^^Looks nice.

12. scottcw

scottcw Well-Known Member

13. exchange239

exchange239 Well-Known Member

I swear by my Tumi (now called Vapor) hard shell roller. Durable, easy to roll, plenty of space for a carry on, and not too docile. Had it for about 3 years now, travel about twice a month and it's still kicking.

14. Monaco

Monaco Well-Known Member

What is your budget?

15. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Well-Known Member

I was surfing the Hartmann website and saw that they have their20" black polycarbonate roller on sale for $50 (down from $225). It's a "packing case" and not a suitcase per se, so you will not get as much capacity as a typical roller but it looks like it might fit somebody's requirements for a small carry-on roller.

16. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

What country is Briggs & Riley manufactured in?

China. but they have lifetime warranty, which makes it a good value.

17. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

I have a made in the US ballistic nylon Tumi 21" carry-on from about 10 years ago. Literally indestructable (I've dragged it by the handle up/down steps, thru city streets with rain/mud).

It's now my wife's favorite piece of luggage.

I'm currently using a Filson carryon with lifetime warranty.

18. sportin_life

sportin_life Well-Known Member

I prefer a 21-22" suitcase with a fold out garment bag. Personally, I prefer the Victorinox series of luggage (kind of pricey, but built very sturdy).

The last several trips I took I had to randomly check my carry-on at the gate. I'm not sure how often this is happening but basically since airlines charge for check-in luggage, everyone has migrated to carry-ons --- what ends up happening is there isn't enough space on top for everyone and they end up checking your luggage at the gate anyway (although at no cost). For this reason, I would be hesitant to use anything nice and that is not indestructible.

19. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Well-Known Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just got the Tom Bihn Aeronaut today after searching SF for "hand luggage" and seeing your post. I was looking for alternatives to trolleys. Fantastic piece of luggage - quality, workmanship... never want anything else any more.

20. MellonC

MellonC Well-Known Member

do tell. what do you like about it so much?