• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ray-Ban: Trite or Classic?

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All metal frames are a bit "off." Also, all metal frame sunglasses will eventually be sat upon, just like all sunglasses with plastic lenses will get scratched.

This doesn't matter of course since all sunglasses are made by Luxottica. They all come from the same place.

And even Randolph now brands their sunglasses, though you can scrape it off with an exacto. Of course you will end up sitting on them shortly after you realize this.

Giving up on sunglasses prompted me to give up on contacts. Prescription glasses with quality frames (prodesign, japanese brands, Persol, etc) and transitions lenses are essentially loss-proof sunglasses.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am seriously considering copping these Bausch and Lomb 62014 Aviators from a local pawn shop. They are in excellent condition w/case needing only some minor cleaning and adjustment. The current 'deal' price is $70. I just can't pull the trigger.

I think they may be a little big for your face, Dig. Also, in my opinion, the gold-tone frames aren't as good a color choice for you as would be black plastic or silver metal.

apz06

Reaction score
I wear wayfarers every day IMO they never go in or out & are a stand by. .I also dig oliver peoples

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For those who like Ray Bans but don't like the lens logo, there was a long thread posted on here some time ago where several people had had success in removing the logo with a copper penny without damaging the glass lens. it won't help with the plastic tag on the hinge of Wayfarers but will work on aviators, clubmasters, etc.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those who like Ray Bans but don't like the lens logo, there was a long thread posted on here some time ago where several people had had success in removing the logo with a copper penny without damaging the glass lens. it won't help with the plastic tag on the hinge of Wayfarers but will work on aviators, clubmasters, etc.

Yeah I saw those threads, I already have two pairs of Barton Perreiras though and there isn't really any comparison when you hold them next to Ray-Bans.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Ray Ban wayfarers that I've been wearing almost daily for about 5 years and have no complaints. I also have a pair of clubmasters that I wear once in a while. IMO, they are both classics (along with the aviators but I just never really cared for them). If the design has stuck around for as long as it has with so few changes, they must have done something right.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are classic (depending on the style). Do you like them? Then buy them. I used to wear Ray-ban, now I wear Persol. It's all personal taste. There is no "SF approved" style despite the crap you will read here. We are all on our own individual sartorial journeys. Granted, it will take some of us (perhaps me included) far more than 10 years to get to Ithaca.

Last edited:

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Persol 649's and 714's are as classic as the Wayfarers, Aviators, and Clubmasters in my book.

Outside of Steve McQueen, I have never seen anyone look good in a pair of Persol 649's or 714's. I'm certain they are a quality product, but they don't seem to fit many people's faces well.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outside of Steve McQueen, I have never seen anyone look good in a pair of Persol 649's or 714's. I'm certain they are a quality product, but they don't seem to fit many people's faces well.

Agreed. I love them, but they don't fit my face at all, and IRL, I've never seen them fit anyone else's either.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I gave a pair of 649s to my GF and they suit her fine but she does have a broad face.

Before gifting them I tried them on and compared them to my Wayfarers. If anyone is arsed they can do a search for 'Great Shade Debate' for pics. (sorry don't know how to do links!) The feedback for me was unanimous in favour of the RayBans but I have a narrow face.

I did get a pair of Hardings by Garret Leight from the Mortar SF affiliate which are close to 649s in shape but IMO look a lot better (slightly smaller frames). They are available in black, dark TS and honey blonde TS. They don't have the extra hinge thingy that Persols do, but are great quality. One of these days I'll get round to doing pics in case anyone is interested.

I also have several aviators, I like my RayBans but reach for my recently acquired Randolph's Concorde more often these days. I got the small 52mm frames and love them.

Heirandloom

Reaction score
As long as you make them your own, no problem wearing one of the most ubiquitous brands out there.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads