• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random food thoughts - Street edition

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nopalitos over green chili pulled pork and quinoa is delicious.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oatmeal at the Ace Hotel in NYC is actually really good. I'm not usually an oatmeal guy, but that, that I will eat.

For breakfast, it's usually a banana and a piece of toast with chocolate almond or hazelnut butter. However, I'll occasionally make pancakes, and every Sunday, it's French toast day at my place. I make it with a really egg heavy custard that also has a sugar, lemon zest and a hint of vanilla. Made with day old, but good, brioche - slow fried on the griddle with butter. You can't beat butter. Served with marscapone and jam. The kids like it with Maple syrup, but I think that that is too sweet, for the most part. I'll sometimes do an omelette for my wife. Just fresh eggs, a tiny bit of cream for fluffiness, and cooked slow. Fillings include dungeness crab with just a bit of fresh greens and a tiny bit of marscapone, or smoked salmon (not the lox style), with a bit of marscapone, and a tiny bit of green onion.

BTW, that Taiwanese breakfast looks just like a Hong Kong breakfast, but smaller portions and presented more neatly. Me, I like a good coconut bun with Hong Kong Style tea (essentially, brewed very hot, and with evaporated milk) when I am in Vancouver or Toronto.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
does anyone have some really good peanut butter recommendations? I find most peanut butter brands too sweet, and most of the organic brands too dry. the best I've found so far is peanut butter & co, but it's expensive and not particularly great.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Choosy moms choose jif

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Justin's almond chocolate butter is like crack.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^yeah that. i was going to say there's a machine at the safeway in boulder were you feed raw peanuts into the peanut butter maker thing. but everyone always slips chocolate chips in too. duh.

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I'm allergic to tree nuts unfortunately. no almond butter for me.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin's also makes chocolate peanut butter and chocolate hazelnut butter. The latter is by far my favorite. A good middle or workout snack too, if you are doing a lot of volume/cardio and find your energy level seriously flagging.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
it is really an ad lol

(i hope you know i was just trolling with that post)

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

BTW, that Taiwanese breakfast looks just like a Hong Kong breakfast, but smaller portions and presented more neatly. Me, I like a good coconut bun with Hong Kong Style tea (essentially, brewed very hot, and with evaporated milk) when I am in Vancouver or Toronto.

Never seen the Taiwanese "rice blob" (sticky rice wrapped around a chinese donut, dehydrated shredded pork, picked vegetables) or the egg/onion pancake in Hong Kong. The savory soy milk stuff I have though. Some other staples aren't pictured, but that was the best Google image I could find on short notice.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought of the egg onion pancake as a Shanghainese thing, or a Cantonese bastardization of it. In Cantonese cooking, it's usually a wide rice noodle wrapped around the "donut". The pickled vegetables and dried pork are definitely not Cantonese though.

My favorite lunch food, though, is "Hong Kong Style Western Food", like egg white and shrimp rice, baked seafood rice, and baked porkchop rice. You really can't beat that, and then a nap afterwards. Wait. I like Dim Sum just as much. Okay, it's a coin toss then.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we're on the subject of Taiwanese food...

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
thanks for the tip fellas going to scoop up some chocohazelnut from sprouts

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads