• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bartended for a couple of years and landed a bunch of freelance jobs through regulars at the bar. College town, low living expenses, slept in all the time, etc... could have been worse*

*This experience is not generalizeable due to sample size

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score

i know people who loved their time as a bartender and made very decent money. kind of a dead end, it seems, though. and won't help you for future employment opportunities.

unless you're planning on being a professional cyclist i'd say you're wasting most of your life and money by this metric

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did my post have to do with cycling at all? Trust me, being a pro cyclist is not even remotely a possibility. I was just making the point that it may be a better use of time to get an internship or something related to the field he wants to go into.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, I think it's a better use of time to take some time off and figure out what you want to do, all while learning something new that you've been interested in. When you graduate, how many years of your life have you spent in the black hole of education?

You have the most freedom ever in your life the moment right after graduation. Most people know what it's like to be young and won't look down on a few years of "whatever" directly after college. They've been there too.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
move to korea. teach english. get yellow fever (the good kind). kop toj from your backyard.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

That Buzz Bissinger article is horrifying. I don't think I'll buy clothing ever again

The Divine Stylist, born in Iran and given her wonderfully fiery temperament, would do a sushi on them if they gave any remote indication of encroachment.

Its always excess...either uranium or gaudy luxury goods overdone :fu:

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually the reality is from talking to my bosses/mentors etc. people really do look down on applicants with large time gaps on the resume. if you want some corporate job it will hold you back when trying to break in to just **** around for a while. and it's easy to say "**** that" for now but like, idk i always had the perspective that one should think before one closes doors because it's never bad to have options.

i'm not sure this applies for like, volunteering or nonprofit work or like working in an urban garden or teaching english abroad.

Last edited:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i'm not sure this applies for like, volunteering or nonprofit work or like working in an urban garden or teaching english abroad.

Add "curating a blog" to that list.

TWorksheets

Reaction score
personal growth

professional experience

choose one

this only applies to traditional fields of work

Last edited:

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score

What did my post have to do with cycling at all? Trust me, being a pro cyclist is not even remotely a possibility. I was just making the point that it may be a better use of time to get an internship or something related to the field he wants to go into.

It means you can do things you enjoy and don't always have to worry about "career dead ends."

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the worry brings this and so much more.

Last edited:

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey styleforum, give me more ideas on how to wear my blackwatch blazer. I love it but can't wear it without feeling very #menswear

It means you can do things you enjoy and don't always have to worry about "career dead ends."

You don't have to always think about the future, but it is worth considering. Especially with the **** job market right now. It's hard enough to get a job when you do everything "right" nevermind when you take a break to "find yourself"

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^just embrace the #menswear aesthetic. it's easy to dable and is an aesthetic that gets more hate than it deserves because of tumblr bloggers jumping on hype-trains but frankly it can look pretty cool with little buy-in.

idk I and a lot of my friends have beenworking meh entry-level corporate jobs and we still manage to lead enjoyable lifestyles. there's nothing that i'm like "oh **** i wish i didn't have my job so i can do X and engage in some 'personal growth' experience." Maybe that's because college for me was like 4 years of summer camp and I got burnt out from it.

just keep it compartmentalized and lead a rich life outside of work. maybe it's because I happen to enjoy activities that slot in nicely with a "yuppie" lifestyle (games, the gym, cooking, etc). and because I have enough days off to go on week-long trips abroad but having money to do the **** i want is really, really nice

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's stop HERE.

Hey styleforum, give me more ideas on how to wear my blackwatch blazer. I love it but can't wear it without feeling very #menswear

Tapered wool cargo trousers (hope you got those from uniqlo), black wings horns service boots, frayed nonnative flannel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads