1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the Paone thread? :confused:

2. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

:rimshot:

1 person likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Well-Known Member

Something that would look decent with trousers as well as jeans. I've been looking at a pair of meermin chelseas in snuff suede.

4. msg

msg Well-Known Member

There's a quote attributed to Max Planck, paraphrasing: You'll never change what someone believes, you just have to wait for the current generation to die out and hope the next generation will grow up without the same biases.

5. Rais

Rais Well-Known Member

I used to think this but now I know from first hand experience that it is false.. I've seen people change from exposure to new ideas in their environment, formal education, mature conversations between adults (that don't break down into affective conflict), and even after particularly intense experiences. It might not be instantaneous but change can manifest over time. I don't think I am the only one who has observed this happening (not just in other people either, but in ourselves).

5 people like this.
  6. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Well-Known Member

try The Thousand Autumns Of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell. It's set in a Dutch trading post in Japan in the late 18th century, I found it fascinating.

7. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

I really didn't like the movie as much as the book. A lot of the most incredible scenes were cut out.

8. hideous replica

hideous replica Member

Lurker who knows next to nothing about clothes... but with an interest in film [​IMG]

Besides the great suggestions already made (Hana bi will break your heart):

Sans Soleil -- Not all Japanese, but amazing look at 80s Japan
    House of Bamboo -- weird, gonzo movie about American GIs in postwar Japan by B Movie auteur Sam Fuller
    Tokyo Sonata -- Japanese take on the economic crisis from horror gawd Kiyoshi Kurosawa (Bright Future also worth a look)
    Films of Hirokazu Koreada--really beautiful, simple films about everyday life...newest one Like Father, Like Son is pretty great
    Linda Linda Linda -- fun movie about girl bands and high school
    Ozu -- but some find him boring

5 people like this.
  9. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Why does everything have riri zips now?
    I get they are "better" but I've had clothes that had some pretty horrible riris (always sticking and popping out of the teeth) and some perfectly fine YKK's.
    It's like riri is just an odd status symbol.

10. futuresailors

futuresailors Well-Known Member

They are. They've been hyped (couldn't tell you how that started), so they've become a selling point to the point that even complex picked up on it.

11. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

Tokyo Joe - not Bogie's best but worth a watch.

12. nomad

nomad Well-Known Member

Riri and yak both make large range of zippers. Had problems with both kinds ha ha.

Yasuzo Masamura's film adaption is up on youtube.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  13. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

I can't figure out if CDGH+ uses Japanese or Amurrican sizing. Seems to vary widely by piece (and I'm aware some pieces are meant to fit oversized!). Do you all just go by the measurements and hope they're accurate?

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Toj Thread.

15. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Care to elaborate?
    After hearing all about TOJ clustercuss in this thread there's no way I'm going over there to see what you're talking about. Besides, I have zero interest in TOJ.
    It just seems like Riri have exploded in the last 2 years and if they aren't Riri then your product must suck.

16. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

The topic of zippers has been heavily debated there. There are tons of high end zippers. That's all you need to know. For the layman, people latch onto RiRi because it's convenient and easy rather than the grade of YKK or other brands like Lampo or MRS or whatever. It's like looking at how tight the lockup is on a 1911 rather than truly checking out the fit, finish and handwork.

They've all been around for quite some time. RiRi just happens to be the new "made in Italy" BS.

17. habitant

habitant Well-Known Member

That's what got me going on this, great book. Also being Dutch and having a grandfather who was a good history teacher on the subject helps a lot.

Thanks for joining to make this contribution. Good advice about hani bi, I really liked Takeshi Kitano in 'Brother'

18. ghostface

ghostface Well-Known Member

are you looking at outerwear, in particular? i'd say that measurements are always your best bet, as long as you trust the seller's aptitude with a tape. i'm a size 50, and cdg large usually fits me well, but i can also pull off some medium (though the chest is usually bordering on tight). i also have one piece in ss (extra small) that fits me pretty well....so, you know.

i think it helps that almost all cdg pieces can look good either sized loosely or sized slimmer, if you aren't wedded to the idea of the piece fitting a very particular way before you have it in your hands.

1 person likes this.
  19. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

definitely this. sizing can vary a lot, especially depending on how old the piece is. A medium from 1995 has a very different fit than a medium from this year. in my experience older pieces tend to run quite a bit larger.

20. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.