1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

Hey @LA_Guy

In the AMA people said Styleforum is too anti noob (to that effect)

Why don't we have an adopt a noob program?

Long termers can sign up in a thread and noobs can pick one they like to P.M and have a convo with without embarrassing themselves in the fighting pits that is random fashion thoughts?

I'd be super down to help, already have a few times

We could make it an ambassador program or something? Styleforum Big Brothers?

Would make a difference to the friendliness and community spirit towards new people around here, which is always a positive?

3 people like this.
  2. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

Yeah but what happens when Synthese starts dating Kenny Bania?

3. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

Then just send him pictures of your cock n ballz and be done with it

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

That's probably not a bad idea. There would have to a mechanism so that one guy doesn't get overwhelmed. Like, it can't be more than a threesome at a time, and the oldtimer would PM me to get himself off the list. We already send out an automated PM to new users. But one that is more specific, and actually says who is available, might be a good idea.

1 person likes this.
  5. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

^^ Hahah <3

I think it would have to be worked out abit, but I just thought of it after that AMA. This community has been super awesome to me and I would love to give more back, helping people out who have no clue and want some swagger is a good way to do that, it should make SF a friendlier place too.

Should we take this to P.M? :embar::embar::embar:

1 person likes this.
  6. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

if any of the noobs just want help dressing like ryan gosling, they know where to find me

29 people like this.
  7. Benesyed

Benesyed Well-Known Member

After trying a variety of natural deodorants from toms to waleda, ive decided im a basic bitch. I lvoe arm and hammer essentials. I guess the part of me that likes really synthetic strong scents will never die :(

8. washedout

washedout Well-Known Member

Only thing I care about is which ones will not stain my clothing. Trying to find a place that sells Nivea invisible

9. Benesyed

This one claims it doesnt stain. Ill let you know how it fares over more extended use. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I don't think this place is anti-noob, just don't be annoying or defensive or act noobish and you'll be fine. I'd be happy to provide constructive criticism as long as they're willing to learn and don't just post pics like jamiester without utilizing the resources of the entire subforum. Just read the forum for awhile before posting pics kind of like studying for a test. You don't go into the test without knowing the material.

14 people like this.
  11. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

How many people come in and buy generic looking button plain jane ups for like 100 dollars each when they could just buy uniqlo and spend bank on nicer shit like sneaks / outerwear / boots?

I think if people don't have retail stores near them, they sort of get sucked into to thread specific group think and start paying through the nose when they would be better off buying other stuff but they can't handle it first so they go with the easy herd kops .

Holla at me Fok, would love to set up something like this, my lasting legacy can be The Official SF Bigger Brother Thread and the EBay Someone Should Kop Thread

1 person likes this.
  12. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

"adopt a newb program"

jfc as if full grown men need someone to hold their hand as they buy gitman shirts and apc denim.

10 people like this.
  13. Benesyed

How about semi grown manlets :p

2 people like this.
  14. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

I think you guys are being to hard on Noob, he can dress himself without any hand holding.

7 people like this.
  15. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

This discussion is pointless because the only people that are posting are people who the current system worked for. Without the input of people who have simply wandered off because the information that would help a n00b is often drowned out by a lot of other types of discussion, we're only going to her a variation of Mikey's sentiments (which is kind of a shitty attitude, considering some of us remember clueless-mikey)

1 person likes this.
  16. MS007

MS007 Well-Known Member

'adopt an idiot' program would be more helpful. At least the threads I browse are rarely derailed by newcomers.

1 person likes this.
  17. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

I dunno. I feel like r/mfa fills that niche way better than we could here. You'd never find discussion like the Lemaire/Damir or the min/max wardrobe discussion on Reddit just because of its set-up. A sub as large as r/mfa becomes way diluted in content, which is generally the problem with reddit's discussion style anyways, and that's why it's more newby friendly. They have FAQs and guides on the sidebar, and if someone posts a question all you have to do is upvote the best answer, versus on here if you post a thread you have to have multiple people respond to it and then read all of the responses (thumbs are not a good indicator of.... anything). We're past the age where a forum style like this is preferred by most people, honestly.

I don't think Styleforum is noob unfriendly in terms of attitude, our core group of members aren't assholes and are generally pretty helpful. The only unfriendly part about Styleforum is its sheer amount of content and detail, something that takes time and effort to go through. And if a person is really interested in taking the time to look through all that interests them, I think ultimately that's the type of member we like here. I've helped many, many people in PM and am always happy to do so, likewise I think many members are as well.

10 people like this.
  18. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

I definitely would appreciate a program like that or even just a more active "ask a simple question" thread. If I had learned some things a few months earlier it would've saved me a bunch of money, time, energy, etc. I don't go to mfa because someone had told me they have very... middlebrow collective tastes, for example recommending red wings and CDBs for every boot, etc. Nothing wrong with that in itself but I'd like to have more options or a wider range of tastes when I'm still impressionable. And it's true that an overwhelming number of questions can be answered by simply searching through the designer or affiliate threads, but sometimes that takes quite a bit of work. I have gotten most of my questions answered though.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  19. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

How did you waste money?

Clothing isn't something that we can have hard and fast rules for. Literally every single person here who has developed their style has dropped mucho bucks on that phase. I honestly do not think any amount of direction and help will solve that, unless you're going for stuff like GQ look, MFA uniform, etc

20. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

I haven't been here all that long but I've had a pretty healthy fashion/clothing interest for a while. I think the only "unfriendly" part here are the trolls and the inside jokes that newcomers don't get.
    If you are completely new to clothes/fashion then I think you just need to stand back for a whole and read some threads first instead of just going straight in and asking basic questions and starting a bunch of brand new threads... Basic forum stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.