• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PinkPantser
how many more of these 'taste' blogs can there possibly ******* be.

+1

Instead of contributing anything to our culture, I'm just going to browse apartment websites and move jpegs around. Wooo I'm an "internet tastemaker", that's gonna go on my lookbook profile.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
+1

Instead of contributing anything to our culture, I'm just going to browse apartment websites and move jpegs around. Wooo I'm an "internet tastemaker", that's gonna go on my lookbook profile.

+ ******* 1. I try and keep my tumblr at least 80% original content, and at least add some context to anything I reblog.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

I dunno I have one of these that no one knows about just to save things I like for myself..

Wu Dynasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I've seen N.Hoolywood stuff in China. Whether or not it's fake, I don't know.
I have an "N.Hoolywood" assymetrical tee that I'm 100% sure is fake. I got it from yesstyle for like 12 bucks and on the site it's marketed as one of those cheap generic korean labels. When I received the shirt and saw the N.Hoolywood label I was quite surprised.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
+1

+ ******* 1. I try and keep my tumblr at least 80% original content, and at least add some context to anything I reblog.

'Only pics' tumblr need variety that's all, boat shoes/interiors/bike pics, that stuff gets tired FAST. No context can get frustrating too.
I don't buy the "internet tastemaker" thing though, a lot of people just use it to collect stuff they like or are interested in, I know I do. That's not to say there's no circle jerking.

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If someone has the same taste in pretty pictures that I do I might like to look at their collection of pretty pictures but I don't follow any blogs like that so I guess it's not sayin much.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the women pics are obviously there to give the blogger and follower good conscience, can't spend your days lusting over shoes, bearded fishermen and jfk's crewneck (you know, the one where he's on his boat, the most reblogged pic along with McQueen on his bike and Brando wearing a white tee).

What's the difference between a blog and a tumblr ?

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sipang
Well, the women pics are obviously there to give the blogger and follower good conscience, can't spend your days lusting over shoes, bearded fishermen and jfk's crewneck (you know, the one where he's on his boat, the most reblogged pic along with McQueen on his bike and Brando wearing a white tee). What's the difference between a blog and a tumblr ?
tumblr is a blogging service that promotes micro-blogging (e.g. single pics, small snippets of texts, links, videos, etc). though you already know this since you have one. people just say "tumblr" to refer to their blog on tumblr (which is actually called a tumblog but nobody uses this word because it's dumb) I think it's just an awesome blogging engine and I'm happy to be hosting my blog on it.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I maintain one, though I only update it sporadically. It's more a personal archive of stuff I like rather than my stab at jumping into the already full pool of product-heavy blogs. More or less, it's a method to organize products, images, etc. that would otherwise get haphazardly tossed onto my external hard drive under the guise of me actually doing something constructive with them at a later point.

The ease with which the Tumblr format allows users to post single images without a shred of context can get frustrating, though. It quietly promotes saturation and, in a way, laziness.

I don't mind picture-heavy Tumblr blogs if the images are accompanied by text from the user that can shed a new or interesting perspective on it. At least, I think that's how it should go if you promote your Tumblr as anything other than a personal collection of pictures.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use mine to save stuff I like, share or reblog whatever I find that I think is cool/neat/interesting/dope/entertaining/etc etc. and follow other Tumblrs who have similar interests. The dashboard makes all of this very easy, much like an RSS reader. Also, the separate buttons for posting different types of media/posts is great along with Tumblr being able to host ALL your images/audio/videos without hitting a limit is ******* awesome. Frees you up from having to host your own **** and worrying about bandwidth maxing out. The re-blogging button is genius too except sometimes dickheads can delete whatever accompanying text the original post came with.

Some people may want more but that's why you go to other blogging platforms like Wordpress, Typepad, Blogger and other sites if you want to be taken more "srsly." This is not to say that you can't have a serious blog on Tumblr because you can, but that's not what most of it's users signed up for. They wanted something simple, easy, not something they feel like they're obligated to.

And as far as these inspiration/mood board blogs go, I think they can be better. A few of them are starting to link back with click-through picture links to the original source so you can find out more if it interests you. But yes, a lot of them are pretty picture pretty picture pretty picture. Which is why I barely browse through those.

My only gripe as far as the whole Tumblr community goes is I wished more people would link back to the OG, add a description or even tags so that I could find out more about what they just posted if it isn't original content. Because when something gets constantly recycled/re-blogged without anything accompanying it, and you can't pinpoint where it came from, it just loses all it's meaning.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, I really have too much navy/blue and grey in my wardrobe. Most of my outerwear is navy, most of my lightweight jackets are navy, got 5 navy knits and 3 grey ones, have about 4 blue button ups. Help pleasE???

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willy cheesesteak
Because when something gets constantly recycled/re-blogged without anything accompanying it, and you can't pinpoint where it came from, it just loses all it's meaning.

This is the heart of what irritates me. If I had to use one word to describe the imagery of these taste blogs it would be 'precious'. But the act of filling the screen with preciousness and then not allowing the viewer to go deeper (with say a link to the source) essentially ruins the aesthetic. It's no longer precious. I liked these img blogs a lot when they first came along but now I find myself drawn to the more visually grotesque ones, partly in response.

Originally Posted by + theom
Damn, I really have too much navy/blue and grey in my wardrobe. Most of my outerwear is navy, most of my lightweight jackets are navy, got 5 navy knits and 3 grey ones, have about 4 blue button ups. Help pleasE???

heard that. I'm going into purples, reds & greens myself after getting tired of wearing blue/grey all the time for years. Real-world people do seem to respond better to blue/grey though, at least so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads