• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Bakes,

thanks for improving my nomenclature. It had a rubber dove-tail, and tempest was the damn word I could not remember. I like the leather sole, rubber dove-tail look, but I find that i slip-slide all over the place. for my own safety, tempest is better for me.

I agree, Rancourt's value prop is having it your way. That's part of the reason why i read this thread, I like to see pictures of what people have come up with.

here is the other picture I took at Jack Spade in Soho. honey leather chukkas and a navy venetian loafer.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my resoled ranger-mocs back, with the natural Aspen LH soles. Definitely a great choice. Comfortable and much more support than the camp moc soles, a bit thicker as well. I can definitely feel the cushion in there. The camp moc sole wasn't uncomfortable, but you could definitely feel the ground under your foot. This is a nice compromise between the overly obvious Vibram Christie sole, and the fake rubber heel of the RLH sole. It's very interesting putting these on, after having worn my boat shoes for the past couple of weeks.

Also, there was no upcharge for upgrading the sole, which was a nice touch. $60 with shipping, round trip. It's a no-brainer, then, if you're getting your shoe resoled. No way I'd get it redone with a camp-moc or boat sole, if I can get this sole instead.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am having the toughest time trying to reach Katie for a customer order. It is literally taken like 3 weeks and still cannot seem to complete it. I am about to give up and give my money elsewhere

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am having the toughest time trying to reach Katie for a customer order. It is literally taken like 3 weeks and still cannot seem to complete it. I am about to give up and give my money elsewhere

call them ... they are super backed up via email but always respond promptly to phone calls

velomane

Reaction score

I spoke with her yesterday afternoon, so she is around.

chuckb

Reaction score
Got my resoled ranger-mocs back, with the natural Aspen LH soles. Definitely a great choice. Comfortable and much more support than the camp moc soles, a bit thicker as well. I can definitely feel the cushion in there. The camp moc sole wasn't uncomfortable, but you could definitely feel the ground under your foot. This is a nice compromise between the overly obvious Vibram Christie sole, and the fake rubber heel of the RLH sole. It's very interesting putting these on, after having worn my boat shoes for the past couple of weeks.

Also, there was no upcharge for upgrading the sole, which was a nice touch. $60 with shipping, round trip. It's a no-brainer, then, if you're getting your shoe resoled. No way I'd get it redone with a camp-moc or boat sole, if I can get this sole instead.

Any chance you could post a picture? I'm considering having the same thing done with my pinch pennies when the time comes, and it'd be great to see what it looks like.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
Can we get some side profile shots too? and looking down at them from a 45 degree angle.

JVD521

Reaction score

Any chance you could post a picture? I'm considering having the same thing done with my pinch pennies when the time comes, and it'd be great to see what it looks like.

+1 Still trying to decide between Aspen LH and the camp sole for my Ranger Moc's.

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
I received my Rancourt x Steve Alan shoes yesterday, the ones a bunch of us snagged for $70. Love that peanut suede. Oh, and by the way, the Amazonas camp moc sole is much softer and thicker than I had expected, which is a good thing. I was worried it would be hard and thin.

So here's the question: how should Rancourts fit?

I ask this question in light of recent talk here of sizing, but also because the fact is that I'm not sure what to expect. Nearly 6 days of the week I wear Allen Edmonds dress shoes, which, as you know, are relatively heavy and stiff Goodyear welted shoes. Rancourt mocs are different beasts: softer leathers + hand-sewn moc construction + pliant rubber (mostly) soles. And here's a big difference: I don't expect the AEs to stretch much at all except perhaps at particular pressure points. Basically, they fit how they fit, and there's not much breaking in. So, one result is that my AEs fit TTS in most lasts. Rancourt leather stretches.

Now, about these Rancourts: putting my new moc chukkas on, I would argue that they fit perfectly right now with regard to length (there's a bit of space between my toe and the end of the shoe...just the right amount...not too little, not too much) and snugness. They are more comfy than AEs because everything's softer and more pliant. I know, however, that everything will stretch and feel looser. Does that mean they won't fit anymore? Or, how do I define appropriate fit? My Clarks stretch too much and feel floppy to the point where it bothers me. My older Rancourts are noticeably loose, but not to the point where it bothers me. And I can't help but wonder if perhaps that "relaxed" fit I feel with the Rancourts is or is not the way moc construction shoes like these should fit.

Thoughts?

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look pretty good, in my opinion. Not as obvious as a christie sole, not as thin as a camp moc sole. Definitely the right amount of cushion to it.

One thing about the resole, though, is that I'm not 100% thrilled with how they filled in the holes in the upper from the previous sole's stitching. It's not apparent at a distance, but up close you can see a sort of flexible rubber cement, colored to the CXL, around the bottom that was used to patch it up. You can make it out if you look up by the ball of my foot in the pictures. It's obviously necessary, but it's just something to bear in mind if you get a resole. A couple of the stitching holes didn't quite get filled in perfectly. It's just something to keep in mind regarding Blake Rapid vs Good-year welting. I wouldn't want this on a pair of boots that I was intending to wear in the rain.

Last edited:

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my Steven Alan peanut chukkas. Don't know how I feel about the chukka-ness of them, but the shoe was definitely a great choice, a steal. Snug on my foot (I like the fit of my 9EE, so a 9.5D was going to be tight, but once I got my feet in they clearly will mold to the foot. Perfect length, and the leather is already starting to stretch. Good to know that 9.5 will work, at least in some cases, for deep-discounted Rancourts going forward.

On a note, I was glad to see that these aren't actually "leather lined" but are just suede with the top-grain left on. Much nicer to just have a solid piece of reverse suede, and the peanut is a beautiful color.

mcass

Reaction score
They look pretty good, in my opinion. Not as obvious as a christie sole, not as thin as a camp moc sole. Definitely the right amount of cushion to it.

One thing about the resole, though, is that I'm not 100% thrilled with how they filled in the holes in the upper from the previous sole's stitching. It's not apparent at a distance, but up close you can see a sort of flexible rubber cement, colored to the CXL, around the bottom that was used to patch it up. You can make it out if you look up by the ball of my foot in the pictures. It's obviously necessary, but it's just something to bear in mind if you get a resole. A couple of the stitching holes didn't quite get filled in perfectly. It's just something to keep in mind regarding Blake Rapid vs Good-year welting. I wouldn't want this on a pair of boots that I was intending to wear in the rain.
For the ill-informed, were yours Blake Rapid or Goodyear welted?

That being said, I had to look very closely in the pictures to notice what you were mentioning. Don't let that bug you too much - very tough to see. And as you said, necessary.

DC Office Hack

Reaction score

For the ill-informed, were yours Blake Rapid or Goodyear welted?

That being said, I had to look very closely in the pictures to notice what you were mentioning. Don't let that bug you too much - very tough to see. And as you said, necessary.

I believe those are neither Blake Rapid nor Goodyear, but Moc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads