• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The soft leather outsoles are pretty common on Quoddy's, and they do recommend them for outdoor use. Not sure how many people are using them out of doors though. Quoddy states that they aren't the best for wet conditions (not sure if the issue is traction or durability), and that would be a bit of a problem here in rainy Japan.
Another option would be the vibram wrap around soles that Quoddy uses. Guessing that Rancourt doesn't stock these.......

boat shoes with a sole that's not the best for wet conditions just doesn't make sense to me. even tho majority of us don't really use it on the boat.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think that the Rancourt chukka moc picutred earlier is intended to be a boat shoe. That being said, the vibram wrap is an interesting option, though it is a blow to any authenticity the shoe can claim. Seems moccasin is an Algonquin word, and soft soled mocs were used by Native Americans in the east (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moccasin), so getting them wet is not outside the tradition. Of course, I understand that our interest in and use of such a shoe are very different from its originstors.

Still not sure about traction on hard, modern surfaces though. Seems like a material that a little bit of water could make very slick on marble or smooth tile.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Yes, leather soled mocassins were the original outdoor shoe in North America, so I have no doubt they can be used outside, and in canoes too for that matter. But, as Frank stated, not sure they are the best option for out of doors today.

The vibram wrap sole is, indeed, not "authentic", but it does still offer the look of a wrap around sole cradling your feet. I think I like it, but (as with all things) would like to see it in person.

tv2177, the vibram wrap sole should be fine in wet conditions. I think it makes a very acceptable sole for a boat shoe. Were you referring to the leather soles?

cking

Reaction score

b544f60b.jpg

Olive cxl unlined + welt + red camp sole
Size down from 13D to 13B.

I received my chukkas last week and saw that they had the similar half to 3/4 length sole (as shown in the photo above from rkusmant). Does this mean all Rancourt & Co shoes are not full length soles?

And is the sole stitched or glued? To me it seemed glued but I can't tell...

EDIT: To answer my own question I think that it might have to do with whether you it's 'fully lined midsole'

Last edited:

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
As part of the brook brothers semi-annual sale I purchased the navy venetians. I originally purchased sz 10 D, but had to exchange for 10.5 (I am Alden Barrie last size 10 for reference). Based on an email exchange with Kyle, I think a 10.5 B would be perfect, which BB doesn't sell, but at least now I know my MTO size. They are beautiful shoes. The leather is wonderful. The sole is very thin but more supportive than I thought, but I'm not going to wear them to walk miles and miles. I am toying with the idea of sending them to Rancourt to put a different sole on, maybe a white boat sole or tempest.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Received my green unlined shell Ranger Mocs with bright brass eyelets on the 555 last with natural lactae hevea soles. According to Kyle, the 555 is a narrower and a little shorter than the regular Ranger Moc last. It's the last those suede Rancourt for BB chukkas are made on.

These are extremely lightweight.

Needless to say, I'm very pleased with them and I'm really looking forward to getting out and about in them.

Note that the first photo shows the Horween stamp on the shell in the foot bed.

Last edited:

Calikid

Reaction score
Received my green unlined shell Ranger Mocs with bright brass eyelets on the 555 last with natural lactae hevea soles. According to Kyle, the 555 is a narrower and a little shorter than the regular Ranger Moc last. It's the last those suede Rancourt for BB chukkas are made on.
Needless to say, I'm very pleased with them and I'm really looking forward to getting out and about in them.

Those look great...enjoy wearing

ElDave

Reaction score

Thanks for sharing, Frank. Could I bother you for a picture taken in natural light? I'm considering a pair of these and would like to see just how green they are in real life.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As part of the brook brothers semi-annual sale I purchased the navy venetians.  I originally purchased sz 10 D, but had to exchange for 10.5 (I am Alden Barrie last size 10 for reference).  Based on an email exchange with Kyle, I think a 10.5 B would be perfect, which BB doesn't sell, but at least now I know my MTO size.  They are beautiful shoes.  The leather is wonderful.  The sole is very thin but more supportive than I thought, but I'm not going to wear them to walk miles and miles.  I am toying with the idea of sending them to Rancourt to put a different sole on, maybe a white boat sole or tempest.   

Interesting. I bought half a size down from my TTS (9D) and the right shoe still feels a little loose after 9 or 10 wears. I do not keep them in shoe trees anymore, because I am worried they will stretch more. Let us know how they feel after several more wears.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing, Frank. Could I bother you for a picture taken in natural light? I'm considering a pair of these and would like to see just how green they are in real life.

Sure. These are taken in a window with indirect natural light.

Do they help?

The green is really very deep to start with. I'm going to be interested to see what kind of patina this color shell develops.

ElDave

Reaction score

Sure. These are taken in a window with indirect natural light.

Do they help?
The green is really very deep to start with. I'm going to be interested to see what kind of patina this color shell develops.

Thanks! It does help and I hope you enjoy them.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I expect somewhat of a biased answer, being that this is the Rancourt thread, but are the boat shoes noticably nicer than a pair of sperry's? Enough to justify the premium? Was thinking of getting my dad a pair for his birthday, but my sisters can't understand why someone would pay $215 when you could get (what they perceive to be) the same shoe for $60. Anyone owned both?

Last edited:

mothball

Reaction score

Those are fantastic.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bakes11771

Eh, I wouldn't really even go there. Rancourts are hand made in America. Sperry is most likely mass produced in China. Having said that, I have been thinking about a pair of Sperry boat shoes because of 1) Nostalgia, Paul Sperry designed the modern boat shoe and 2) I wear boat shoes less than six times per year. If either of these caveats do not apply to you, consider a higher end shoe especially as a gift.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads