• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sure. These are taken in a window with indirect natural light.

Do they help?
The green is really very deep to start with. I'm going to be interested to see what kind of patina this color shell develops.

These look outstanding! Wear in good health

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He'll notice the difference if he wears them often enough. Particularly after the point when most mass produced shoes start to fall apart as the glue separates. The Rancourts will keep on chugging.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

[/SPOILER]
Those are fantastic.

Those look great...enjoy wearing

These look outstanding! Wear in good health

Thanks, gents.

And Bakes11771: My 2 cents on the question of Rancourt vs. Sperry (without ever having worn Sperry), is that I think there's almost certain to be a significant difference in the quality, both of the construction and the materials (which are also generally from Horween, also made in the USA). My Rancourts have been comfortable from the instant I put them on, socks or no. How much you want to spend on a gift is a personal decision, but if your dad appreciates quality and appreciates American-made products, then Rancourt is a good bet. Oh, and the service from Kyle and everyone else there has been excellent.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you own a pair?

I mean, I get that they are hand-made and horween cxl, but what I'm really asking is will he see and feel the difference in quality when he takes them out of the box. He's been wearing sperry's for years and just bought an old mahogony wooden speedboat to be delivered shortly. So I am getting him all boating related items.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

I expect somewhat of a biased answer, being that this is the Rancourt thread, but are the boat shoes noticably nicer than a pair of sperry's?  Enough to justify the premium?  Was thinking of getting my dad a pair for his birthday, but my sisters can't understand why someone would pay $215 when you could get (what they perceive to be) the same shoe for $60.  Anyone owned both?

I own a pair of Sperry boat shoes in their "Sahara" color (basically a tan color) as well as a pair of tan CXL Rancourt penny loafers from Brooks Brothers. There is really no comparison between the materials used on the two shoes. In comparison to the CXL on the Rancourt, the Sperry's leather looks "cardboardy" and without any visual depth that CXL has. The Rancourt also feels more substantial and just more robust.

Having said that, I doubt that the average person who do not appreciate fine footwear is going to notice much of a difference between the two. Is the Rancourt worth 3~4x more than the Sperry? Perhaps it's not possible to prove it one way or another, but as with most things in life, the cost goes up exponentially with higher quality, not proportionally. There is no mistaking that the Rancourt is superior. You just have to decide if you want to get the higher quality item and if you're willing to pay the asking price for the higher quality.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm into Rancourt for their unlined suede. But I expect their bought shoes to be of comparable quality. As for your father, only you can answer that really. Does he tend to notice and appreciate craftsmanship in his clothes and shoes? That will give you a better indicator if something like a Rancourt will be meaningful to him.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Do you own a pair?

I mean, I get that they are hand-made and horween cxl, but what I'm really asking is will he see and feel the difference in quality when he takes them out of the box.  He's been wearing sperry's for years and just bought an old mahogony wooden speedboat to be delivered shortly.  So I am getting him all boating related items.

I own four pairs of Rancourts in two colors of shell, CXL, and suede. I haven't owned any Sperry's that I know of.

That boat your dad is getting sounds sounds outrageously nice. Now I don't know squat about boats, so I may be overstepping here considerably, but if he is buying himself a boat like that, isn't he going to appreciate a craftsman made product like Rancourt?

Anyway, take a photo of that boat when it arrives. I'd really like to see that. :nodding:

Kashiwa

Reaction score
@ Frank Cowperwood. The new Ranger Mocs look great. Enjoy wearing! Agree, will be very interesting to see how these develop.

calidist

Reaction score
Sure. These are taken in a window with indirect natural light.

Do they help?
The green is really very deep to start with. I'm going to be interested to see what kind of patina this color shell develops.

Have you worn these yet? I'm really curious how people like this sole.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you own a pair?

I mean, I get that they are hand-made and horween cxl, but what I'm really asking is will he see and feel the difference in quality when he takes them out of the box.  He's been wearing sperry's for years and just bought an old mahogony wooden speedboat to be delivered shortly.  So I am getting him all boating related items.

spring on pair of Rancourts for the old man!

I'll echo what's already been said in that the difference in quality is night and day.

They're substantial and they look, smell, and feel amazing.

I wore sperry's before i knew any better and will never go back.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

spring on pair of Rancourts for the old man!
I'll echo what's already been said in that the difference in quality is night and day.
They're substantial and they look, smell, and feel amazing.
I wore sperry's before i knew any better and will never go back.

+1

I remember that my sperry used to feel really comfortable out of the box, but the leather just looks cheap compare to Rancourt's.

plus i think boat shoes looks best when beat up and the best part is you can resole by sending it back to rancourt and still keep those beat up look, but this is personal tho.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I expect somewhat of a biased answer, being that this is the Rancourt thread, but are the boat shoes noticably nicer than a pair of sperry's?  Enough to justify the premium?  Was thinking of getting my dad a pair for his birthday, but my sisters can't understand why someone would pay $215 when you could get (what they perceive to be) the same shoe for $60.  Anyone owned both?

I own both and Rancourt is hands down better. I wear my Rancourts 3-4 days a week and never wear the Sperry's. Rancourts are much more comfortable, breathable, and fit much better. If you're looking for a little less expensive try RL's Rancourts. Comes to $170 before tax with the code BZR8233 for calf and $160 for suede.

lofigeek

Reaction score

As part of the brook brothers semi-annual sale I purchased the navy venetians.  I originally purchased sz 10 D, but had to exchange for 10.5 (I am Alden Barrie last size 10 for reference).  Based on an email exchange with Kyle, I think a 10.5 B would be perfect, which BB doesn't sell, but at least now I know my MTO size.  They are beautiful shoes.  The leather is wonderful.  The sole is very thin but more supportive than I thought, but I'm not going to wear them to walk miles and miles.  I am toying with the idea of sending them to Rancourt to put a different sole on, maybe a white boat sole or tempest.   

BEAUTIFUL SHOES!

just curious, do all rancourts have the size marked into the leather on the tongue bit there? i saw this on a pair of pinch penny loafers at my local BB too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads