• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

JackL2

Reaction score
Got it, thank you. I'm afraid they're closed over there now, and I'll just be in the city for a short time tomorrow... will try to call then!

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Jack Spade in Boston has the collab chukka. I saw it today, it is pretty good looking

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well not a lot of customed on mine .

1st pair is Caramel Shell Penny beefroll " ships Monday" I prefer leather sole so I keep it with natural edge. I did ask for the vamp to be cut smooth.

2nd Espresso and again went leather sole with matching stitching. I debated because I like the look of contrasting stitching but in the end went matching. Same on the vamp cut smooth.

Well mine were supposed to ship today but I did not receive a tracking number so I am not sure if they went...how about you?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to know if those brogues have a double sole. And, does this mean rancourt's aiming to make dress shoes? Or just "country" shoes like a brogue derby?

One thing the vid did not address was why Blake as opposed to Goodyear. My hunch-based on very little real knowledge--is that the Blake method is a smaller jump from hand-sewn and thus easier to integrate into a hand-sewn shop. I'm just guessing that that's the case.

This business about Blake construction led me to this wonderful thread on AAAC:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?85307-Shoe-Construction

What I didn't understand before reading through the above is the difference between Blake and Blake Rapid, which is what Rancourt's doing. Blake is great for sleek dress shoes--arguably better than Goodyear-- but ill-suited for precisely the kinds of shoes Rancourt's making (chukkas, boots...and now possibly brogue derbies). Blake Rapid is perfect for that stuff, however. One thing that occurred to me is that once one has the capability to do Blake Rapid (the machines and the skills to use them), one can do Blake as well and make just about any kind of shoe or boot--including sleek dress shoes. I wonder if Rancourt always had this capability or only recently acquired it so as to expand its product range beyond the hand-sewn/moc construction niche. Just watching the vid, it's clear that it takes more than a machine: one needs to know what one's doing, and such skills don't appear overnight unless, I suppose, one simply recruits people who have them.

While there may be some truth to your comment about it being easier to introduce Blake-Rapid construction to a hand-sewn factory rather than jumping to Goodyear-welting, I wouldn't necessarily believe that is why they did it. Many of the true experts out there consider Blake-Rapid to be the next best type of shoe construction after hand-welted shoes, based on the stance that gemming used in Goodyear-welting is inferior and is a weak link which will eventually fail and cause the shoe to fall apart. The fact that Goodyear-welting is the "gold-standard" manufactering method for almost all ready-to-wear high-end shoes doesn't mean that it is truely the most robust construction outside of hand-welting. There are pros and cons to both techniques when in the realm of ready-to-wear factory made shoes, and I imagine it was a calculated choice by Rancourt to use the Blake-Rapid method instead of Goodyear-welting. I would be mostly concerned by what appears to be a leather wrapped fiber or leatherboard insole that they showed in the video. If your shoe rots from the inside out rather than from the outside in, or if it rots rather than falling apart, you are eventually going to be in trouble when the ravages of time take their toll. I just wish they were using robust natural leather insoles, because I think it would really make a difference in their longevity.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well for me it was supposed to ship last Friday but where behind due to shortage in caramel shell. I was informed today that they will in fact ship tomorrow. Which is cool not in a huge rush.
Just got my tracking info and they show delivered this morning!! I have to resist the urge to leave work "sick"

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered my shoes yesterday, got the tracking number today :slayer:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Espresso shell Ranger Moc
Matching brown stitch
Antique brass eyelets
Waxed cotton laces
Leather midsole with natural stain and tan stitching
Montello mini lug sole (near identical to the stitched in commando Alden does)

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Espresso shell Ranger Moc
Matching brown stitch
Antique brass eyelets
Waxed cotton laces
Leather midsole with natural stain and tan stitching
Montello mini lug sole (near identical to the stitched in commando Alden does)

Darn. Both great looking. Love the baseball stitching on the camp mocs and the Espresso shell is beautiful. Also really like that "commando sole." Looks like an excellent choice!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads