1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. chuckb

chuckb Well-Known Member

Wearing my green and blue suede boat shoes (the jack spade ones) today - my third pair of rancourts, and I could scarcely be happier with all of them.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Well-Known Member

I will buy a pair of blue boat shoes from Rancourt.
    I am yet undecided between Navy CXL and Parisian Blue CXL.
    Any thoughts on the two leathers of those who have handeled both? Portland Dry Goods for example?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  3. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

4. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

5. Portland Dry Goods

Portland Dry Goods Well-Known Member

237 Commercial Street, Portland, Me 04102

we used parisian blue for one of our non seasonal belts we're running and its amazing. its far more "blue" than the navy cxl. basically its a toss up between toned down and vibrant but there's no wrong answer

here's Parisian:
    [​IMG]

6. Louis XIV

Your belt was the reason I even considered the Parisian Blue.
    I am a bit afraid though, that while we agree upon it being a lovely color for a belt, it might be a bit too much into peoples faces if it came as concentrated as in an entire shoe.
    As you have handled both the Parisian Blue and the Navy CXL first hand and under natural light, which one of the following pictures, which both show a shoe in Parisian Blue, shows the shoe more realistic as it would look like under natural light?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love the way the boat shoe looks in the second picture but I feel it shows the shoe darker looking than it would look like under natural light as both the picture of your belt as well as the picture of the woman's loafer make the leather appear lighter in color.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  7. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Well-Known Member

Is it me or are those navy boat shoes much different than anything on their website? Even in their made to order section. The colour of the leather even looks different than their navy bulldog ones.

8. Louis XIV

I spoke to Katie about them.
    I think there are three details about them, which set them apart from most of their boat shoes.

1. Parisian Blue CXL vs Navy CXL and Navy Bulldog, which they usually use.
    2. White thread vs natural thread which the Rancourts prefer over white.
    3. The eyelets are nickel plated brass and shiny so vs dull which they use for most of their boat shoes.

Have a look at the following offering of Ball and Buck. It is very much in line with how Rancourt normally produces boat shoes.
    Navy CXL, natural thread, dull nickel eyelets. To me it is a good looking shoe, but it is a bit boring, something is missing.
    I'll probably go for Navy CXL paired with white thread and shiny eyelets, but am really curious what Portland Dry Goods has to say regarding the look of Parisian Blue CXL under natural light.
    http://ballandbuck.com/products/rancourt-and-co-boat-shoe-navy

9. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

I just ordered my first pair of Rancourt Ranger Mocs. The Clymer - Navy Chromexcel.

I requested they add a liner to these shoes.

Can anyone tell me if they usually honor this type of request and if they charge anything for this modification?

10. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Perfect summer day...

[​IMG]

11. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Well-Known Member

They will charge you extra. $20-50.

12. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Well-Known Member

Sizing question: i recently picked up a pair of Brooks Bros casual loafers in 8d and find they fit well. Would you all recommend i order ranger mocs or other non-loafer mocs in the same size?

13. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Thanks

14. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

Yes, unless you want to wear heavy socks with the laced shoes.

15. mothball

mothball Well-Known Member

Natural CXL & khaki calico suede ranger mocs:

[​IMG]

The calico suede is quite rough--I don't think I'd order it in another shoe, but maybe a wet weather boot. The stitching's a little wonky on that one, but it's not as noticeable when wearing. I'm really happy with how the CXL pair turned out.

16. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Which soles did you get on each?

17. mothball

mothball Well-Known Member

Red camp for the suede and brown camp for the CXL. I'm thinking about an RLH sole for the next order.

18. UltraMagnetical

UltraMagnetical Well-Known Member

Im torn between natural CXL and brown CXL for my ranger mocs. Both look awesome. Anyone care to help me decide? :D

19. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

Seems as natural develops more character over time. I don't have any, just brown CXL, but what I are in photos makes natural look appealing. Brown is a beautiful leather of course.

20. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

If you insist that the color is uniform, then brown. If you don't mind that one shoe might be a different shade than the other, Natural is an option. What sole are you going with? Its color might make a difference in the decision.

I prefer brown, but I also have very plain taste.