• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

postal007

Reaction score
Thanks! I ordered one as well.

I just got notice that Purdey started their 30% off sale : http://www.purdey.com/clothing-accessories/sale/

At $454 (without VAT) + free shipping to US, I instakopped their in-house C&J Islay.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

@razl
, thanks for posting.  Ordered a pair as well!

I foresee a lot of happily shod fellow members with hurting bank accounts in the near future. But, glad I could finally pass along a winner!

zinc2162

Reaction score
Thanks @razl for posting the deal. I am considering the Coniston boots. But this calfskins version won't be as good as the grain ones for Canadian winter weather, right?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks @razl
for posting the deal. I am considering the Coniston boots. But this calfskins version won't be as good as the grain ones for Canadian winter weather, right?

Hmmm, interesting question that I don't know the answer to. Grain always looks more hardy but I don't know that it is intrinsically any more so. I would say that, as I understand it, grain is a created on leather as a technique* and, therefore, usually only done on less fine leathers; that might also help bolster the idea that grained leathers are made of less fine/delicate hides and therefore a sturdier group as a result.

All that said, I have a pair of Tricker Stowe's in calf that I have had for years as my Islay stand-in's; I have worn them relentlessly in foul weather, snow, rain, etc. They are my go-to winter boots for 6 or 7 years now. Not only have they held up fantastically, they've patina'd better than any other boot or shoe I have ever had (my EG's for RLPL boots are a close second). They make the argument for the worse they're treated, the better they look. I'm hoping the Islays follow the exact same arc. But still, I don't see how grain or anything else would have been any better or worse.

(* I read that "grain" on leather was originally accidentally developed; someone left a hide in some state and found it months later with the raised grain and liked it enough to develop the process into a technique).

That's all I know - hope that helps!

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is what I have and what you should have for Canadian winter weather.
http://www.purdey.com/clothing-accessories/mens-rough-out-nubuck-boot-dainite-sole-boot24.aspx

They can take some serious abuse.

Great point, I totally missed the key word CANADIAN in the OPs question. I'm in Florida where our winter barely equates to your fall, but I spend a good amount of time in the north eastern US during Oct-Jan season (we like visiting for winter). So take all my answer about winter wear with that as context; earnest, but clearly out of it's depth for a full Canadian season.

Last edited:

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks razl.

Does anyone know how the 325 last fit versus the 348? Same size or go down half a size?

And does Purdey use Royal Mail to ship to North America? If it's UPS/FedEx I'll have to bow out.

Saturninus

Reaction score
Is it fair to consider the Cardigan 4 as a regular shoe version of the Skye 2 boot? I believe they are built on the same last, come in dark brown cordovan, both storm-welted with Dainite soles, and the broguing patterns seem to be similar. The punch holes, however, on the Cardigan 4 look bigger somehow, but I can't tell if this is just perception due to the smaller overall dimensions of the Cardigan.

I really wanted to get the Skye 2 boots in cordovan, but I think it might be a bit impractical for me, given that I live in a perpetually warm climate. I've come to like the design so much, however, that I'd gladly buy the Cardigan 4 instead if it is pretty much a non-boot version of the cordovan Skye 2.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks razl.

Does anyone know how the 325 last fit versus the 348? Same size or go down half a size?

And does Purdey use Royal Mail to ship to North America? If it's UPS/FedEx I'll have to bow out.

I'm curious, why skip if they use UPS/FedEx?

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dainite rubber soles are not that great in the snow IMO. I much prefer commando for ice/snow.

I agree with you and if I went MTO I would buy ridgeway soles. When I recreaft these it will be with ridgeway soles.
To be perfectly honest the only safe thing on ice/snow is Yaktrax.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads