• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hi everyone,

I've not messaged on here before as I have only recently left C&J's and wanted to remain professional during my employment there. 

I can honestly say that the best thing about Crocketts is that they will bend over backwards to help their customers, it's the best service I've seen anywhere in London and it was a great learning experience.

Thanks Bootspell (and others) for writing such kind words on this forum, it means a lot to me. I'm glad to hear your boots have worked well for you and you're emassing a collection that will last a lifetime :)

I'm happy to see so many well-worn boots on here, that's the way it should be (in my optinion). I'm currently giving my conistons a good thrashing this winter and trying to refrain from polishing them up (which is extremely hard for me)!! CTbrummie, your conistons look to have turned more of a chestnut tone (I assume you bought them in Tan)... very nice!

Cheers,

Will

I bought Northcote and Tetbury from you during my short 2 years sting in London (2009~2011), the few things I have ever paid retail, and I have to say no regrets. Good luck to whatever new place you're going

jssdc

Reaction score

Please B, no need for the sorry. I've looked at Portman and yet to try on as ordinarily if I do then I walk away with them!

Restraint? I don't think so. I think it's coz I'm not sure about a Demi. I do C & J, I like the boots, I like the shoes. Demi...

That said, they look great as all CJ do and the Beechnut open up a range of uses in any strong shoe/boot/Demi rotation.

Quite the dandy. (You got me thinking)

You'll pull the trigger anytime soon?

Ps check out the price as seem a little ^

I have the Portman 3 in dark brown and really like them. They're beautiful shoes and the leather is super soft and has great color depth. However, they are not particularly versatile. I was surprised his dressy they are, and how they really only look good with suits. If you already have a solid collection then they are a worth addition, but make sure you've got the essentials first.

Below are some pics in the wild (or at least my office).

BillP

Reaction score

I have the Portman 3 in dark brown and really like them. They're beautiful shoes and the leather is super soft and has great color depth. However, they are not particularly versatile. I was surprised his dressy they are, and how they really only look good with suits. If you already have a solid collection then they are a worth addition, but make sure you've got the essentials first.

Below are some pics in the wild (or at least my office).

Thanks jssdc. That's good to know about "dressy" factor.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've not messaged on here before as I have only recently left C&J's and wanted to remain professional during my employment there.

I can honestly say that the best thing about Crocketts is that they will bend over backwards to help their customers, it's the best service I've seen anywhere in London and it was a great learning experience.

Thanks Bootspell (and others) for writing such kind words on this forum, it means a lot to me. I'm glad to hear your boots have worked well for you and you're emassing a collection that will last a lifetime :)

I'm happy to see so many well-worn boots on here, that's the way it should be (in my optinion). I'm currently giving my conistons a good thrashing this winter and trying to refrain from polishing them up (which is extremely hard for me)!! CTbrummie, your conistons look to have turned more of a chestnut tone (I assume you bought them in Tan)... very nice!

Cheers,

Will

Hey Will, immensely pleased you've joined this thread. Your knowledge and experience will certainly be appreciated. I am certain that C&J are missing you terribly. Since you sold me those Harlechs, I have bought a pair of Conistons on sale from Barneys and really enjoying them. I'm also on a group MTO for a whiskey shell Harlech that we are hoping will arrive in a month or so. Lauren Taylor is coordinating that MTO for us.

As a side note, I think you have corrupted my wife. She used to buy cheap cemented shoes that lasted barely six months. After you sold her those boots and shoes, she is definitely spending more money on quality footwear for herself. @West End Closer is very apt!! I wish you the best in your current and future endeavors.

Welcome again, Will.

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you've got yourself a pair of Coniston, IN SALE TOO!!! They are certainly my favourite C&J boot. I remember you trying them on in the store actually, the 325 last fit you very well! You did well getting a group together for those whiskey Harlechs, they will be very special once they're made. If your lucky you might get a pair with the Horween stamp inside (would be on the tongue probably), it's fairly rare but an extra touch I personally like. I'm also pleased to hear your wife is enjoying her new found appreciation for quality footwear. The womens range is certainly growing in popularity although womens fashion tends to be more transient so time will tell the longevity of this, fingers crossed!

I love the Portman demi-boots, the 358 last is a little long for my feet but looks extremely sharp. The only problem with the Portman was that it can sometimes be a little high round the top-line and sometimes rubbed on the ankle, most don't have a problem but it's something to consider if anyone mail orders a pair even if they have another shoe on the same last.

Reaction score
Oh, and the portman (with the heel sock removed) is one of the best models for use with orthotic insoles, very deep - so your heel won't slip in the shoe once lifted by the insole.

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score

Hi everyone,

I can honestly say that the best thing about Crocketts is that they will bend over backwards to help their customers, it's the best service I've seen anywhere in London and it was a great learning experience.

Thanks Bootspell (and others) for writing such kind words on this forum, it means a lot to me. I'm glad to hear your boots have worked well for you and you're emassing a collection that will last a lifetime :)

Cheers,

Will

Hello you sold me the Pembroke a few months ago @ 92 Jermyn St. I can recognise it's you by your beautiful Rolex Datejust^. Thank you so much again for your great customer service. I've also since bought a pair of chestnut Finsbury because I had such a good experience of Crockett & Jones with you. Sorry to hear you're no longer there but very best wishes to you & happy new year :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Chuckie Egg, I probably told you at the time but I've got a pair of Pembrokes and they are so comfortable (as I'm sure you now know), particularly useful for all this winter rain! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your shopping experience and I really appreciate the kind comments. Normally the Date Just isn't too visible hidden under my shirt cuff but obviously when bending down to assist customers it tended to make an appearance. I usually try to keep it a little more subtle ;) I'm going to have to join the watch threads next I think.

The Finsburys are such a classic and chestnut is arguably THE most versatile colour you can get at crocketts. I definately preffer the classic ranges c'nut calf with age as it can be quite monotone straight out of the factory. 6 months wear and they get sooooooo much nicer. The shades vary up, the depth of the patina builds and the tone of the dye mellows (much like the connaughts I posted earlier which are made of the same calf).

Happy New Year to you too!

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
Thank you Will. May I ask your recommendation for the appropriate polish for chestnut? Does C&J do a chestnut polish? (You also sold me 2 tins of C&J tan polish and shoe trees) :)

dusttruffle

Reaction score
Thank you Will. May I ask your recommendation for the appropriate polish for chestnut? Does C&J do a chestnut polish? (You also sold me 2 tins of C&J tan polish and shoe trees)
smile.gif

+1.

As someone who will be making a chestnut connaught purchase, i would love to know the best way to develop the patina, and what products to use / how to use them on the C&J chestnut calf.

I was recently fitted for some Connaughts in Black, and some Chestnut were brought out so i could easily try the F fitting. | rather quickly decided that some chestnut connaughts were in my future. Perhaps this is a well known C&J sales technique? If it is it certainly worked!

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score

I can honestly say that the best thing about Crocketts is that they will bend over backwards to help their customers

Definitely true... I had asked for my Finsbury to be changed to dainite sole (i wanted to wear it in all weather) but unfortunately the local repair guy that C&J used didn't do such a great job, with asymmetry and unevenness as well as dent marks. Mr Barr the asst manager of the Royal Exchange London store very kindly obliged my request without quibble to send it to the factory to do it and it came back perfect as you'd expect, and I am truly grateful :)

And the Pembroke that Will sold me @ 92 Jermyn St (thanks again!)... :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member