• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quilted Jackets

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Belstaff has some pretty fine looking moto-inspired quilted coats, as well as some more traditional looking styles. I bought one myself this past week, will post fit pics at some point I guess..

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a Chelsea and a RL Richmond vest (and have tried on the Richmond Jacket). Here's my thoughts:
The Barbour is heavier than the RL and mine has a very light fleece interior, so I'd consider it more of a winter jacket. The construction is a bit burlier than the Polos and the coat has some heft compared to most quilts, but the sizing has Barbour's usual vagaries so you might need to size up or down a bit to get it right. Leather trim at the wrists and underneath the collar, back snaps at the waist to give it some shape, extra zip pocket on the front is great for my phone/keys.
The RL is a very nice jacket but tends to run small all around - it is shorter and tighter - and you should automatically size up one. It has more details than the Chelsea (2-way zipper, throat latch, moleskin lined pockets, etc.), but the delta between the body and the shoulder sizing is a bit odd - I am a standard US42/EU44 and I had to take a XL to get the shoulders to fit and then take in about 2" - 2.5" in the body. It is a lighter quilt and is probably more of a Fall/Spring rig; there are also more color options. I prefer the Richmond to the current options as the suede patch and/or the new pockets seem a bit showy to me.
I scored both an FleaBay NWT for about $100 each - retail pricing is a bit silly - and they are go-to pieces for me. Vest gets a ton of action as it can be layered under or over a pretty big range of combos.
Hope this helps...

I'm looking back at the earlier posts in this thread and think that there are actually at least three weights for the Chelsea:

Flyweights
Sportsquilt
Polarquilt

The second of which I have, not the polarquilt as I earlier stated. I think you are referring to the polarquilt one in your post as I don't have the fleece lining on leather trim on the leather collar or sleeves.

Last edited:

galantuomo

Reaction score
What about this one?
I'm addicted to these kind of winter jackets.
I like it and when is not so cold you can take even the vest off.
Btw, this is not my favourit one.
Giving an attentive look, purists would agree with me

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bringing this back as I'm seriously looking to order the Chelsea soon. Would I want the Flyweight or Sportsquilt for Bay Area climate (50 - 60 Farenheit)? Thanks!

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bringing this back as I'm seriously looking to order the Chelsea soon. Would I want the Flyweight or Sportsquilt for Bay Area climate (50 - 60 Farenheit)? Thanks!

The max I would go with the sportquilt is 60 F assuming just a dress/sport shirt underneath.

Last edited:

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with Sportquilt, it's the perfect weight for that temperature, I usually wear mine with 15 C° outside.

Flyweight is more a early spring weight.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just wrote a guide a about quilted jackets for men where I outline the history of it, the features of the original Husky jacket as well as a buying guide. I am sure some of you may find it of interest.
Take a look here

So how would you assess the quality of the various jackets?

There is the Enrico Mandelli, some Loro Piana, etc. at the top.

Belstaff, Barbour, Lavenham, Burberry maybe in the middle?

Where does the Italian Husky fit in?

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So how would you assess the quality of the various jackets?

There is the Enrico Mandelli, some Loro Piana, etc. at the top.

Belstaff, Barbour, Lavenham, Burberry maybe in the middle?

Where does the Italian Husky fit in?

Some are made from higher grade polyester. Mandelli, for example, extracts theirs from SG chambray.

Last edited:

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D, excellent.

You remind me of a young Vox Corbera,

dijor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this quilted ISAIA coat? Mainly using it while walking with the dog.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads