• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting together a shoe wardrobe.

bafield

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
Although theres no denying thats a wonderful shoe, everytime i see that pic i just cant help but thinking at least one village still has its idiot.................

I disagree with your conclusion. On many occasions I've regretted not buying more than one of something; usually once it's too late. You never know when a certain product is going to be discontinued so if you find something that you love...stock up!

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bafield
I disagree with your conclusion. On many occasions I've regretted not buying more than one of something; usually once it's too late. You never know when a certain product is going to be discontinued so if you find something that you love...stock up!

Hey thats a sentiment i can get but 5 pairs !!!!!! ???????? Come on theres regret and theres ........ well you know ............

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brothersport
Don't think Foo regrets it for a second. Also strange that all of your punctuation keys seem to be stuck.

Foo does not suffer from a lack of confidence, at least where clothing is concerned

BareSolid

Reaction score
I'd like all pairs to ideally fall below £150. Their use shall be in smart casual and informal (in the traditional sense) clothing. I already have shoes for formal occasions, I also have a pair of trainers which I got from Nike that serve their purpose adequetely.

Herring's web site might be a good one to look for specific shoes that you'd recommend, Shipton and Heneage (whom I have used before and whose customer service is exemplary) is another. I have looked on Pediwear and correct me if I am wrong but their stuff seems to be more expensive than my budget allows.

What brands are recommended?

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
Although theres no denying thats a wonderful shoe, everytime i see that pic i just cant help but thinking at least one village still has its idiot.................

I think about the poor butt-less horses . . .

odrs

Reaction score
My pre-SF shoe wardrobe had a lot of black, rubber soled, square toed grossness. I've kept one pair for tradeshows, and started buying better shoes...

I started with AE Evanstons in black for $250CAD locally (a bit less than half price)
I then bought a no-name pair of "Italian" in dark brown, super soft leather with some interesting broguing on the toe for $150 locally (half price).
I just bought a pair of AE Manhattan's in Cognac from AE on ebay for $150USD.

Next purchase, monks or split toes (Or maybe a monk with a split toe!) in some sort brown.

mimile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
I'd like all pairs to ideally fall below £150. Their use shall be in smart casual and informal (in the traditional sense) clothing. I already have shoes for formal occasions, I also have a pair of trainers which I got from Nike that serve their purpose adequetely.

Herring's web site might be a good one to look for specific shoes that you'd recommend, Shipton and Heneage (whom I have used before and whose customer service is exemplary) is another. I have looked on Pediwear and correct me if I am wrong but their stuff seems to be more expensive than my budget allows.

What brands are recommended?

Baresolid,
I Would recommend for this price range that you choose Alfred Sargent. It is very good quality. If you have formal black shoes, I would suggest a brown suede and another dark brown in calf, depending on your foot size. Pediwear is just excellent.

BareSolid

Reaction score
mimile, if you by 'formal black shoes' you mean black oxford shoes, no I do not. However if you mean what I mean, black patent pumps, yes. As for the others, thanks for the suggestion of Sargents. Any particular styles recommended?

BareSolid

Reaction score
I also have reason to believe that Sargent makes shoes for S&H, albeit rebranded, and cheaper than they are on Pediwear too. I shall email S&H to see if this is the case.

mimile

Reaction score
mimile, if you by 'formal black shoes' you mean black oxford shoes, no I do not. However if you mean what I mean, black patent pumps, yes. As for the others, thanks for the suggestion of Sargents. Any particular styles recommended?

If you do not have a plain toe black oxford, it would be good to have one. This should be your first choice. In the UK, it is a must. The second should be a brown suede, oxford shoes also with or without brogueing. This really goes well with everything: grey, blue, navy and tan suits, also corduroy and even jeans... I have the Cranford from Alfred Sargent. I am so fond of it.
Now depending on your size and the width of your feet (F or G), you can make your choice. Take a look at Pediwear, Alfred Sargent, and browse a bit.
I would be very interested in knowing what you finally went for.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mimile
If you do not have a plain toe black oxford, it would be good to have one. This should be your first choice. In the UK, it is a must. The second should be a brown suede, oxford shoes also with or without brogueing. This really goes well with everything: grey, blue, navy and tan suits, also corduroy and even jeans... I have the Cranford from Alfred Sargent. I am so fond of it.
Now depending on your size and the width of your feet (F or G), you can make your choice. Take a look at Pediwear, Alfred Sargent, and browse a bit.
I would be very interested in knowing what you finally went for.

Thank you. Their shoes look lovely and I might start checking them out.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I can't live in defiance of the popular will.

oneshoearmy2m.jpg

I love this pic too. Are there other angles available?
Well done Mr Foo.

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice.

A few things
- I'm in a cold and wet climate but I still prefer not to wear rubber soles unless I am wearing plimsols at the gym.
- I like the idea of getting a pair of brown monk shoes and brogues, perhaps the latter darker than the former (tan monks and dark brown brogues, perhaps?).
- I have been curious at all these mentions of wearing black Oxfords to formal occasions, on the few times that I have worn white tie I have worn my beloved court shoes (opera pumps). They are also useful for black tie.
- I might get some loafers but I'm still undecided, and it must be stated that nobody wears cordovan in England.

Er, nearly nobody wears cordovan in England. ..I love the texture of cordovan & the way they age particularly the dull sheen- my three pairs are by Church - burgundy/black Strattons go with jeans +grey and blue suits & get most use, but mid-brown Graftons (with khakis) and MTO black Shannons (with suits) also get used. True that cordovan/krupp is much more popular in Germany than in UK.

Opera shoes look really good on Black Rod and members of the House of Lords (White wigs, knee length socks & Red or Black capes etc.) during opening of English parliament & plain odd on anyone else (even at the opera, IMHO). For formal (black tie) evening events I'd go for plain black patent laced shoes if you are feeling like a dandy or plain black calf for a more understated look.

In addition to other contributors' comments, as a staple for any wardrobe I'd suggest full (wingtip) brogues in black calf.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads