• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting together a shoe wardrobe.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Don't tempt me to post the photo again. The blame will be on your head.

In all fairness, you do have other shoes like your John Lobbs. People make it seem like you workout in the morning with Alden pair #1, goto work in #2, see a play in #3, and sleep in #4. The 5th of course being a backup.

Also, that pic will not get old. Aportnoy has one end, you have the other.

Benzito

Reaction score
Is it totally hokey to have the identical shoe in two different colors? I found a great deal on some black AE Dawsons (last year's, I assume) and went back a few days later and saw the same in brown and figured, what the heck (the second pair was even cheaper b/c they were seconds).

I doubt anyone in the office would know unless I pointed it out, which is good and bad.

John152

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benzito
Is it totally hokey to have the identical show in two different colors? I found a great deal on some black AE Dawsons (last year's, I assume) and went back a few days later and saw the same in brown and figured, what the heck (the second pair was even cheaper b/c they were seconds).

I doubt anyone in the office would know unless I pointed it out, which is good and bad.

No, it's only acceptable if you have the same shoe in the same color and many times over. I think with this Mafoo should post the picture.
teacha.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
A shoe wardrobe=two pairs so that you don't wear the same pair everyday. The rest is just superfluous stuff that you should buy according to what you enjoy, almost no one cares. As for the styles you need it depends on restriction in your dress possibilities, your wardrobe and your personal taste. Some get by with cowboy boots only and are quite happy so it is a meaningless question.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't live in defiance of the popular will.

oneshoearmy2m.jpg

Benzito

Reaction score
Those can't all be your shoes. No trees? Or do you just wear them once and throw them out?

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oneshoearmy2m.jpg

I never grow tired of this picture. It has the familiarity that only an 80's sitcom like Mork and Mindy can offer (I grew up in the 80's but I suppose you can add your own era here).

Could you please share their current state of wear? Please also share thoughts on whether they are aging differently and if so what characteristics and patina are they developing? Do you have a favourite pair? Conversely, do you have a pair that you dislike? Willl that pair become the beater pair (perhaps the pair you will wear into less than ideal situations like heavy rain or mowing the lawn).

It would be also helpful for you to share the procedure by which you rotate them and if so, have you got a designated pair for each day of the week (which helps with giving them an identity or a name, so to speak). Which then leads me to ask whether or not you have developed an aversion to wearing Monday on a Wednesday and if so, does Monday become Wednesday. What happens then to Wednesday? Do your other shoes get the same amount of rotation or is this more an ad hoc decision made on the fly?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Black plain or perf cap toe oxford

brown calf or bordo shell full brogue

chestnut or whisky colored norwegian

then as top ups

suede semi brogue

chukka tan suede or mid brown calf

penny loafer - unlined shell would be my preference

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oneshoearmy2m.jpg

Although theres no denying thats a wonderful shoe, everytime i see that pic i just cant help but thinking at least one village still has its idiot.................

mimile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
I am starting to build a smart shoe wardrobe.
What are the most important styles and colours needed?
I am thinking
- a black pair of Oxford shoes
- brown or burgundy brogues

What else? I want a black pair, a brown pair and a burgundy pair but where to start?
If you could suggest three of the most 'vital' styles in colours, bearing in mind I shall be starting in the autumn, I'd be very grateful.

For what use? And how much do you want to pay?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear an Alden captoe as my black shoe. Shell Cordovan blucher with double stacked soles. I really like the fact that they are built like tanks (you can see an example in my sig below).

For brown I love my AE Park Ave's, but I also have a few others from AE, as well as an Alfred Sargent plaintoe (almost a wholecut).

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

At least it is semi-topical this time

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
Although theres no denying thats a wonderful shoe, everytime i see that pic i just cant help but thinking at least one village still has its idiot.................

...and every party has its pooper. You have to admire the man for knowing what he likes and sticking to his guns.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads