1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Posting same topic here and on AAAC forums??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Casanova White, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Casanova White

Casanova White Active Member

Would it be considered uncouth to post a topic both here and on AAAC forum covering the same area in order to get more feedback?

I initially joined that forum but while I was waiting to be authorised I decided to join this one to get more immediate answers.

From my brief time on the forums I get the sense that this forum deals slightly more with 'real world' affordable clothes, then the AAAC is a little more expensive and esoteric, then above that dealing with Bespoke etc is The London Lounge.

CW

2. datasupa

datasupa Well-Known Member

just preface with 'x posted from aaac'

3. Sator

Sator Well-Known Member

Neither AAAC nor SF is "more expensive and esoteric" than the other. It used to be that if you cross posted you would find the discussions running in quite different directions. That was in the heyday of AAAC. These days the AAAC discussion peters out rapidly while the SF discussion may carry on a lot longer. Some old AAAC stalwarts like JLiboural have stopped posting there altogether.

Yes, LL is best reserved for bespoke. If I see a thread like "does my new JAB coat fit me?" there I will make a pointed effort to ignore it.

4. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Well-Known Member

I don't read AAAC.

5. medwards

medwards Well-Known Member

I do. [​IMG]

While there is some significant overlap in both membership and discussion topics, both Fora provide opportunities for meaningful conversations...even on the same topic. And those conversations often generate different (and even differing) content. I find nothing wrong with posting an inquiry on both boards; though I would echo the above recommendation to note that the message was cross-posted to both SF and AAAC.

6. antirabbit

antirabbit Well-Known Member

There are differences between the two.
    I was introduced to this site via AAAC, and I only glance there on occasion now.
    I spend a great deal of my free time on here now.
    There seems to be a wider range of posters here.
    Plus I find this site easier to navigate and use.
    The LL is more focused and serious than SF and AAAC. I also enjoy browsing there, but generally find it most comfortable here.

7. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Well-Known Member

What is AAAC? The ask andy forums?

8. Casanova White

Casanova White Active Member

9. james_timothy

james_timothy Well-Known Member

I like watching the AAAC trad forum-in the same funny way biologists watch starfish. There is that whole funny lifestyle that is supposed to go along with the clothes (with winking eye), I don't understand it but it looks interesting, and the looks are interesting, so I watch and watch and make up theories as to why they do what they do.

10. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

make up theories as to why they do what they do.

Maybe they just like the clothes?

11. james_timothy

I'm sure they do.

But there was this fascinating thread on whether polo (the sport) was trad.

12. Bird's One View

Bird's One View Well-Known Member

Good God, man, don't keep us hanging!

What was the outcome?

On topic, Baby Jesus kills a kitten every time you cross post.

13. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

From my brief time on the forums I get the sense that this forum deals slightly more with 'real world' affordable clothes, then the AAAC is a little more expensive and esoteric . . .

This was my impression a couple of years ago, but I think AAAC has tilted strongly toward Jos. A. Bank-type, low-to-mid level, correct-for-business clothes. In contrast, you get far more variety on SF, with a distinctly greater emphasis on high-end, bespoke things than what you'll find at AAAC.

14. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Well-Known Member

Cross posting though not frequent isn't uncommon, I can not imagine anyone having a problem with it.

15. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

This was my impression a couple of years ago, but I think AAAC has tilted strongly toward Jos. A. Bank-type, low-to-mid level, correct-for-business clothes. In contrast, you get far more variety on SF, with a distinctly greater emphasis on high-end, bespoke things than what you'll find at AAAC.

It's all about stealth wealth on the Styleforvm...

[​IMG]

16. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

There have been a lot of "Why would you pay so much for that?" responses lately, and not over brands that would be considered particularly high end here. Often followed by an argument over whether what we wear really matters. Very different than it used to be.

17. academe

academe Well-Known Member

I think that SF has a slightly more diverse and potentially younger member list than AAAC. There are some "cultural" differences, too. AAAC tends to be a wee bit more reserved and polite, while (perhaps because of the diversity here at SF), you occasionally get rather heated debates.

...But no, I don' think any one would have problems with cross-postings. It might actually be more useful to you in the long-run to get a range of viewpoints. Might also make it harder to make decisions about anything. [​IMG]

18. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Cross posting is perfectly fine. If you think about it, you would find it astounding that someone would get angry with you because you asked the same question somewhere else.

As to the utility, there was a time when if I wanted a useful answer, I would post in both places. The personality of the forums come and go, but at this point, there are maybe three or four people whose interests overlap with mine that I wouldn't likely reach by posting only here. I would not be surprised if the self-reinforcing nature of discussion groups resulted in AAAC being even more like it has become of late and therefore less interesting to me.

Posting on the London Lounge is a different matter as there is a smaller but geographically more diverse and focussed readership there as compared to here.

19. james_timothy

Good God, man, don't keep us hanging! What was the outcome?
    Is polo trad? No. But horses are. Unless their owners are rich. Then they aren't.

you occasionally get rather heated debates.
    which is part of the charm. The mods keep it within reason, from what I've seen.

But isn't the spectrum something like this:
    LL - AAAC - SF/Mens Clothing - SF/Streetwear - stylezeitgeist - superfuture
    I'm somewhere center-left in that.

20. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

I'll just say that AAAC has evolved into a very different forum from the one I joined four years ago. If your idea of an excellent purveyor of men's dress apparel is J.C. Penney and you're partial to T-shirts, jeans, Mickey Mouse watches and the like, it is a far more hospitable environment than it used to be.