• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post photos of your media room!

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Nice system Andre.
smile.gif

You should look at the maple version of the Salamander equipment racks. I bet it would match those Orion speakers wonderfully.

How do you like the Oppo 980H?

Thanks. Those are Sanus stands, which I thought were affordable, and functional, since they don't seem to sell my favorite Target stands in the US anymore. I liked the silver and black look to make the stand kind of match the equipment, and not stand out on its own.

The 980H is great: it plays just about everything (albeit sometimes with more mechanical noise from the drive than I like), is very fast, reliable, and can be easily made region-free. I have it output multichannel PCM from SACDs and DVD-As through HDMI to the MC-12, and it sounds very good. Most of my video watching are also BBC broadcasts friends have recorded for me in PAL, and it's nice that the 980 can output 576i (and 480i) to the VP50 Pro over HDMI so I can use the VP50's fantastic deinterlacing capabilites to make the most out of that material. Have you read Kal Rubinson's impressions of the 980H in the most recent Stereophile?

The Toshiba A3 is kind of the opposite. HD gives a fantastic picture, and the sound is very good, but it's an ergonomic nightmare, and is half-baked. You can crash it most of the time if you use the eject button when the player is off, and it's slower than molasses.

--Andre

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's interesting - I'm purchasing a gift player for someone and was torn between the HD-A30 and the 981HD.

She may be buying a new television soon so I figured a HDMI/1080P player would be ideal, and if I'm going to throw 200+ bucks at it, she may as well get some high-def playback functionality. The speed and the ergonomics of the Toshiba would be secondary to her, as she's neither a video/audiophile nor much of a technical person.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It takes about 30 seconds for the A3 to go from pressing the power button to ejecting the tray, and I think the other Toshibas are no different. Skipping chapters is dreadfully slow, but HD-DVD's overlaid menu system somewhat mitigates that: the HD-DVD menu comes over the video, which is still playing, and you can navigate to different scenes while that's happening. I think the ergonomics of the player may be infuriating for normal people.

Also, HD-DVDs seem to be hard to find locally for sale or rental. I guess it depends on what your friend likes to watch.

--Andre

Bogie

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy an HD DVD player. Warner just went Blu Ray exclusive and it's pretty much agreed that HD DVD is now a dead format.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bogie
I wouldn't buy an HD DVD player. Warner just went Blu Ray exclusive and it's pretty much agreed that HD DVD is now a dead format.

Agreed. HD-DVD is done.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads