• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo II Suit Pants... Alterable???

upstarter

Reaction score
[Note: also posted on another forum by myself]

I have an opportunity to secure a really nice Polo II suit for a pretty decent price. I tried on the jacket (38 S) and it fits very nicely. The pleated pants that come with the suit, however, are a different story. I tend to wear slim fitting pants, but nothing absurd or super tight. The Polo II Suit pants, however, are not slim fitting on me but are HUGE. They look like clown pants. (I'm about 5' 8" and 151 lbs.)

So I'm curious... does anyone have experience turning parachute pants from a nice suit into slimmer pants? Again, I'm not going for super slim, just something that looks reasonable on my body and frame. Also, if I took the pants to a tailor, how much would it cost to have them slimmed down (I'm assuming that means narrowing the legs... maybe shortening the rise)?

Thanks!

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upstarter
[Note: also posted on another forum by myself]

I have an opportunity to secure a really nice Polo II suit for a pretty decent price. I tried on the jacket (38 S) and it fits very nicely. The pleated pants that come with the suit, however, are a different story. I tend to wear slim fitting pants, but nothing absurd or super tight. The Polo II Suit pants, however, are not slim fitting on me but are HUGE. They look like clown pants. (I'm about 5' 8" and 151 lbs.)

So I'm curious... does anyone have experience turning parachute pants from a nice suit into slimmer pants? Again, I'm not going for super slim, just something that looks reasonable on my body and frame. Also, if I took the pants to a tailor, how much would it cost to have them slimmed down (I'm assuming that means narrowing the legs... maybe shortening the rise)?

Thanks!

This shouldn't be too much of a problem, provided the trousers are not really gigantic. If they really are huge, they would need to be re-cut to look any good - this would probably be very difficult and not worth the effort. If you just need to have a slightly too large pair of pants slimmed down, just find yourself a decent tailor. Posting pics would help.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a good deal on a RL Signature Label suit in the Jerome III model at my local RL Factory Store. The Jerome III cut featured pleated pants much like yours. The slimness of the coat did not pair well with the pleated (full) trousers.

I took the trousers to my local RL store and had them altered and the pleats removed. $65 later they looked like a completely different pair of pants. Well worth the money in my opinion.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had my Polo I pants slimmed. The bottom half looks great but I now look like I have child bearing hips. (I don't).
devil.gif

heavyd

Reaction score
this is a non issue and is super easy to achieve even by a dry cleaner (but don't go there) .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads